Heidegger and a Hippo Walk Through Those…

by Thomas Cathcart (Author)

Member:grunin
Title:Heidegger and a Hippo Walk Through Those Pearly Gates: Using Philosophy (and Jokes!) to Explore Life, Death, the Afterlife, and Everything in Between
Authors:Thomas Cathcart (Author)
Info:Viking Adult (2009), Edition: First Edition, 224 pages
Tags:Philosophy, Humor

Heidegger and a Hippo Walk Through Those Pearly Gates: Using Philosophy (and Jokes!) to Explore Life, Death, the Afterlife, and Everything in Between by Thomas Cathcart

Unlike their earlier book, [b:Plato and a Platypus Walk Into a Bar: Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes|180995|Plato and a Platypus Walk Into a Bar Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes|Thomas Cathcart|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1222897338s/180995.jpg|2402271], which was brilliant and witty, this book is neither. They can be forgiven for the heavy subject matter, death, the soul, and afterlife, and for the depressed philosophers who dwelled on them, but not for bad jokes! There are plenty of opportunities for black humor, but I found little that was funny. The jokes seem terribly strained and not very clever whether taken in or out of context. Of course, they may say that I didn't like it because I am in denial, just like everybody else who has not chosen suicide, but I got more pleasure out of reading the existentialist philosophers themselves than listening to this book. I guess they've reached the limit of how far one can carry this style, but I'll give them an extra star for trying. ( )
  MidwestGeek | Dec 29, 2017 |
The third in their series of philosophy and jokes books - using jokes to discuss and describe philosophical topics. Probably the best of the three, definitely far better than their second one about politics (and I think better than their original broad-topic one). Death is such a tough topic for so many, that its great to see philosophers and their issues with it, as well as jokes to lighten the mood of it. Great entertaining fun quick read. Looking forward to more from them in hopefully what will be a long series of philosophy/joke books. ( )
  BenKline | Aug 7, 2016 |
A continuation of Plato and the Platypus but not as good. It uses jokes to talk about the philosophy of death. ( )
  M_Clark | Apr 27, 2016 |
Much like their previous Plato and a Platypus Walk Into a Bar, Cathcart and Klein's Heidegger and a Hippo... offers a lighthearted sampling of philosophical concepts paired with ample jokes. Certainly not a serious introduction to any of these philosophers or schools of thought, but a silly and entertaining book. ( )
  Matthew.Ducmanas | Mar 18, 2016 |
Review on Shelf Notes

Dear Reader,

This book made me roll my eyes so much they almost fell out of my eye sockets. What do you get when you mix really dumb jokes with basic philosophy? You'd think something interesting and fun, this was the opposite of that. Maybe it wasn't just for me... maybe it was meant for someone with a different sense of humor. The jokes just didn't get me going AT ALL. I laughed maybe once, if even that. However, I do believe there is an audience out there that could be intrigued by a book like this, pre-teen or maybe teens just starting out with philosophy. I could also see this being strongly suited to people who like a light listen in audio book format. I really think this format is the only way to experience the book. I wish I could give this more praise but this just wasn't for me.

Happy Reading,
AmberBug ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |

Thomas Cathcartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Klein, Danielmain authorall editionsconfirmed
For our philosophical mentor, Woody Allen, whose astute phenomenological analysis rings true to this day: "It is impossible to experience one's own death objectively and still carry a tune."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0670020834, Hardcover)

From the authors of the bestselling Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar, an uproarious new book on the meaning of death (and life, too)

The new book by the bestselling authors of Plato and a Platypus Walk Into a Bar is a hilarious take on the philosophy, theology, and psychology of mortality and immortality. That is, Death. The authors pry open the coffin lid on this one, looking at the Big D and also its prequel, Life, and its sequel, the Hereafter. Philosophers such as Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Camus, and Sartre have been wrestling with the meaning of death for as long as they have been wrestling with the meaning of life. Fortunately, humorists have been keeping pace with the major thinkers by creating gags about dying. Death’s funny that way—it gets everybody’s attention.

Death has gotten a bad rap. It’s time to take a closer look at what the Deep Thinkers have to say on the subject, and there are no better guides than Cathcart and Klein.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:43 -0400)

Explores death and the afterlife from lighthearted philosophical, theological, and psychological perspectives that consider that death may not be such a pessimism-inducing state.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,919,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible