This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan…

This Is Where I Leave You (edition 2009)

by Jonathan Tropper

Member:jen.ireland
Title:This Is Where I Leave You
Authors:Jonathan Tropper
Info:Dutton Adult (2009), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*****

This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper

English (93)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (95)
Pretty thoroughly enjoyable story. It ended as ambiguously as it needed to, I think. My only reservation is the very last bit in which it seems like the protagonist is still feeding into a fantasy, despite his assertions to the contrary, that the only thing there is to look forward to is finding the same sort of situation that set up his very predicament in the story. But maybe that's part of the ambiguity. Some other reader probably thinks he totally learned his lesson.

The movie will probably be just as enjoyable. ( )
  aridjon | Jul 5, 2014 |
It's good, moves very fast. Very funny, beginning with the sight gag opening which should translate very well to film. I almost gave up a few times because of the amount of profanity and sexual content. But I tried not to take it personally that they--that nebulous "they", authors, publishers?--think the market demands those things. I am glad I persisted. I even enjoyed the various "messages" communicated at the very , very end. I liked that overall the novel is not preachy though. ( )
  nbsp | Jul 4, 2014 |
The story was not particularly original or deep, but Tropper's writing is lovely. He tells the story from the main character's point of view with humour, lots of feeling and originality. I laughed and was occasionally teary -- makes a book worth reading to me. ( )
1 vote Eesil | Jun 10, 2014 |
completed 5/10/14. Dysfunctional family drama, cheating spouses, dead father ( )
  bookmagic | May 10, 2014 |
I'm actually surprised I liked this book so much. I really liked Jonathan Tropper's writing style. It's straight forward and to the point. Not a ton of depth to these characters and some aren't even likeable until the end. I had also thought the ending was going to go a bit differently and am happy that the author took it in another direction. This would make a good beach/vacation read with it's short chapters and playful undertones. ( )
1 vote CinderH | Apr 2, 2014 |
Mom and Dad
"Dad's dead," says Wendy offhandedly, like it's happened before, like it happens every day.

"The death of Judd Foxman's father marks the first time that the entire Foxman family including Judd's mother, brothers, and sister - has been together in years. Conspicuously absent: Judd's wife, Jen, whose fourteen-month affair with Judd's radio-shock-jock boss has recently become painfully public." "Simultaneously mourning the death of his father and the demise of his marriage, Judd joins the rest of the Foxmans as they reluctantly submit to their patriarch's dying request: to spend the seven days following the funeral together. In the same house. Like a family." "As the week quickly spins out of control, long-standing grudges resurface, secrets are revealed, and old passions reawakened. For Judd, it's a week long attempt to make sense of the mess his life has become while trying in vain not to get sucked into the regressive battles of his madly dysfunctional family. All of which would be hard enough without the bomb Jen dropped the day Judd's father died: She's pregnant."."This Is Where I Leave You is Jonathan Tropper's most accomplished work to date, a riotously funny, emotionally raw novel about love, marriage, divorce, family, and the ties that bind - whether we like it or not."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Plume

An edition of this book was published by Plume.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,625,553 books! | Top bar: Always visible