This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan…

This Is Where I Leave You (edition 2009)

by Jonathan Tropper

Title:This Is Where I Leave You
Authors:Jonathan Tropper
Info:Dutton Adult (2009), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages

This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper

English (117)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (119)
A true comic drama, my favorite genre. All of the characters are so incredibly well-drawn and believable, and the family dynamic is just brilliant. Loved this. ( )
  KimHooperWrites | Sep 27, 2015 |
One of the books i intended to read before the film came out but never got around to until now. It’s about a dysfunctional family who spends a week together upon the request of their late father. Aside from grieving for their father and trying to get along with other family members, each character also faces his/her own emotional dilemma. Take Judd for example, who caught his wife cheating with his boss; that scene is one of the funniest and disturbing openings I’ve read in a while. Sometimes heartwarming, at times cringe-worthy and mostly hilarious, I recommend this for adult readers. It’s written by Jonathan Tropper, told through the point of view of a guy who is questioning his marriage and masculinity, among other things. This was an entertaining read, I give this 4 stars. I wonder if the film adaptation captured the heart of the story. ( )
  VavaViolet | Sep 1, 2015 |
This is the story of four adult children and their mother who are forced to be together after the death of their father/husband. In the Jewish tradition they are "sitting shiva," which means that they stay together in the same house, sit on very low chairs and for seven days, they receive visitors who offer condolences for the deceased. Considering that they have not been together for years and each member is quite dysfunctional in their own way, it is an interesting and often humorous read. Much of the story is told in flashbacks and gives some understanding of how the family got to where they are now. Overall, I think it is a story of family love (and sometimes hate) and understanding in the midst of dysfunction, chaos and new revelations. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
His father's dying wish was that his family sit shiva. Seven days. Devastating and yet riotously funny...a truly laugh out loud funny. Hated to see it end. ( )
  tnociti | Mar 30, 2015 |
This is the first book that I read by Jonathan Tropper but it won't be the last. There were times in this book that I laughed out loud and times that I was very sad. Being from a large family, I identified with some of the struggles that the Foxman family went trough and I thought that the author did a fantastic job with the dynamics of the family. Judd is one of four children in a family with a distant father and a pop psychologist mother. When the family arrives at the father's funeral, they find out that he has requested that the family sit shiva - which means seven days for them all to spend together - along with spouses and children - under one roof. The results alternate between funny and sad. This is a great read and I am planning to read more of this author's books in the future. ( )
  susan0316 | Feb 1, 2015 |
Mom and Dad
"Dad's dead," says Wendy offhandedly, like it's happened before, like it happens every day.

Judd Foxman is thrown together with his dysfunctional family when his father dies, while at the same time coping with his wife's infidelity and the end of his marriage.

An edition of this book was published by Plume.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,702,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible