Hungry Planet: What the World Eats by Peter…

Hungry Planet: What the World Eats

by Peter Menzel, Faith D'Aluisio (Author), Faith D'Aluisio (Author)

Other authors: Marion Nestle (Foreword)

810None11,190 (4.46)23

How much does your family eat in one week? This book talks about the different diets and eating habits of families in 21 countries around the world, photographing each family in their kitchen or eating area with a weeks' worth of food. The food is listed, along with the price in US$ and local currency for each major category (grains, meat, dairy, fruit and veggies, condiments, prepared, etc). There are a number of graphics comparing obesity, caloric intake, population, and many other statistics related to food and sustenance. It's fascinating to read about each country and compare your own eating habits to theirs. There's a tiny hint of an agenda, but the issue of food availability is addressed not only in the US, but also in other developed countries. ( )
  JessieP73 | Apr 6, 2013 |
Although I didn't get to finish this book, I gave it four stars for concept. The parts I was able to read and the pictures I looked at were informative and fascinating. The physical format of the book was a problem for me. It is so large and heavy that I would have had to sit at a desk or table to read it; and the glossy paper made necessary by the color photo reproduction made it hard to read. Also, some of the most interesting information was in rather small print in a shaded box, thus even harder to read. I can't even visualize how one would read this on an e-reader; a website seems like the best option. I would recommend it if you have good eyes and strong arms. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
I'm reading this and Z's flipping through it. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 31, 2013 |
What the World Eats is a read-aloud informational book that follows more than twenty families from around the world and their weekly eating habits. A compilation of photographs, grocery lists, health statistics and societal and cultural characteristics make this text informative and engaging. The author compares and contrasts families from different cultures to accurately depict how differently people from around the world buy, cook, consume and ration their food. I found this book to be a wonderful non-fiction resource for cultural awareness. ( )
  elizabethhart | Nov 12, 2012 |
This informational text provides a wealth of information along with photographs about various countries and their eating habits. Students can see the shocking similarities and vast differences between the cultures of the world.

For instance, students might be quite surprised by how recognizable the McDonald's symbol is across the globe. In fact, you learn from this book that it can be found in many nations, even the Philippines.

Whereas in Beijing, China, you have easy access to street foods like sea horse and cicadas. I think students will be very interested to learn about foods across the world because eating is a universal event. They will get to learn about eating traditions that may stun and intrigue, but are completely common place for another culture. I enjoyed the real photographs of people and their families, as well as the pictures taken in the various countries.
  annabelle5585 | Nov 9, 2012 |

Peter Menzelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
D'Aluisio, FaithAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
D'Aluisio, FaithAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Nestle, MarionForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"A photographic collection exploring what the world eats featuring portraits of thirty families from twenty-four countries surrounded by a week's worth of food"--Provided by publisher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,484,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible