Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Score One for the Sloths by Helen Lester

Score One for the Sloths

by Helen Lester

Other authors: Lynn Munsinger (Illustrator)

Sloths, despite their names, are not lazy. Like some of my other favorite critters, their evolutionary commitment to a low-value food source means that they spend a lot of time eating for very little caloric reward (see also koalas and giant pandas). This to say I get the joke of the book, but I'm not in favor of using stereotypes of species to beat kids over the head with a moral lesson, even when the species in question comes out alright at the end. That's lazy storytelling.

I'll stick with[b:A Little Book of Sloth|13260645|A Little Book of Sloth|Lucy Cooke|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1376784442s/13260645.jpg|18462151], thanks.

Library copy ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
Loved the beginning, the world-building. Perfect vocabulary & phonemes, and syntax, and illustrations, to make the reader feel ready to join the sloths. But the plot just didn't belong - it was jarring, and I felt betrayed. I don't think that a Boar should oversee a school for Sloths, or hold it to the same standards as other Mammal Schools. They are, after all, sloths, doing what they do best! Still, if you can find this book in your library, check it out just for the page that introduces the Boar (the *Wild* Boar) and decide for yourself. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
this book can teach our students that they may want to be lazy and sleep all day but it is important for us to learn because without learning their wouldn't be needs for schools and we wouldn't learn knew things without it.
  bmm034 | Apr 30, 2015 |
This is a cute story about how being different is a good thing and your particular skills can always be found for good. This is cute for motivating students to learn, and try to use their skills in order for good. ( )
  RaineyNicole | Apr 29, 2015 |
This book is a great book to motivate students to want to learn. It also teaches that it is good to be different.
  mmg020 | Apr 27, 2015 |

Lester, Helenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Munsinger, LynnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

This book is good to try and get the students to do something.

Sparky, a new energetic student at a sloth school, saves her lazy classmates when a wild boar from a government agency tries to shut the school down.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,352 books! | Top bar: Always visible