dismiss

In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah…

In the Company of the Courtesan (2006)

by Sarah Dunant

Escaping the sack of Rome in 1527, with their stomachs churning on the jewels they have swallowed, the courtesan Fiammetta and her dwarf companion, Bucino, head for Venice. Yet as their fortunes rise, this perfect partnership comes under threat, from the searing passion of a lover who wants more than his allotted nights to the attentions of an admiring Turk in search of human novelties for his sultan's court. But Fiammetta and Bucino's greatest challenge comes from a young crippled woman, a blind healer who insinuates herself into their lives and hearts with devastating consequences for them all.… (more)

English (82)  Dutch (1)  All languages (83)
This is my idea of guilty pleasure reading. Not necessarily a 'you are there' level of historical accuracy, but entertaining and engrossing. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
What an adventure! I loved this story. It could have been a truly great book, but Dunant got lazy... ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
I really want to like this. The author writes beautifully, and really knows her history, which I greatly appreciate. I've enjoyed her other books. But this just doesn't do it for me. I don't know if it's the perspective of Venice the author portrays, or the lack of forward movement of the plot. Either way, this is my second, and most likely last try on this one. I've got too many other (hopefully more exciting) books I'm chomping at the bit to get to. Life is too short to spend it reading something I don't love!
  catzkc | Mar 23, 2018 |
The author has painted a fascinating portrait of Venice in the troubled sixteenth century. I found the book to be entertaining and the characters very realistic. However I would have preferred it to have been less wordy without so much repetition. Overall...an interesting account of a very talented courtesan and her devoted dwarf. ( )
  Carol420 | Feb 20, 2018 |
DNF pg. 37

I've read one of her books before and didn't like it but I already had this. I tried, didn't like this and I'm moving on... ( )
  Elysianfield | Nov 16, 2016 |

Sarah Dunantprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hoye, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Philpott, DanielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My lady, Fiammetta Bianchini, was plucking her eyebrows and biting color into her lips when the unthinkable happened and the Holy Roman Emperor's army blew a hole in the wall of God's eternal city, letting in a flood of half-starved, half-crazed troops bent on pillage and punishment.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,366,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible