This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan…

This Is Where I Leave You (edition 2009)

by Jonathan Tropper

Member:jen.ireland
Title:This Is Where I Leave You
Authors:Jonathan Tropper
Info:Dutton Adult (2009), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*****

This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper

English (130)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (132)
I started listening to this book on April 11, 2014 and realized I had already read it. So I didn't continue to listen to it as I rarely read a book twice since there are too many books I want to read. I'm guessing at the dates I read this the first time. I will say the portion that I did listen to brought back memories of this book. It is very enjoyable, witty, and kept my attention. It will make a good movie. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
And I thought my family was messed up . . . ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Judd Foxman is having the worst time. He just found his wife cheating on him and his father just died. As if that was bad enough, his father's last wish was that the family sit Shiva for seven days. Judd and his brothers and sister aren't the closest of siblings and their mother is something else entirely. It's going to be an interesting week to say the least. I can't say that I liked all the characters, but I certainly found them all interesting, even the minor ones that came to pay their respects. I found this funny, even in the midst of the mourning. I will be seeking out more from this author. Now I should go watch the movie. ( )
  Jen_Bartels | May 31, 2016 |
I loved this book. I think the author did a great job creating a compelling, realistic character and dynamic between the family. For people complaining about the casual sexism - I found it more a commentary on our society and the characters' own childhood/mommy issues rather than the author being sexist.

I saw Judd and his sibling's prudism and constant condescension to their mother as a consequence of their overly open upbringing.

I have to say I liked Jen's character the least - not because she was the cheater, but because she constantly made excuses for her behaviour and tried to make everything about herself.

I wish Wendy and Horry's relationship had been explored a bit more. This book needed more Wendy, in general, I would say. Also, what happens to Alice and her little tryst with Judd? Does she get preggers? Does Paul ever find out. Unless there's a sequel in the works, these are some lose ends I would've loved to have seen tied up. ( )
  meowism | May 17, 2016 |
The death of Judd Foxman's father marks the first time that the entire Foxman clan has congregated in years. There is, however, one conspicuous absence: Judd's wife, Jen, whose affair with his radio- shock-jock boss has recently become painfully public. Simultaneously mourning the demise of his father and his marriage, Judd joins his dysfunctional family as they reluctantly sit shiva-and spend seven days and nights under the same roof. The week quickly spins out of control as longstanding grudges resurface, secrets are revealed and old passions are reawakened. Then Jen delivers the clincher: she's pregnant. ( )
  bpascoe | Apr 16, 2016 |
Mom and Dad
"Dad's dead," says Wendy offhandedly, like it's happened before, like it happens every day.

Judd Foxman is thrown together with his dysfunctional family when his father dies, while at the same time coping with his wife's infidelity and the end of his marriage.

Plume

An edition of this book was published by Plume.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,511,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible