Sapphire Blue (Ruby Red) by Kerstin Gier

Sapphire Blue (Ruby Red) (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Kerstin Gier, Anthea Bell (Translator)

Member:RockingRobin
Title:Sapphire Blue (Ruby Red)
Authors:Kerstin Gier
Other authors:Anthea Bell (Translator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2013, Favorites

Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier (2010)

English (46)  German (3)  All languages (49)
This is a phenomenal book! One of my favorite reads in a long while! It's been a fantastic journey that this book has taken me on! I would highly recommend this book to all ages! It's a trilogy that will occupy anyone's mind with a story worth reading! ( )
  Phoebestone97 | Jun 30, 2016 |
A continuation of the Gweneth's adventures in time travel. She begins to unravel more of the mysteries surrounding the secret society her grandfather belonged to. Leslie her best friend continues to help her find information about the people involved in the master plan of count Saint-Germain. While this book does end, it does leave the reader wanting to finish the series. ( )
  Kay_Downing | Apr 28, 2016 |
I'm really enjoying these characters! There is quite a bit of set-up in this book, but the story is unique so it easily held my attention, even though I still have a few unanswered questions. The last half of the book flew by and the ending knocked my socks off! I'm excited about reading the final book and hope that it lives up to my expectations. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
(Second of 3: Ruby Red trilogy. Fantasy, YA)

This is the second instalment of the time-travel trilogy, translated from German by Anthea Bell.

There are two families, now based in London, with the time-travelling gene; one carries it in the male line and the other in the female line. There are destined to be twelve time travellers in all down through the centuries, and in the first book, Ruby Red, Gwyn discovered that she was the last of them - the long awaited Ruby. There is a secret society that helps them, founded by one of their time traveling ancestors, the self-styled Count Saint-Germaine. It maintains a chronometer which, once a small sample of that time traveller's blood has been entered into it, prevents uncontrolled jumps back in time. Once the blood of all twelve time travellers has been entered, the prophecies say, the Circle will be closed and the Secret that will save the world will be revealed.

Or so Gwyn is told. But there are other secrets and mysteries that seem to be kept from her. And there seem to be deeper mysteries beneath those secrets. The only thing she can do is follow her mother's advice and trust no-one, especially the Count whom she travels back in time to visit with the oh-so-handsome Gideon of the green eyes, who kissed her. But did he kiss her cousin Charlotte, too?

Gwyn and Gideon have a mission - to travel through time and persuade the remaining time travellers to donate their blood. Although most of them did so in their lifetimes, the original chronometer was stolen and now the replacement needs their samples. But why was the first one stolen? And which is the bad side?

I must say I'm still quite baffled. I thought I had it partly worked out ... And then ... But no, maybe not.

This is a light read, quite more-ish but not at all fluffy. There's a bit more action in this second book than the first, and a bit less of modern day London. So far, there haven't been any time paradoxes, which may be due to the Count's Golden Rules which must on no account be broken. I think the giggly friendship with Lesley is nicely portrayed, and she is a good friend to Gwen. Add to the mix a few ghosts and demons and Aunt Maddy's visions and you get a thoroughly engrossing novel. I'm looking forward to the third book and the denouement.

4 star ( )
  humouress | Feb 22, 2016 |
This internationally best-selling series is from Germany and it is no wonder it has been translated for the US, it is fantastic! Taking place in London, both in the present and as far back as the 18th century, the storyline is utterly engrossing. Gwen is a fairly traditional, modern girl that has to suddenly become a chameleon of the past. As stories involving conspiracy and secrets can be, you have to follow the storyline closely and remember who is who, because in a second they might be a deceiver. I loved the inclusion of Xemerius, the gargoyle demon that only Gwen has the ability to see. He added some light-hearted fun to the middle of this trilogy where the story has the ability to lull before the big conclusion. Gier has spun a web with this storyline and I can’t wait to see how the trilogy concludes in Emerald Green. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |

Kerstin Gierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frank, I could never have done it without you.
London, 14 May 1602  The streets of Southwark were dark and deserted.

Sixteen-year-old Gwen, the newest and final member of the secret time-traveling Circle of Twelve, searches through history for the other time-travelers, aided by friend Lesley, James the ghost, Xemerius the gargoyle demon, and Gideon, the Diamond, whose fate seems bound with hers.… (more)

131 wanted4 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,332,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible