This Is Where I Leave You: A Novel by…

This Is Where I Leave You: A Novel (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Jonathan Tropper (Author)

Member:RobinBrz
Title:This Is Where I Leave You: A Novel
Authors:Jonathan Tropper (Author)
Info:Plume (2010), Edition: Reprint, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper (2009)

English (133)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All (135)
Poor Judd! It’s not enough that his wife was unfaithful with his boss, that he loses his job and his home, and that his father has died. Now he has to honor his father’s dying wish that his family sits shiva for him. Forced to spend seven days in close quarters with his dysfunctional mother and siblings and their families, Judd must confront his feelings about his past and his future. How well does he know his family? Or himself? This novel is a hodgepodge of pathos, hope, sorrow, regrets, and violence, and is liberally laced with humor and profanity. Certainly not a novel that everyone will enjoy, but deep within these pages are some profound truths. These characters may not be the kind of people you’d invite often to your home, but you’d sure want to know all about them! ( )
  Maydacat | Jul 22, 2017 |
This book is about Judd Foxman, whose life is suddenly thrown into turmoil when his wife Jen leaves him for Judd's boss, a shock-jock radio personality. So Judd has lost his wife, his job, and his home. Later Jen announces she is pregnant. Then his father dies after a long illness and his last request is that Judd, his three dysfunctional siblings and their mother spend the week sitting shivah. Although Judd experiences a lot of angst and is going through difficult times, the author doesn't let things get too dark before he injects a healthy bit of humor. There are some truly hilarious moments throughout the book that had me laughing out loud. The relationships between the siblings were very real, twisted and complicated and violent and touching. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
So, I was looking back on my rating of this novel and was confused as to why I gave it just three stars instead of four. It was funny, heartbreaking, well-written and very real. I am actually looking forward to seeing the film because as I was reading it, I kept imagining it as movie - it seems like it would make for a very good actor's film.

Then I remembered why I couldn't bring myself to eke out one more star for this novel. I read this book along with a string of other novels where the plot revolves around the characters being thrown together back home with other family members because of a parent's illness or death, etc. I think I read this while I was also reading The Weird Sisters and The Corrections and I had probably just grown tired of that storyline. I would probably have to say I enjoyed it the most of the group.

adin18 | Jun 8, 2017 |
No surprise that this book was turned into a movie starring Jason Bateman, the classic unthreatening middle-aged, middle-class, middle distance runner of tragicomic dramas. The book was written to be made into a film. The director of Little Miss Sunshine once remarked that every writer gets to use one instance of unlikely coincidence, and he used his when Steve Carrel's character runs into his former student and love interest at a gas station store. Tropper uses over a dozen such moments -- just unlikely occurrences that wouldn't happen ever. Every character seems to be suffering from a stereotypical mid-life crisis at the exact same time, and yet no one is changed from the experience. It's a light read, great for the beach which is why I originally purchased it, but it's a little over the top with its cinematic fight and sex scenes clearly included with a movie option in mind. If you've seen the movie trailers, prepare to be disappointed -- Tina Fey's character doesn't deliver a knock-out punch with her princess-cut diamond ring. ( )
1 vote Virginia-A | Dec 21, 2016 |
I started listening to this book on April 11, 2014 and realized I had already read it. So I didn't continue to listen to it as I rarely read a book twice since there are too many books I want to read. I'm guessing at the dates I read this the first time. I will say the portion that I did listen to brought back memories of this book. It is very enjoyable, witty, and kept my attention. It will make a good movie. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Mom and Dad
"Dad's dead," says Wendy offhandedly, like it's happened before, like it happens every day.
This "work" contains copies without enough information. The title might refer to the book or its movie adaptation, so this "work" should not be combined with any of them. If you are an owner of one of these copies, please add information that can help identify its rightful home, such as author/director name. After editing your copy, it might still need further separation and recombination work. Feel free to ask in the Combiners! group if you have questions or need help. Thanks.

Judd Foxman is thrown together with his dysfunctional family when his father dies, while at the same time coping with his wife's infidelity and the end of his marriage.

Plume

An edition of this book was published by Plume.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,487,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible