Sapphire Blue (Ruby Red) by Kerstin Gier

Sapphire Blue (Ruby Red) (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Kerstin Gier, Anthea Bell (Translator)

Member:nbmars
Title:Sapphire Blue (Ruby Red)
Authors:Kerstin Gier
Other authors:Anthea Bell (Translator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, young adult, fantasy, Great Britain, england

Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier (2010)

English (38)  German (3)  All languages (41)
I enjoyed this but I was not as satisfied as I was with the first book of the trilogy. It seems the author is drawing out the plot. In any case I will make an effort at the third book. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
In less than a week, Gwen Shepherd has gone from perfectly normal teenager (with a talent for seeing ghosts) to the Ruby, the last time traveler needed to complete the Circle of Twelve. Forced to involuntarily travel back in time for a few hours every day, Gwen is slowly adjusting to her new life by taking lessons in eighteenth century etiquette and memorizing endless historical facts. No one in the secret society will tell Gwen about her role in the organization, although her cousin Charlotte takes great pleasure in pointing out Gwen’s failings as the Ruby. But thanks to the Googling skills of her friend Leslie and eavesdropping by the invisible demon Xemerius, who adopts Gwen as a sort of pet after realizing she can see him, the society’s desires and goals emerge. If Gwen’s infatuation with Gideon, another time traveler, doesn’t consume her every thought she may be able to uncover the secrets of the Circle of Twelve.

While many people would be thrilled to gain the ability to travel into the past, Gwen definitely isn’t one of them. While she’s not stupid, her interests are all very contemporary: musicals, movies, and other areas of pop culture. As a result, she’s pretty irreverent about the past and doesn’t overly trouble herself with blending in when she time travels. Sometimes this can lead to some pretty funny moments, like when she performs a stirring rendition of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s “Memories” at a fancy ball two hundred years before the song was written. At other times, it can be very poignant; when Gwen meets a young version of her beloved grandfather, she immediately latches on to him, nearly going to tears because she’s so happy to see him alive once more. They form a friendship and on later visits, her grandfather helps fill her in on the details about the secret society governing her modern life.

Don’t all these interactions with the past threaten to create a paradox? Those familiar with science fiction and fantasy might wonder, but such thoughts never cross Gwen’s mind. So far, none of her actions seem to have caused any harm to the time continuum, but of course how would the reader know if it did? The story’s told from Gwen’s point of view.

Gwen’s crush on Gideon explodes into undying love as only the passions of a teenager will do. She’s constantly thinking about him, wondering whether he likes her or is just toying with her. Indiscriminate smooching in churches and flirtatious banter make it seem like Gideon’s into her one minute, but the next he’s ignoring her completely. As I read the story, I feel the same annoyance that always descends when I watch a production of Romeo and Juliet: You’re both teenagers! You’ve known each other less than a week! Of course he doesn’t love you -it’s all hormones and infatuation at this point! But I know that for many readers, the romance is the key draw of the book, not a source of irritation, so to each its own.

It sounds like I’m being really hard on Gwen, criticizing her for being uninformed about history, prone to silliness, and much too obsessed with Gideon. So I just want to make it clear: I like Gwen. I like her a lot. She’s a terribly amusing narrator, constantly coming up with the most interesting phrases to describe events. She’s very warm and affectionate, especially to her young siblings. True, Gwen’s often rather ditzy, but she also manages to be quite clever at times. Her sense of humor really shines through as she’s swept up into a destiny she never expected, making her far more fun than her cousin Charlotte, who grew up into a very serious young woman when she believed she had a special role to one day fulfill.

The book ends on a killer cliffhanger without answering many of the questions first brought up in Ruby Red. I’m so glad I can go out and pick up the last volume today instead of having to wait a year like those who read the book when it was first published. ( )
  makaiju | May 28, 2015 |
I didn't like this book as much as I liked Ruby Red. I thought the first book was funnier and the characters more likeable. And bu characters, I mean Gideon. I almost hate him in this book. I'll understand him more in the next one, as least I hope. But for now, I don't like him very much.

In the main plot, there haven't been any answers to the questions we were left with, on the contrary there are more questions and mysteries.

I really really hope the third book meets my expectations. ( )
  Inessova | Mar 28, 2015 |
Addictive. Can't stop . . . ( )
  Lucifey | Jan 10, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
http://www.BookCrossing.com/journal/12887402 ( )
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |

Kerstin Gierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frank, I could never have done it without you.
London, 14 May 1602  The streets of Southwark were dark and deserted.

Sixteen-year-old Gwen, the newest and final member of the secret time-traveling Circle of Twelve, searches through history for the other time-travelers, aided by friend Lesley, James the ghost, Xemerius the gargoyle demon, and Gideon, the Diamond, whose fate seems bound with hers.… (more)

135 wanted4 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,071,583 books! | Top bar: Always visible