Sapphire Blue (Ruby Red) by Kerstin Gier

Sapphire Blue (Ruby Red) (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Kerstin Gier, Anthea Bell (Translator)

Series: Ruby Trilogy (2)

1,1907011,769 (3.98)50
Sixteen-year-old Gwen, the newest and final member of the secret time-traveling Circle of Twelve, searches through history for the other time-travelers, aided by friend Lesley, James the ghost, Xemerius the gargoyle demon, and Gideon, the Diamond, whose fate seems bound with hers.
Member:catthebooklady
Title:Sapphire Blue (Ruby Red)
Authors:Kerstin Gier
Other authors:Anthea Bell (Translator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages

Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier (2010)

English (67)  German (3)  All languages (70)
So much fun! But also Gideon needs to stop being such an asshole please. RTC. ( )
  irisssssssss | Jun 17, 2020 |
Parts of this book are enjoyable. I still like the premise. But I got so annoyed at the characters (pretty much ALL of them, but mostly the main two) that I put the book down for a long while without finishing it, and then liberally skimmed the last third of the book.

Will I finish the series? Maybe. But it's more likely that I'll just read a summary. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
I've had this book sitting in my TBR pile for a while. I had pre-ordered immediately after finishing Ruby Red because I simply could not wait to see what happened next. Then, the book came in and I just never got to it. I finally picked Sapphire Blue up one evening this week because I wanted to read something "easy" for a few minutes before going to bed. Four hours later, I was putting the book down after reading the entire thing. Yeah, it happens.

This book picks up directly after Ruby Red and really covers the next few days. I honestly think that when this trilogy is over, the entire series will have taken place over the course of a couple of weeks. This story is fast paced, fun and different. I like the time travel aspects and I don't worry too much about whether or not something is plausible or if there are plot holes, I just want to have fun when I'm reading and I definitely do here. I hated that I couldn't pick up on Gideon's feelings for Gwen and figure out how what he's thinking but I guess that's good. At least Gwen and Gideon weren't immediately hopelessly in love with each other. I'm very curious to see how things are going to turn out and the mystery will be solved.

And, of course, I immediately went and ordered Emerald Green when I finished Sapphire Blue but it doesn't come out until this fall. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
I am so so utterly delighted to have finally read book two of the Precious Stones trilogy.

It’s been a couple years since I read Ruby Red, but I LOVED it. Gwen took me completely by surprise and I hadn’t been expecting a time travel book (I love time travel) so it became one of my favorite books of 2017 … et voila! Now Sapphire Blue is here and I am excited.

From a purely sensible and logical point of view, Sapphire Blue is not as good as Ruby Red. And that’s to be expected – middle books in trilogies tend to be a means to an end and that’s fine. I’m okay with the bridge between books, if I like the characters enough. And I do. I adore Gwen – she’s sweet and funny and her personality makes me smile.

But it’s not just Gwen. I like everyone here – even Charlotte, who I suspect has more going on beneath the surface than we’re allowed to see. I’m on again and off again about Gideon, but then again, so is Gwen! And I absolutely adore Lesley and the friendship she and Gwen share. So the characters in this book as top rate likable characters.

Then there’s the time travel. The time travel is genuinely well done. The rules are consistent across both books (I’m looking at you, Vortex) and across all applicable characters. Kerstin Geir picked a set of rules and loyally stuck to them.

Plot-wise… I mean… eh? There’s not a lot of exciting plot happening in Sapphire Blue and like I said, I expect that of a middle book. There’s more time travel to more parties and more hints that Stuff Is Going To Happen in Emerald Green. I did like meeting Gwen’s grandfather during her elapses and there are always scenes that make me chuckle, but as for concrete adventure, I feel like not a whole lot happened here except vague setups for the next book. Which is fine, because the characters carried me through.

I continue to be impressed with both Marisa Calin’s narration – which is bubbly and likable – as well as the translation from its original German (done by Anthea Bell). Both interpreters have done and excellent job of bringing Kerstin Geir’s story to life. Although I still think it’s a bit strange Gwen’s name was changed? But that’s neither here nor there. The English translation is lovely and flows well without losing emotion, and the audiobook is very well read.

All and all, I continue to be pleased with this trilogy, and I look forward to reading Emerald Green… hopefully with less of a lapse this time! ( )
  Morteana | Oct 29, 2019 |
I had such high hopes for this trilogy, but halfway through Sapphire Blue (the second book in The Precious Stone Trilogy) by Kirsten Gier, the truth was revealed ... And with truth I mean, either I'll like it enough to put it into my guilty-pleasures book list or I'll despise this trilogy with a fury of a thousand annoyed cats. Sapphire Blue, however, kept me debating on this point for the duration of the book (and for much of Emerald Green too). You see, not a lot of exciting stuff happens. Where Ruby Red was fun and exciting and fast-paced, this book dragged in places. Granted, the stuff that happens is kind of, sort of, important at the end of the day, but it did make me feel like the book was nothing more than a filler.

On the upside, I've read far worse. And for a translated novel, it wasn't half as bad as it could have been. ( )
  MoniqueSnyman | Oct 3, 2019 |

Kerstin Gierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Frank, I could never have done it without you.
London, 14 May 1602  The streets of Southwark were dark and deserted.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,783,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible