In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah…

In the Company of the Courtesan (2006)

by Sarah Dunant

English (83)  Dutch (1)  All languages (84)
What an adventure! I loved this story. It could have been a truly great book, but Dunant got lazy... ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
An enticing story of how a highclass courtesan functioned in the corrupt society of medieval Venice. ( )
  oOArankaOo | Apr 2, 2018 |
I really want to like this. The author writes beautifully, and really knows her history, which I greatly appreciate. I've enjoyed her other books. But this just doesn't do it for me. I don't know if it's the perspective of Venice the author portrays, or the lack of forward movement of the plot. Either way, this is my second, and most likely last try on this one. I've got too many other (hopefully more exciting) books I'm chomping at the bit to get to. Life is too short to spend it reading something I don't love!
  catzkc | Mar 23, 2018 |
The author has painted a fascinating portrait of Venice in the troubled sixteenth century. I found the book to be entertaining and the characters very realistic. However I would have preferred it to have been less wordy without so much repetition. Overall...an interesting account of a very talented courtesan and her devoted dwarf. ( )
  Carol420 | Feb 20, 2018 |
DNF pg. 37

I've read one of her books before and didn't like it but I already had this. I tried, didn't like this and I'm moving on... ( )
  Elysianfield | Nov 16, 2016 |

Sarah Dunantprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hoye, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Philpott, DanielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My lady, Fiammetta Bianchini, was plucking her eyebrows and biting color into her lips when the unthinkable happened and the Holy Roman Emperor's army blew a hole in the wall of God's eternal city, letting in a flood of half-starved, half-crazed troops bent on pillage and punishment.

My lady, Fiammetta Bianchini, was plucking her eyebrows and biting color into her lips when the unthinkable happened and the Holy Roman Emperor’s army blew a hole in the wall of God’s eternal city, letting in a flood of half-starved, half-crazed troops bent on pillage and punishment.

Thus begins In the Company of the Courtesan, Sarah Dunant’s epic novel of life in Renaissance Italy. Escaping the sack of Rome in 1527, with their stomachs churning on the jewels they have swallowed, the courtesan Fiammetta and her dwarf companion, Bucino, head for Venice, the shimmering city born out of water to become a miracle of east-west trade: rich and rancid, pious and profitable, beautiful and squalid.

With a mix of courage and cunning they infiltrate Venetian society. Together they make the perfect partnership: the sharp-tongued, sharp-witted dwarf, and his vibrant mistress, trained from birth to charm, entertain, and satisfy men who have the money to support her.

Yet as their fortunes rise, this perfect partnership comes under threat, from the searing passion of a lover who wants more than his allotted nights to the attentions of an admiring Turk in search of human novelties for his sultan’s court. But Fiammetta and Bucino’s greatest challenge comes from a young crippled woman, a blind healer who insinuates herself into their lives and hearts with devastating consequences for them all.

A story of desire and deception, sin and religion, loyalty and friendship, In the Company of the Courtesan paints a portrait of one of the world’s greatest cities at its most potent moment in history: It is a picture that remains vivid long after the final page.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:20 -0400)

Renaissance Italy, 1527,during the sacking of Rome. Cortesan Fiammetta and her dwarf companion Bucino, with their stomachs full of the jewels they have swallowed, head for Venice. There they infiltrate Venetian society and together the make a perfect partnership - the sharp tongued, sharp witted dwarf and his mistress trained from birth to entertain and satisfy men with money. As their fortunes increase their partnership comes under threat from the attentions of an admirer and from a blind healer who insinuates herself into their lives with devastating consequences for them all.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,657,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible