Echo Park by Michael Connelly

Echo Park (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Michael Connelly

Member:christiguc
Title:Echo Park
Authors:Michael Connelly
Info:London: Orion, 2006.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:fiction, american, america, california, los angeles, mystery, crime, male detective, harry bosch, male author, orion publishing, series-12th, bookshelf17

Echo Park by Michael Connelly (2006)

Recently added bydjudas, INorris, private library, pmario, TheBookStop, Sharon_Chaffin, MarjorieB

English (58)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (65)
With ex-FBI girlfriend from South Dakota about serial killer in garage tunnel.
  BMacShara | Apr 23, 2015 |
Great story, good ending. ( )
  kenzen | Feb 23, 2015 |
Originally on my book blog

Book:Echo Park
Synopsis: In 1993 Marie Gesto disappeared after walking out of a supermarket. Harry Bosch worked the case but couldn’t crack it, and the twenty-two-year-old was never found. Now, more than a decade later, with the Gesto file still on his desk, Bosch gets a call from the District Attorney.A man accused of two heinous murders is willing to come clean about several others, including the killing of Marie Gesto. Taking the confession of the man he has sought-and hated-for thirteen years is bad enough. Discovering that he missed a clue back in 1993 that could have stopped nine other murders may just be the straw that breaks Harry Bosch.

My review: Harry Bosch once worked a case involving a kidnapped teenager. Thirteen years later, he’s still not sure what happened to her. Now he’s working in Open-Unsolved and has the opportunity to find out what happened to her.
This prologue started out thirteen years prior when he was first alerted of the case. The book then starts off more than a decade later and he’s still caught on the case. Only now, thirteen years later, he finds out that there was a clue he should have seen back then that could have solved the mystery. So will he solve it now? Or will the guilt make it more difficult for him? I was not expecting this book to turn out the way it did but I loved it nonetheless.
I was trying to find a way to describe Harry and how he deals with cases like this, but then I found the quote in the book. Rachel Walling says “Knowing how I have seen you take a case straight to heart, Harry, I wonder, then, if it is wise for you to be dealing with this man now. ”. That describes Harry Bosch to a T. He gets emotionally invested in these cases and wants nothing more than to see justice being served.
And then someone else says “I don’t know you. I know your type. You have an addictive personality, Detective. Murder cases, cigarettes, maybe even the alcohol I can smell coming out of your pores. You’re not that hard to read.” Connelly writes in a way that other characters will explain the main character for us so we can identify better with the main character. Bosch does have an addictive personality and maybe I didn’t realize until I read this line.
I think this book really showed that side of Harry more than most because the whole book is centered around a case that has been eating at him for 10 years. All the other books that I’ve read of his start and end in one book. We do get to see how serious he takes his job, but this one showed how emotional he gets about certain cases, especially ones he never solved.
This is my third Connelly book in a row and I’ve said it in every review: Connelly can write characters extremely well. This one was no different. The characters that I was supposed to hate, I hated. The characters I was supposed to love, I loved. The awesome thing about Connelly’s book is that he’s not only a fantastic character writer, but he’s also good at writing relationships between characters. Rachel Walling shows up in this book and I just love them being together. They’re great work partners but not so great at anything else.
The ending made me really sad for reasons that I’m not going to say because I don’t want to give anything away. I just felt that things didn’t end up in certain areas the way that I wanted them to. It’s still a great book and I would definitely read it again. I would recommend it to anyone that likes crime and mystery novels.
Things I got from this book: Rachel Walling needs her own book series. Bosch does take things to heart in a way that most detectives in other book series’ do. The Open-Unsolved Unit books are probably my favourite right now. ( )
  beearedee | Feb 16, 2015 |
This was an engaging, quick read. It was my first Michael Connelly book, and I'm not a big fan of authors who use the same character in multiple books. I think that's because character development is so important to me in a book and in the case of reappearing characters, each individual book does not have a lot of character development. Because of that, I doubt I'll read another Michael Connelly book.
The story kept me engaged throughout the book and I did find myself wanting to pick it up again and again, however, I thought the ending was disappointing. Everything was just tidied up in the last couple of chapters a little too neatly. Overall, though, it's a good murder mystery novel. ( )
  carebear10712 | Jan 8, 2015 |
I've probably said this about a hundred times on this website, but I think Michael Connelly is excellent, and love the Harry Bosch books.

So I guess it's no surprise that I really enjoyed this story and would definitely recommend it.

I don't want to spoil any twists, but there is one part especially where the character Harry Bosch is led to believe something by another character, and as a reader I genuinely felt the gravity of it and the pain felt by Harry Bosch at this realisation. (I hope that's cryptic enough for people who have read it to know what I mean, and for people who haven't to not have anything spoiled..!)

I also liked the way that the main 'bad guy' in this is written, and the way he is introduced is very cleverly done because, as a reader, you already dislike them before they appear. I also found the legal wranglings and deals going on behind the scenes very entertaining.

Michael Connelly has an incredible ability to really make the reader feel what his characters are going through, and this book is no exception to that.

Highly recommended.
  AngeloMarcos | Jan 6, 2015 |

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Paukku, KimmoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tettamanti, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Jane Wood—who keeps Harry Bosch

well fed and close to the heart. Many, many thanks.
It was the car they had been looking for.

Harry Bosch has been haunted by an unsolved case of a young girl’s disappearance eleven years ago. Now it seems to be the killer has been caught, connected to a string of nine other murders. It also seems as if Harry and his partner missed some crucial evidence that could have solved the case and possibly prevented the murders that followed. When the killer escapes, Harry continues to beat himself up thinking this mad man can and will kill more, but are his instincts right, will he slip-up again.....things just aren’t adding up until Harry discovers he is dealing with an even bigger situation than he realizes.

In 1993 Marie Gesto disappeared after walking out of a supermarket. Harry Bosch worked the case but couldn't crack it, and the twenty-two-year-old was never found. Now, more than a decade later, with the Gesto file still on his desk, Bosch gets a call from the District Attorney. A man accused of two heinous murders is willing to come clean about several others, including the killing of Marie Gesto. Taking the confession of the man he has sought-and hated-for thirteen years is bad enough. Discovering that he missed a clue back in 1993 that could have stopped nine other murders may just be the straw that breaks Harry Bosch.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:37 -0400)

Detective Harry Bosch, now in the Open-unsolved Unit, receives a call from the DA telling him a serial killer has confessed to several murders. Harry must interview the man about a case he couldn't crack involving the murder of a 22-year-old woman whose body was never found.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,414,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible