The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes…

The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (edition 2009)

by John Joseph Adams

Member:trueneutral
Title:The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Authors:John Joseph Adams
Info:Night Shade Books (2009), Edition: 1ST, Paperback, 350 pages
Collections:Read in 2012 (inactive), Your library
Rating:***1/2

The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by John Joseph Adams (Editor)

some were very entertaining, some were a bit of a trial. The preponderance of fic with Cthulhu references cracked me up, but those were also some of the best in the volume. I was a little surprised that only Naomi Novik got Holmes laid -- and it was so gently and appropriately done, too. *fond*

It's interesting that proportionately more of the ten stories by female authors stood out to me (in a good way) than those of the eighteen men. Interesting thing to look at for someone doing focused gender studies on women in scifi/fantasy. I wonder if I'm trained to respond better to women writers or if those stories were objectively better? Yeah, that's essentially a moot point, I know, but as few women as there are in the genre, it's nice to see the representation. (rant about the relative lack of female characters in the stories written by men redacted because it is a tired old argument and it just makes me sad.)

This book took an unconscionably long time for me to finish. It was bedtime reading and actively put me to sleep when nothing else would -- except when the stories really hooked me. I don't really know what's up with that. Usually I'm a lot faster at finishing things. ( )
  sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |
The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by John Joseph Adams edited by John Joseph Adams is a collection of short stories featuring Sherlock Holmes written by contemporary authors such as Neil Gaiman, Laurie R. King, Michael Moorcock. Roughly half of the stories assume a supernatural solution to the mystery, whilst the others find a mundane solution.

These stories were written anywhere from 20 years ago until the year the collection was published. The collection starts off with a story that brought to mind the 1999 movie, Mimic. Laurie King's story, meanwhile, fills in some gaps in her debut Sherlock Holmes book, The Beekeeper's Apprentice. Another story asks the question — what if Moriarty and Sherlock's roles were reversed?

For the audio book, two narrators were brought on board: Simon Vance for the stories where most of the characters are male, and Anne Flosnik for the ones where the main character was female (Mary Russell, for instance). I wish they had just let Vance do all the stories.

By the time the first of Flosnik's pieces comes around, I had grown accustomed to Vance's style and cadence. Flosnik, for reasons unknown to me, tries to give her women regional accents. None of them work, though, and all of her characters end up sounding like Zecora from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. With the exception of Laurie King's story, I ended up skipping most of Flosnik's narrated stories because her performance was got in the way. ( )
  pussreboots | Apr 20, 2013 |
This collection contains a bit of everything but all of it Sherlock Holmes. I've read a few of the stories already but most were new to me. I was unhappy with a few that changed Holmes a bit too dramatically, especially Naomi Novik's interpretation, but on the whole they did a great job.

A must read for any Sherlock fan ( )
  Shirezu | Mar 31, 2013 |
Big collection of unlikely (quite a few of them make use of the supernatural) Sherlock Holmes stories written by known and unknown authors. You can find a few gems in there, but most stories are nothing to write home about and a few of them are quite bad, written by authors that clearly have no idea what Holmes is about. I've read this book over more than half a year and I sadly don't remember much about the stories in the first half of the book... a sign of how unremarkable they were.

I really liked Merridew of Abominable Memory by Chris Roberson, Commonplaces by Naomi Novik was a very nice sidestory involving Irene Adler and The Adventure of the Pirates of Devil's Cape by Rob Rogers was fun. Neil Gaiman's A study in Emerald was ok, but I expected more from him.

Still, I doubt I'm ever going to read any other Sherlock stories not written by Doyle. ( )
  trueneutral | Dec 14, 2012 |
Despite my enthusiasm for the original stories, I've discovered I don't have much patience for pastiche. A lot of these are by fans who want to explore aspects of the characters or the formula about which they're most enthusiastic, and one man's enthusiasm is another's boredom. I prefer my own blanks-filling speculations to just about anybody else's. The best pastiches simply tell a tale according to Doyle's formula, preferably during a time when Holmes and Watson live together. And I find the genre-hopping in this anthology irritating. Holmes belongs in Victorian London solving crimes. Putting him in space, the spirit world, or an alternate reality just isn't cool. If you want to do that, create new characters that emulate Holmes and Watson, as is done with Doctor Who and House (on TV), among many others. ( )
  scootm | Jun 15, 2011 |

Schweitzer, DarrellContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sinor, Bradley H.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tremayne, PeterContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Valentine, MarkContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Features short stories about Sherlock Holmes and Watson solving mysteries where a particular piece has been changed, which alters the course of the story and conclusion.

129 wanted2 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,342,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible