This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan…

This Is Where I Leave You (edition 2009)

by Jonathan Tropper

1,443None5,265 (3.92)42
Member:jen.ireland
Title:This Is Where I Leave You
Authors:Jonathan Tropper
Info:Dutton Adult (2009), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*****

This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper

2009 (8) 2010 (17) 2011 (8) 2013 (13) adultery (18) contemporary (8) death (43) divorce (15) dysfunctional families (8) dysfunctional family (11) ebook (18) family (65) fiction (168) funny (9) grief (16) humor (54) infidelity (9) Jewish (26) Judaism (12) Kindle (16) library (8) marriage (11) novel (14) read (15) read in 2009 (11) read in 2010 (12) relationships (13) Shiva (33) siblings (11) to-read (39)

English (89)  Dutch (1)  All languages (90)
I'm actually surprised I liked this book so much. I really liked Jonathan Tropper's writing style. It's straight forward and to the point. Not a ton of depth to these characters and some aren't even likeable until the end. I had also thought the ending was going to go a bit differently and am happy that the author took it in another direction. This would make a good beach/vacation read with it's short chapters and playful undertones. ( )
  CinderH | Apr 2, 2014 |
Quick read, lots of fun. enjoyed the story and the characters. ( )
  lloyd1175 | Mar 22, 2014 |
Funny, heartbreaking, insightful. ( )
  joyhclark | Mar 13, 2014 |
I dare you to find a more dysfunctional family then the one Jonathan Trooper lovingly paints a portrait of in this zany and ingenious novel. It's a funny and brutally honest read.

Judd Foxman has hit a bit of a rough patch. His wife of ten years has been cheating on him with his boss forcing him to move out and live in a damp basement, and his father just died. To top it all off, his father's dying request had been for his family to sit Shiva for seven days, so now Judd is stuck with his crazy family for a full week. Between his three siblings, mother, extended family, and constant stream of mourners it will be a miracle if they make it out alive.

Jonathon Tropper does an amazing job of bringing his quirky characters to life, and even though you hate their flaws, you end up loving them all for their downright craziness. This is a family you wish you would have lived by, they're so dysfunctional, they're fun.

A witty read, recommended to all. ( )
  ecataldi | Feb 6, 2014 |
Sometimes I'm just happy to read a book that's so well writen! Sigh. Okay. I'm done.
This book follows the character of Jude, who's been recently cuckolded by his boss, which has forced him to quit, move out of his house and into a janky basement, and start to get "soft" around the middle. Judd's stoic father has just passed away (as if it can't get any worse for Judd), so he travels to be with his family who he really only seems to like as much as the tip of his pinky, but their dysfunctional sarcasm and veiled loving remarks are really what crack a smile and elicit a giggle from the reader several times. Who doesn't love some good sibling jabs?

Judd's father has requested that they all sit shiva for the traditional 7 days, and his descriptions of sitting on a low-to-the-ground shiva chair, face to face with wrinkly saggy legs, is hilarious.
Judd's mother is a well-known published child psychologist who wears scandalous clothing and openly discusses sex the whole week. Judd's oldest sister Wendy ignores her husband who has his phone attached to his head all week, and her 3 squealing children, while his brother Paul and wife Alice express fertiility frustration problems, and to round it off, the youngest brother Philip, a handsome screw-up, waltzes home with a 44 year old fiance.

It's very well written, the characters have really stuck with me, and I laughed out loud several times and cried once. ( )
  javagg | Jan 22, 2014 |
Mom and Dad
"Dad's dead," says Wendy offhandedly, like it's happened before, like it happens every day.

"The death of Judd Foxman's father marks the first time that the entire Foxman family including Judd's mother, brothers, and sister - has been together in years. Conspicuously absent: Judd's wife, Jen, whose fourteen-month affair with Judd's radio-shock-jock boss has recently become painfully public." "Simultaneously mourning the death of his father and the demise of his marriage, Judd joins the rest of the Foxmans as they reluctantly submit to their patriarch's dying request: to spend the seven days following the funeral together. In the same house. Like a family." "As the week quickly spins out of control, long-standing grudges resurface, secrets are revealed, and old passions reawakened. For Judd, it's a week long attempt to make sense of the mess his life has become while trying in vain not to get sucked into the regressive battles of his madly dysfunctional family. All of which would be hard enough without the bomb Jen dropped the day Judd's father died: She's pregnant."."This Is Where I Leave You is Jonathan Tropper's most accomplished work to date, a riotously funny, emotionally raw novel about love, marriage, divorce, family, and the ties that bind - whether we like it or not."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Plume

An edition of this book was published by Plume.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,471,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible