How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less…

How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Sarah Glidden

Member:SadieOldenkamp
Title:How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less
Authors:Sarah Glidden
Info:Vertigo (2011), Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:***

How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less by Sarah Glidden (2010)

Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City by Guy Delisle (lorax)
    lorax: As "graphic novels about visiting Israel" the connection is obvious, but the benefits of reading both do go beyond that. Delisle's stay is considerably longer, but he sees less of the country, and more day-to-day life; Glidden's on a highly managed trip where she sees more of the tourist sites, but none of the settlements (where Delisle spends much of his time). They complement each other well.… (more)

What a weird book for me to read.

If not for Alaina, this wouldn't have even touched my radar.. at all. For starters, I'm not religious in the slightest so that alone is enough to turn me off of this book. Also, I have no fundamental knowledge of what's going on in Israel. Well, I know that there is what appears to be a conflict with no end in sight, but other than that - nothing.

Don't confuse my lack of knowledge with a lack of interest, however, as I've always been interested in "what's going on over there". When the topic comes up in any conversation (which trust me is rare), I usually refrain from giving an opinion in an effort to mask my ignorance. While I'm not a fairly political guy - and I'll be the first to proclaim my apathy towards international issues - I'd like to have some sort of basic understanding. So when this book was recommended (and combined with the attractive title), I gave it a shot.

Now, I don't want to give anyone the impression that after I put this down I declared myself an authority on all Palestinian/Israeli matters. If anything, I doubt I'll ever fully understand it. I can say that Glidden at least gave me an idea of what all this fighting is over and that's a whole lot better than what I knew before hand.

Her story is an interesting one and while at times I found her overly dramatic, I can't say that I can tell her how she should act in this kind of environment. I really respect that while she admitted to having a huge bias upon starting her journey, she ended without beating over your head who is "right" and who is "wrong".

Why the 3 stars? I guess because when you break down the star system, 3 stars translates into "I liked it". So while I thought the artwork was beautifully done, I can't see this really having an impact on me in the long term. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
Yep! It's a graphic memoir and I thoroughly enjoyed it. When [[Sarah Glidden]] is granted a free trip to Israel by Birthright Israel, she spends a couple of months studying the country and the conflict attempting to develop a balanced perspective.

The trip for her is part educational tour by Birthright, and part personal tour as she makes arrangements to visit Israel on her own, as well as the Gaza Strip, as she moves from under the influence of Birthright. Glidden discovers differences between beliefs and perspectives in Birthright's tour guides as well as other people. Just when she thinks she has things figured out she receives new information that changes things. Her conclusion seems to be that this conflict is extremely complicated and she is unable to take a side. THAT of course, is part of her coming of age story.

For me, the main part of the memoir is Glidden's emotional struggle. That is often where graphic books shine for me - facial expressions, etc. Additionally, the beauty of Israel is very well painted in watercolor. I am new to graphic books; this is about the 6th one I have read. Recommended for those interested in Israel/Palestine conflict, perhaps as a beginning. ( )
1 vote mkboylan | Apr 9, 2013 |
This is a nice little graphic memoir and a decent primer for understanding the history of Israel and the conflict between Jews and Palestinians. It depicts the month-long "Birthright Tour" of 26-year old Sarah, a non-religious American Jew with pro-Palestinian beliefs. We accompany her on her travels around Israel, and we learn more about the complex and nuanced issues facing that region. Glidden also explores some of her internal strife and self-doubt as she comes to see that there are multiple perspectives and that her firmly held beliefs are not impervious to challenge. She also learns that she can feel close to someone, respect that someone, and hold an opposing perspective.

I'm glad I read this and I do recommend it. It dragged on a bit and Glidden's characters do not emerge from the page with as much richness as, say, those in Art Speigelman's Maus, but that's a high bar to set and I hope Glidden's work reaches an expanding audience. ( )
  EBT1002 | Jan 15, 2013 |
How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less
By: Sarah Glidden
Awards: N/A
This non-fiction autobiographical graphic novel focuses on Sarah Glidden, a young Jewish woman living in the United States. She has strong opinions about the problems in the Middle East involving Palestine and Israel. When her mother encourages her to go on a birthright trip to Israel with her best friend, her worldview is changed forever. The title of the novel is definitely accurate because it does successfully teach about the complicated Israeli problems in less than 60 days. The reader joins Sarah in agreeing with her views full heartedly, but later seeing that the issues are more even more complicated than what the reader and Sarah originally thought. It focuses on both sides, and isn’t biased toward either way of looking at things. It does a good job of letting the reader come to their own conclusions, while giving them the information that is needed to be able to fully understand the issues in a very non-threatening and entertaining way. The artwork is simple, but it beautifully adds to the story. Unlike most graphic novels, the artwork is actually in colour. Not only does it describe the beauty, and mysteriousness of Israel with words, but readers are able to see it for themselves. I would recommend this book for anyone who has any questions about Israel and are too afraid to ask. I would also recommend this book for teachers, who have to teach this delicate topic in social studies class. I would give this book 4.5/5 stars. ( )
  PamelaAmyotte3 | Dec 5, 2012 |
[How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less] by [[Sarah Glidden] is a graphic novel about a birthright trip to Israel that the author took in 2007. As you may know, there's a program that offers a free educational trip to Israel to North American Jews between the ages of 18-26. My wife did this many years ago right after the 6 day war, and found the trip transformative. My knowledge of Israel is relatively slim compared to hers, so I looked forward to learning more about it through this book (that probably says something revealing about my learning habits - always go to the comic book first).

Glidden goes into the trip with strong feelings about Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and the need to trade land for peace. She expects to be inundated with pro-Israeli propaganda when she gets there, and is prepared with a lot of skepticism and wisecracks. The artwork is engaging and well done as she travels all over Israel. She does encounter some of the expected propaganda, but more often finds herself engaged in nuance conversations that show her the problems, and potential resolutions are much more complicated than she suspected. Her sympathy to the plight of the Palestinians helps make this a more even-handed book than it might have been, and her reluctant acknowledgment of the legitimacy of views not matching hers brings credibility and liveliness to the memoir. It's not black and white, and underlying every inch of territory and beliefs in Israel is a vast amount of influential history. At times she finds herself overwhelmed with emotion as her political understanding evolves along with her concept of her Jewish identity.

She does a good job of making it entertaining for the reader, with fanciful interludes as she gets bored or tries to sort out the issues. In one she is representing both sides in a trial, and also is the judge. “This court is now in session to hear the case of ‘Birthright is trying to brainwash me vs. Birthright is actually pretty reasonable,” Judge Glidden announces to the Glidden lawyers. She mocks some of her fellow travelers, and herself when she does something awkward. Swimming in the salty Dead Sea is far from romantic, and she notices only the tourists do it, while the locals stay on the beach. At one point a Muslim shopkeeper points out how much like New York his section of Jerusalem is, with its varied mix of people. Turns out he used to live in New York and is a Yankees fan. He jokingly threatens not to sell her some earrings when he finds out she’s a Red Sox booster. It gives a welcome and different perspective on the many enmities and suspicions that lie in the background and can suddenly come to the fore.

It is not all tied up neatly in a package by the end, but the reader does better, if not completely, understand Israel. It is fun to follow Sarah as she starts to really get exposed to the country and its people, which in some ways takes off during a Purim parade. She begins to get beyond her tunnel-visioned political concerns and experience the country's vibrancy and diversity, and at the same time she starts realizing how at home she feels when surrounded by people like her. Along the way she encounters Americans who have relocated to Israel for those reasons.

Anyway, she packs a lot into a comic book, and I can see why it has gotten so many accolades. I've recommended it to my birthright trip-taking wife. I hope that this memoir triggers even more memories of her own trip to this fascinating area that could be considered the heart of much of our planet. ( )
4 vote jnwelch | Nov 5, 2012 |
Hmm... Should I just leave these behind then?

"Glidden, a progressive American Jew who is sharply critical of Israeli policies vis-á-vis the Occupied Territories, went on an all-expense-paid 'birthright' trip to Israel in an attempt to discover some grand truths at the heart of the Arab-Israeli conflict. This graphic memoir tells the touching and often funny story of her utter failure to do so."--Amazon.com.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,601,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible