Echo Park by Michael Connelly

Echo Park (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Michael Connelly

Member:christiguc
Title:Echo Park
Authors:Michael Connelly
Info:London: Orion, 2006.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:fiction, american, america, california, los angeles, mystery, crime, male detective, harry bosch, male author, orion publishing, series-12th, bookshelf17

Echo Park by Michael Connelly (2006)

English (55)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (62)
This was an engaging, quick read. It was my first Michael Connelly book, and I'm not a big fan of authors who use the same character in multiple books. I think that's because character development is so important to me in a book and in the case of reappearing characters, each individual book does not have a lot of character development. Because of that, I doubt I'll read another Michael Connelly book.
The story kept me engaged throughout the book and I did find myself wanting to pick it up again and again, however, I thought the ending was disappointing. Everything was just tidied up in the last couple of chapters a little too neatly. Overall, though, it's a good murder mystery novel. ( )
  carebear10712 | Jan 8, 2015 |
I've probably said this about a hundred times on this website, but I think Michael Connelly is excellent, and love the Harry Bosch books.

So I guess it's no surprise that I really enjoyed this story and would definitely recommend it.

I don't want to spoil any twists, but there is one part especially where the character Harry Bosch is led to believe something by another character, and as a reader I genuinely felt the gravity of it and the pain felt by Harry Bosch at this realisation. (I hope that's cryptic enough for people who have read it to know what I mean, and for people who haven't to not have anything spoiled..!)

I also liked the way that the main 'bad guy' in this is written, and the way he is introduced is very cleverly done because, as a reader, you already dislike them before they appear. I also found the legal wranglings and deals going on behind the scenes very entertaining.

Michael Connelly has an incredible ability to really make the reader feel what his characters are going through, and this book is no exception to that.

Highly recommended.
  AngeloMarcos | Jan 6, 2015 |
Did not enjoy this book as good as his others in the series. When he receives word that somebody has confessed to the 1995 homicide of Marie Gesto, Detective Harry Bosch is surprised and relieved. For more than a decade, details of this savage murder had eaten away at the sensitive investigator. His emotions heighten, though, when he hears the murderer speak and learns that police missed a clue that could have led them to Gesto's killer and thus prevented nine subsequent murders. The realization leaves Bosch reeling with uncertainty about his colleagues and his own commitments. ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
In 1993, Marie Gesto disappeared after walking out of a supermarket in Hollywood, LAPD detective Harry Bosch caught the case, but the young woman never turned up, dead or alive, and it was an investigation Bosch couldn't close. Now Bosch works in the Open-Unsolved Unit, where he still keeps the Gesto file on his desk, when he gets a call from the DA. A man accused of two heinous killings is willing to come clean about several others in a deal to avoid the death penalty. One of these is the murder of Marie Gesto. Bosch is now tasked with taking the alleged killer's confession to make sure he is not scamming the authorities to avoid a date with death. In doing so, Bosch must get close to a man he has sought - and hated - for thirteen years. When Bosch learns that he and his partner missed a clue back in 1993 that could have led them to Gesto's killer - and that would have prevented all the murders that followed - his whole being as a cop begins to crack. ( )
  jepeters333 | Sep 4, 2014 |
Another quick Harry Bosch read, although I think this one ended too quickly without tying up all the loose ends as they related to Pratt, Olivas and O'Shea. A good, engaging read and I do hope Kiz will be OK. ( )
  skinglist | Aug 31, 2014 |

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Paukku, KimmoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tettamanti, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Jane Wood—who keeps Harry Bosch

well fed and close to the heart. Many, many thanks.
It was the car they had been looking for.

Harry Bosch has been haunted by an unsolved case of a young girl’s disappearance eleven years ago. Now it seems to be the killer has been caught, connected to a string of nine other murders. It also seems as if Harry and his partner missed some crucial evidence that could have solved the case and possibly prevented the murders that followed. When the killer escapes, Harry continues to beat himself up thinking this mad man can and will kill more, but are his instincts right, will he slip-up again.....things just aren’t adding up until Harry discovers he is dealing with an even bigger situation than he realizes.

In 1993 Marie Gesto disappeared after walking out of a supermarket. Harry Bosch worked the case but couldn't crack it, and the twenty-two-year-old was never found. Now, more than a decade later, with the Gesto file still on his desk, Bosch gets a call from the District Attorney. A man accused of two heinous murders is willing to come clean about several others, including the killing of Marie Gesto. Taking the confession of the man he has sought-and hated-for thirteen years is bad enough. Discovering that he missed a clue back in 1993 that could have stopped nine other murders may just be the straw that breaks Harry Bosch.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:18 -0400)

Detective Harry Bosch, now in the Open-unsolved Unit, receives a call from the DA telling him a serial killer has confessed to several murders. Harry must interview the man about a case he couldn't crack involving the murder of a 22-year-old woman whose body was never found.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,096,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible