Nothing to Declare: Memoirs of a Woman…

Nothing to Declare: Memoirs of a Woman Traveling Alone (1988)

by Mary Morris

A great travel book about one woman's travels through Latin America. She shows you the raw real side of living and traveling in Latin America. No fluffed up sugar coated stuff here. At times through out the book I was thinking to myself I can't believe she just did that she must have a death wish, she is crazy. And other times in the book I could really relate to some of her situations and it touched me way deep down inside. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes to travel. ( )
  PaDutchTravel | Aug 30, 2014 |
i have discovered that that i don't really like travel memoirs but i enjoyed this. i read it in nyc. she has a real urge to travel and go to difficult places. i have no desire to do this. ( )
  mahallett | Nov 25, 2013 |
I found this book totally absorbing. Mary Morris must be a very courageous person to have undertaken this journey - for most of us her experiences sound nightmare-ish. While she comes through as fairly self-absorbed she also sounds a very humane person when confronted by real need in others. The book provides a fascinating insight into the lives of ordinary people in Mexico and South America. ( )
  janglen | Jan 4, 2012 |
This is reviewed as " the union of a travel book and journey into the self". I guess it's true. It was okay. Honestly it didn't show me any unusual insights into the human condition or anything extra special about this woman. Maybe I'm just jaded. There were no good sex parts. There was no extremely interesting people in this book. Nothing memorable really. She did describe her living conditions and the differing atmospheres well. Still the title says it all. ( )
  tlingit | Dec 29, 2011 |
A very personal experience of life in a foreign culture, and the urge to travel. Morris is a brave, obsessed and sometimes foolish traveler, searching for herself as much as new experience, and she shares it with us. On the way she also shares Mexican history, geography and culture seen as much from the inside as an outsider can get to ( )
1 vote ffortsa | Dec 22, 2009 |
To Guadalupe Martinez Medina and the children of San Antonio

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312199414, Paperback)

Great travel writing has always been about the person making the trip as well as the things he or she encounters, and Mary Morris's category-defying 1988 memoir was an instant classic as much for its candid revelation of the author's turbulent emotions as for its sensitive, unglamorous portrait of a Latin America most tourists never see. Living in a poor neighborhood of the small Mexican town San Miguel de Allende, Morris befriends a neighbor, Lupe, who is struggling to support her many children (fathered by three different men) and to cope with her current, openly unfaithful partner. Scenes of life in San Miguel alternate with Morris's voyages around Central America, from the historic ruins of Teotihuac√°n to the contemporary turmoil of Nicaragua under the Sandinistas. Memories of her past crowd in: her parents' tense marriage, which sparked the restlessness that keeps their daughter on the road; her difficult relationships with often cruel men; the desolation of the years prior to her departure for San Miguel. Neither her affection for Lupe nor her love affair with a Mexico City man can prevent Morris's eventual return to the U.S., but her eloquent, elegant prose makes it clear that the grim, grand landscape and its tenacious inhabitants have left an indelible imprint on her soul. --Wendy Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:03 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,195,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible