Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

This Is Where I Leave You: A Novel by…

This Is Where I Leave You: A Novel (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Jonathan Tropper (Author)

Member:RobinBrz
Title:This Is Where I Leave You: A Novel
Authors:Jonathan Tropper (Author)
Info:Plume (2010), Edition: Reprint, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper (2009)

English (139)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (141)
I enjoyed this story of the Foxman family: Mom and her lover, Wendy (with husband Barry and 3 kids), Paul (with wife Alice), Judd (recently separated from Jen who is sleeping with his former boss) and Philip (with almost-fiancee Tracey). They have come together to sit shiva for their husband/father, Mort. This is a family who doesn't spend much time together, and are somehow both very close and somewhat distant from each other. The writing is good, the story flows well and often had me laughing out loud. There are some deep themes here about relationships, but they aren't really explored -- this is more of a plot driven novel. And because the focus was on the plot, I was a bit disappointed in the ending -- this is one (rare) time I would have liked things tied up just a little bit more. ( )
  LynnB | Dec 23, 2018 |
A wildly dysfunctional family reluctantly gathers to sit shiva for their late father, with complications both blackly humorous and sad. Old wounds are reopened, punches are thrown, unlikely or unwise sexual liaisons are accomplished. That Tropper manages to make any of this funny is little short of miraculous, but there are also tedious segments to endure. Rather like the seven days of mourning, I suppose. ( )
  LyndaInOregon | Dec 14, 2018 |
Funny and insightful story of a family forced to spend a week together. There are sentences I had to reread to fully appreciate their brilliance! ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
3.5 rounded up to 4.
For the first 40% or so of this book, I thought it was easily going to be a 5 star read for me. It was crude, but in just the right way, and I caught myself laughing out loud to some parts. Sadly, as the book continued (while still entertaining) it just lost something. I would still recommend this book to others. ( )
  jynxmecrazie | Jul 15, 2018 |
It’s hard to find fault with a story as entertaining as this. The dysfunctional Foxman family has its own appeal as they try, and mostly fail, to unite during their time of mourning.
There were some critics though. It was pointed out that all the women in the book were either beautiful and desirable, or completely beyond their use-by date. It made for a clear misogynistic under tone that irritated some of our readers. There was also a certain degree of frustration with some of the characters and their lack of maturity. But in saying that, there would go most of the entertainment value!
Relatable social issues provided some poignant moments, although it was mostly agreed that they were not dealt with in any deep and meaningful way. There seemed to be a clear attempt to keep the story light, and in many ways written specifically for the screen. Not surprising, as Tropper is a screen writer.
This book scored high with most of us and everyone read it quickly and with ease, which says something for its general appeal. A few of us will read another Tropper when we are in the mood for such a book. But will Judd and his incorrigible family stay with us as a memorable read?
Now, which one was Judd again? ( )
  jody12 | Jun 5, 2018 |

Jonathan Tropperprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ocampo, Ramon deNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mom and Dad
"Dad's dead," says Wendy offhandedly, like it's happened before, like it happens every day.
This "work" contains copies without enough information. The title might refer to the book or its movie adaptation, so this "work" should not be combined with any of them. If you are an owner of one of these copies, please add information that can help identify its rightful home, such as author/director name. After editing your copy, it might still need further separation and recombination work. Feel free to ask in the Combiners! group if you have questions or need help. Thanks.

Judd Foxman is thrown together with his dysfunctional family when his father dies, while at the same time coping with his wife's infidelity and the end of his marriage.

Plume

An edition of this book was published by Plume.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,466,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible