Felicia's Journey by William Trevor

Felicia's Journey (original 1994; edition 1999)

by William Trevor

Member:EnriqueFreeque
Title:Felicia's Journey
Authors:William Trevor
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (1999), Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Your library (inactive)
Tags:20th century fiction, disturbing, fiction, irish lit, filmed, novel, psychological fiction, thriller, books

Felicia's Journey by William Trevor (1994)

English (12)  Dutch (2)  Croatian (1)  German (1)  All languages (16)
Slow moving mystery. ( )
  Bookish59 | Sep 29, 2012 |
I will always read anything by William Trevor. He writes such beautiful prose in the form of a quiet novel. ( )
  wbwilburn5 | Jun 9, 2012 |
I have several of William Trevor’s novels and short story collections on my shelves, but this was the first work of his I’ve read. What a dark and creepy introduction! Felicia is a naïve Irish teenager, left pregnant by a local boy and abandoned upon his return to England where he supposedly works in a factory. She travels there in search of him but meets up with the helpful Mr. Hilditch instead.

The novel started off rather slowly for me but as the tension mounted and the atmosphere of foreboding and menace increased, I found myself more and more involved in the story. Trevor’s great gift here is to present the reader with “warts and all” portraits of his characters but to stir a sense of empathy for them, as well. The snatches of memory and dreams he describes give the novel a disjointed, uneasy feeling that only adds to the dark atmosphere. It’s all very bleak but also very well-written. I am glad I have more of Trevor’s work to explore. ( )
4 vote katiekrug | Dec 31, 2011 |
Somewhat predictable. I didn't like this nearly as much as Lucy Gault. ( )
  ghefferon | May 29, 2011 |
This book is a good study of two characters, Felicia and a disturbed man who befriends her. It's well written but it made me feel uncomfortable to read about how Felicia was manipulated by a number of people. Disturbing. ( )
  oldblack | Apr 8, 2011 |

William Trevorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jane
She keeps being sick.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140253602, Paperback)

Felicia's Journey is a simple tale told with a subtle complexity. Felicia is an Irish country girl who has come to England to look for her jilted lover. Hilditch is a mild-mannered, gentle psychopath who lures the helpless Felicia into his trap. Interestingly, we see the story from each character's eyes when they are separate, but from Hilditch's view when they are together. It is an unusual and effective device that distorts the perspective and adds texture to a classic story. Trevor won a Whitbread Prize in 1994 for Felicia's Journey.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:33 -0400)

"Felicia is unmarried, pregnant, and penniless. She steals away from a small Irish town and drifts through the industrial English Midlands, searching for the boyfriend who left her. Instead she meets up with the fat, fiftyish, unfailingly reasonable Mr. Hilditch, who is looking for a new friend to join the five other girls in his Memory Lane. But the strange, sad, terrifying tricks of chance unravel both his and Felicia's delusions in a story that will magnetize fans of Alfred Hitchcock and Ruth Rendell even as it resonates with William Trevor's own 'impeccable strength and piercing profundity' (The Washington Post Book World)"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,692,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible