Why Your World Is About to Get a Whole Lot…

Why Your World Is About to Get a Whole Lot Smaller: Oil and the End of… (2009)

by Jeff Rubin

Based on a barrel of oil costing over $100.00 , Rubin details how much our lifestyle is connected to oil. Rich western countries were built on cheap oil. Dramatic changes will ensue and rapidly if oil stays in triple digit cost. Economists are known to pessimistic and their projections often wrong. I am hoping this book is off the mark. Unfortunately, I am not sure that he is off base. Highly readable and understandable to non economists. ( )
  rsummer | Nov 24, 2012 |
This is one of the most insightful and level-headed books to emerge from authors who have recognized that the age of cheap fuel is over. Rubin sees a shift to a more local way of life due to the decline of cheap fuel, which also means a decline in global trading of heavy goods. He presciently envisions a range of changes, some difficult, some disruptive, but some that provide interesting opportunities too. ( )
  bkinetic | Oct 15, 2010 |
"This is one of the best books I have read that analyzes our current economical woes and predicts what the future will look like when the oil supply dwindles and prices go sky-high (and both will happen for sure, as you will read in the book). And yet the future may look a lot like the past and we will likely regain some of the aspects of the past that we have lost - with smaller village-type communities rather than barren suburbs, more rail and public transit, local foods in our stores (hurray!), and jobs returning to North America. Very enlightening and highly recommended!" THE RBC ANNALIST SAID (WHEN I MENTIONED THE BOOK ) "REMEMBER JEFF'S FIRST PRIORY IS TO SELL BOOKS!" INTERESTING AN EASY READ - PLB
  plb1934 | Feb 16, 2010 |
Very easy read, but gets a little off topic. A good overview of the subject, but not entirely persuasive.
  Nschip | Aug 19, 2009 |
This is one of the best books I have read that analyzes our current economical woes and predicts what the future will look like when the oil supply dwindles and prices go sky-high (and both will happen for sure, as you will read in the book). And yet the future may look a lot like the past and we will likely regain some of the aspects of the past that we have lost - with smaller village-type communities rather than barren suburbs, more rail and public transit, local foods in our stores (hurray!), and jobs returning to North America. Very enlightening and highly recommended! ( )
  Scrabblenut | Aug 11, 2009 |
No doubt Rubin will draw flak from the more extreme end of the Peak Oil movement for his Panglossian optimism, the economist’s perpetual failing.

For the rest of us, his book is a thought-provoking introduction to a future that, sooner or later, the world is inevitably going to enter.
added by Shortride | editFinancial Times, Ed Crooks (Jun 6, 2009)

To Deborah, Jack and Margot
Being an economist can ruin your appetite.

Looks at the effect that rising oil prices and the diminishing availability of petroleum will have on the global economy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,629,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible