Dragon Keeper by Carole Wilkinson

Dragon Keeper

by Carole Wilkinson

Recently added byBettyAC, Boona, private library, Zaffiro, siquebella, sncase1, blog_gal

English (18)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (22)
I had read this book back in grade school, and felt that it was an amazing book. ( )
  Shikalazynara | Jun 16, 2013 |
Review to come soon! ( )
  potterwholockian | Apr 2, 2013 |
Dragon Keeper by Carole Wilkinson is a fantasy novel telling a mythological story of a slave girl who saves an elderly dragon. They embark on a journey across China to escape the clutches of her barbaric master.

It is a risky journey, they are protecting a very precious stone, so precious that they are gambling their lives with it.

M.W
Dragon Keeper by Carole Wilkinson is a great novel. It has a sense of mystery and adventure as it tells a story of a slave girl who saves a dragon. They are protecting a precious stone and the development of the story makes you never want to put the book down. Set in China, it gives you a taste of the culture and life in China.
I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a little adventure. ( )
  TLHelen | Nov 1, 2012 |
Reading Dragon Keeper, I was automatically caught up in the spirit of the time period it is set in. But it wasn’t just the Chinese culture that struck me as true and genuine, it was also the Dragon culture, which was well thought out and wonderfully blended into the story. While reading I realized just how connected the Chinese culture was with the Dragons. It is almost a case of the chicken and the egg; did the use of gongs and chimes attract dragons to the humans or did the humans seek a way to replicate what they heard come from these majestic creatures? Who knew of qi first? Who first knew of herbs and healing? None of these things are brought up so obviously in the book, but as someone who thinks highly of the idea of the dragons having shared knowledge with humans and having lived among peoples of the past and taught them, these things easily crossed my mind as I was reading.

The story is well thought out from its humble beginning to the ending that isn’t as much of an ending as it is a continuation of life. Our lives aren’t split up into chapters and our memorable moments in time don’t necessarily have sharp, clean endings. A person may lose their job but the story doesn’t stop there. Will they find another one? Will they find themselves in the same line of work as before or has that person learned a lesson that has pointed them on a different path? What will the new job bring? So many books simply end instead of allowing the mind to continue with these questions and I found the end of Dragon Keeper both fitting to the culture of the Dragons and refreshing in it’s final non-resolution. “Who knows how things will end? Perhaps there is no end.”

Dragon Keeper is not only a well planned story, but it is well told. The plot will keep your attention, but it is the attention to details that makes you thirst for even more. I admit to knowing little of Chinese history, but the book seemed well settled in its time period and I found nothing to jostle my mind from the story in that regard. Chinese words and concepts are easily sewn into the story, teaching readers the powers of qi, the mathematics of counting, the geography of an area and its distances or types of money, all without jarring you away from the tale being told. It all comes naturally, even without the dictionary and pronunciation guides at the back, because as Danzai teaches Ping about life beyond slavery, you realize that you heave learned as well.

In fact, the entire story is not just Ping’s journey to learn about herself and her country, it is the story of the reader’s journey as well. While holding the book, you travel the countryside with a girl and a Dragon, share their joys and sorrows, participate in their adventures and reach the ocean with them as they begin new parts of their lives.

If you are a fan of the Neverending Story or DragonHeart, you will probably find yourself as desperate for the rest of the series as I have become. I would also highly recommend this book to anyone who has pet rats, as I found great joy in reading about Ping’s rat, the most honorable Hua. ( )
  mirrani | May 16, 2011 |
Well written story of a girl discovering the world and her abilities. It is sprinkled with Taoist quotes, beautiful descriptions and many references to things Chinese (measurements, money, plants, geography, architecture). The story feels well placed in its time. ( )
  devilish2 | Feb 21, 2011 |

Has as a reference guide/companion

For John
Who first introduced me to dragons

And Lili
My resident editor and sounding board
A bamboo bowl flew through the air, aimed at the slave girl's head.

In the far western mountains of the Han Empire in ancient China, an aging dragon and a young slave girl are both used and neglected by the cruel Master Lan. Nameless and alone, the slave girl, is without hope, her only friend is her pet rat, Hua. After one of the Imperial Dragons suddenly dies the slave girl finds herself coming to the aid of the last dragon. The two escape,but when the emperor finds out that one of his dragons is dead, Master Lan blames it on her and she finds herself chased by the imperial guards who believe she is an evil sorceress, a necromancer and a dragon hunter who is determined to kill the dragon and take the dragon's stone. And the dragon, Long Danzi tells the slave girl her true name: Ping (meaning duckweed). Ping discovers her destiny as Dragon Keeper.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786855819, Hardcover)

Dragons fascinate children of all ages, and Carole Wilkinson’s inspired mix of myth and historical fact will leave young readers wistfully listening for wing beats. In the year 141 B.C., Ping is an illiterate Chinese orphan who lives on the edge of one of the Emperor’s least-used royal palaces. Her master is a boorish drunk who neglects his duties as Imperial Dragon Keeper. Under his watch, the Emperor’s dragons have dwindled from a magnificent dozen to a miserable two. When the next to last dies, the remaining dragon, Long Danzi, coaxes Ping into helping him flee to the faraway ocean. Early on in the journey, Ping knows the dragon and the mysterious purple stone he carries are very special. But how is it that a grubby slave girl has come to be the keeper of the last imperial dragon? Only when the friends reach their destination will Ping be able to see herself as Danzi sees her, and learn to use the unique talents she alone possesses.

Dragon Keeper is a humorous, wise quest tale with strong, identifiable characterizations. Ping grows from a frightened slave girl with no name into a strong, self-sufficient young woman who knows her purpose, and witty, warm Danzi will have every reader wishing for a scaly companion of his or her very own. Young dragon keepers in training will want to follow up this novel with the equally excellent The Hunting of the Last Dragon by Sherryl Jordan and The Kite Rider by Geraldine McCaughrean. (Ages 9-14) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:06 -0400)

An orphan slave girl becomes a Dragon Keeper when she heroically comes to the aid of an aging dragon and both go on a dangerous journey across China to protect a mysterious stone vital to the dragon's legacy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible