Echo Park by Michael Connelly

Echo Park (2006)

by Michael Connelly

Series: Harry Bosch (12), Rachel Walling (3)

English (52)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (59)
In 1993, Marie Gesto disappeared after walking out of a supermarket in Hollywood, LAPD detective Harry Bosch caught the case, but the young woman never turned up, dead or alive, and it was an investigation Bosch couldn't close. Now Bosch works in the Open-Unsolved Unit, where he still keeps the Gesto file on his desk, when he gets a call from the DA. A man accused of two heinous killings is willing to come clean about several others in a deal to avoid the death penalty. One of these is the murder of Marie Gesto. Bosch is now tasked with taking the alleged killer's confession to make sure he is not scamming the authorities to avoid a date with death. In doing so, Bosch must get close to a man he has sought - and hated - for thirteen years. When Bosch learns that he and his partner missed a clue back in 1993 that could have led them to Gesto's killer - and that would have prevented all the murders that followed - his whole being as a cop begins to crack. ( )
  jepeters333 | Sep 4, 2014 |
Another quick Harry Bosch read, although I think this one ended too quickly without tying up all the loose ends as they related to Pratt, Olivas and O'Shea. A good, engaging read and I do hope Kiz will be OK. ( )
  skinglist | Aug 31, 2014 |
[An old review. This was work-time listening and, I think, my first Harry Bosch book. I followed along fairly well, considering it's the 12th book in the series.]

I almost quit listening to this book during, I think, disc 4, because it looked like things were going to go directions I didn't particularly want to deal with in audio book form. Waits had just described what he'd done to the victim from one of Bosch's old cases (one word: necrophilia). He ended by saying that was just the start of what he'd done, and that what he had to say about how he'd dealt with his other victims would be worse. If that were true, I didn't know that I wanted to hear about it all.

I persevered, though, and found myself hooked by all the twisty paths this case took. Every time Bosch thought he knew what was going on, he found out something new that changed things. It got to the point where, whenever Bosch started acting like the newest bit of information was absolute truth, I rolled my eyes a little, because who knew what the next developments would bring?

Most of the book's characters didn't grab me in such a way that I felt the need to read more in this series just to get to know them better. Rachel Walling, an FBI agent and old flame of Bosch's, is around for a good bit of the book, and she and Bosch try to rekindle their relationship. Although their relationship didn't really interest me all that much, I did appreciate that it didn't get in the way of their ability to communicate as professionals. I was a little amused when, shortly after having sex (off-page), they spend time watching a tape of Bosch interviewing a man he thought had done the murder Waits confessed to committing. Perfect movie for a date, right?

I think Kiz Rider, Bosch's partner, actually got less story time than Rachel, so I didn't get to know her quite as well (and it's not like I felt I even knew Rachel all that well – she was mostly a professional presence rather than a personal one). She seemed to be the more computer-literate side of the partnership and was less emotionally connected to the case than Bosch. According to the handy little chart in Wikipedia, Kiz is in at least four books in the series. I'm vaguely curious about whether she gets a larger part in any of those other books, but I think I'd probably be more interested to read how Bosch adapts to new partners.

One of the big things I liked about this book was all the police procedural stuff. I'm not a police officer myself and don't know one personally, so I can't say for sure how accurate any of it is, but it all came across as realistic to me. If you're annoyed by the way fancy technology seems to solve everything in a lot of crime shows on TV anymore, you'll probably like the bit, as I did, where Bosch and Rachel spent hours going through water-damaged documents looking for the information Bosch needed, not even knowing if it was still readable.

I may have to see about reading the next book in the series, if only to find out whether Bosch really did what Rachel accused him of having done. I don't know that the next book would necessarily reveal that, but it would be interesting to see if Bosch were more inclined to do things that didn't fit well with “the way of the true detective” (a phrase that struck me as a little silly and boyish every time it came up, although it's a big part of Bosch and how he sees himself). I was a little surprised at how unaffected Bosch seemed by Rachel's final decision and words, but, then again, the book ended not long after that and Bosch couldn't really confide all of that to Kiz. For one thing, I don't know if their relationship was such that they ever confided much personal stuff to each other, and, for another, Kiz had her own big life changes to worry about.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. My library has more audio books in this series, so I'll probably listen to those at some point.

I thought Len Cariou did a good job as the reader for this book. His voice fit perfectly as Bosch, although all his voices for female characters sounded a bit...weak. It made it a little hard for me to take Rachel seriously.

As far as content goes, like I said, there's no on-page sex, but there is some strong language. It's not something I usually worry over in my reading choices, but I tend to listen to audio books on CD over my computer's speakers, rather than with headphones or earbuds.

(Original review, with read-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Jun 8, 2014 |
Decent police procedural, but I'm going to leave it on the laundry room shelf for my neighbors to enjoy (which may be where I got it). LA policeman Harry Bosch revisits an old case, when the bad guy confesses years later. There is a lot of police work connecting the dots, talking to people, going to crime scenes, etc. Solid but not especially thrilling. ( )
  ennie | Apr 15, 2014 |
Though I missed Michael Connelly's visit to Dublin in late November, I thought it a good time to revisit his Harry Bosch series, it being some time, years even, since I had last read him. My choice was 'Echo Park', for no particular reason other than it being readily to hand. Echo Park was first published in 2006 and is the 12th in the series featuring Los Angeles detective Harry Bosch. In it a convicted killer is ready to admit to a killing thirteen years previously as part of a plea bargain to avoid the death penalty, a case Harry was involved in but which remained unsolved. Harry over the years had revisited the case time after time to see if any further progress could be made, but never to any avail, despite his resolute belief in the guilt of one particular suspect. And now this new development suggests that his long time chief suspect was innocent all along.

Not the most riveting of reads this police procedural, it lacks atmosphere and is a bit formulaic. That said the plot is well enough constructed, but character development is not very strong, Bosch included, mores the pity. Depth of character I like, but it ain't here. An ok read at best, but nothing memorable. I had given this 4 stars first time around but find myself downgrading that to 3 on a second reading, maybe the result of having read a lot of very good crime novels in the interim. ( )
  ebyrne41 | Dec 28, 2013 |

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Paukku, KimmoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tettamanti, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Jane Wood—who keeps Harry Bosch

well fed and close to the heart. Many, many thanks.
It was the car they had been looking for.

Harry Bosch has been haunted by an unsolved case of a young girl’s disappearance eleven years ago. Now it seems to be the killer has been caught, connected to a string of nine other murders. It also seems as if Harry and his partner missed some crucial evidence that could have solved the case and possibly prevented the murders that followed. When the killer escapes, Harry continues to beat himself up thinking this mad man can and will kill more, but are his instincts right, will he slip-up again.....things just aren’t adding up until Harry discovers he is dealing with an even bigger situation than he realizes.

In 1993 Marie Gesto disappeared after walking out of a supermarket. Harry Bosch worked the case but couldn't crack it, and the twenty-two-year-old was never found. Now, more than a decade later, with the Gesto file still on his desk, Bosch gets a call from the District Attorney. A man accused of two heinous murders is willing to come clean about several others, including the killing of Marie Gesto. Taking the confession of the man he has sought-and hated-for thirteen years is bad enough. Discovering that he missed a clue back in 1993 that could have stopped nine other murders may just be the straw that breaks Harry Bosch.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:18 -0400)

Detective Harry Bosch, now in the Open-unsolved Unit, receives a call from the DA telling him a serial killer has confessed to several murders. Harry must interview the man about a case he couldn't crack involving the murder of a 22-year-old woman whose body was never found.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,465,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible