Felicia's Journey by William Trevor

Felicia's Journey (original 1994; edition 1999)

by William Trevor

Member:EnriqueFreeque
Title:Felicia's Journey
Authors:William Trevor
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (1999), Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:20th century fiction, disturbing, fiction, irish lit, filmed, novel, psychological fiction, thriller, books

Felicia's Journey by William Trevor (1994)

English (13)  Dutch (2)  Croatian (1)  German (1)  All languages (17)
This is the story of Felicia, a young girl from Ireland who gets swept off her feet by a young local lad whilst he's back home from England for a short visit. Falling pregnant, she heads across to Birmingham to try to find him, but all does not go according to plan, and a sinister plot begins to unfold as she meets someone who is not all he seems.

I thought this book was great - as Trevor teases us with titbits about what might be coming down the line, it becomes a real page-turner, and was definitely one of those books were there was no way I was going to bed until I finished it.

The writing was an older type of prose in style, which I really enjoyed but felt it made the modern setting seem slightly less believable. There was one part where he mentions Felicia bought something for fourpence, which seems totally erroneous as that coin was phased out in 1971, yet in another part of the book he mentions dates which lead you to believe the book is set sometime in the early 1990s. If no dates had been mentioned, I could easily have thought this book was set in the 1950s.

That aside, it was a great read, and I will definitely read some more from [[William Trevor]] in the future. The ending was perhaps a little bit of a let down, so dropping a star for that, but still a book I would recommend nonetheless.

4 stars. ( )
1 vote AlisonY | Apr 9, 2015 |
Slow moving mystery. ( )
  Bookish59 | Sep 29, 2012 |
I will always read anything by William Trevor. He writes such beautiful prose in the form of a quiet novel. ( )
  wbwilburn5 | Jun 9, 2012 |
I have several of William Trevor’s novels and short story collections on my shelves, but this was the first work of his I’ve read. What a dark and creepy introduction! Felicia is a naïve Irish teenager, left pregnant by a local boy and abandoned upon his return to England where he supposedly works in a factory. She travels there in search of him but meets up with the helpful Mr. Hilditch instead.

The novel started off rather slowly for me but as the tension mounted and the atmosphere of foreboding and menace increased, I found myself more and more involved in the story. Trevor’s great gift here is to present the reader with “warts and all” portraits of his characters but to stir a sense of empathy for them, as well. The snatches of memory and dreams he describes give the novel a disjointed, uneasy feeling that only adds to the dark atmosphere. It’s all very bleak but also very well-written. I am glad I have more of Trevor’s work to explore. ( )
4 vote katiekrug | Dec 31, 2011 |
Somewhat predictable. I didn't like this nearly as much as Lucy Gault. ( )
  ghefferon | May 29, 2011 |

William Trevorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jane
She keeps being sick.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140253602, Paperback)

Felicia's Journey is a simple tale told with a subtle complexity. Felicia is an Irish country girl who has come to England to look for her jilted lover. Hilditch is a mild-mannered, gentle psychopath who lures the helpless Felicia into his trap. Interestingly, we see the story from each character's eyes when they are separate, but from Hilditch's view when they are together. It is an unusual and effective device that distorts the perspective and adds texture to a classic story. Trevor won a Whitbread Prize in 1994 for Felicia's Journey.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:33 -0400)

"Felicia is unmarried, pregnant, and penniless. She steals away from a small Irish town and drifts through the industrial English Midlands, searching for the boyfriend who left her. Instead she meets up with the fat, fiftyish, unfailingly reasonable Mr. Hilditch, who is looking for a new friend to join the five other girls in his Memory Lane. But the strange, sad, terrifying tricks of chance unravel both his and Felicia's delusions in a story that will magnetize fans of Alfred Hitchcock and Ruth Rendell even as it resonates with William Trevor's own 'impeccable strength and piercing profundity' (The Washington Post Book World)"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,950,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible