Other People's Dirt: A Housecleaner's…

Other People's Dirt: A Housecleaner's Curious Adventures

by Louise Rafkin

Awful. I thought this would be fun read about a housekeeper's funny anecdotes but it was more akin with rubbing sandpaper on your face. Painfully dry.
  tealightful | Sep 24, 2013 |
Louise Rafkin is well educated yet decided to work as a house cleaner for a number of years. The book is snarky and sarcastic and informative, but I had just a few problems with it. She refuses to pick up other people's underwear, or uses a utensil to do so. Used tissues or condoms I can understand, but underwear? But she balances that with what she has to say about those who can afford to pay others to do their scut work and those who do that work. ( )
  Citizenjoyce | Dec 7, 2011 |
I needed that. Many good ideas for better housing keeping,somethng everyone needs. Am I practicing these. I take the 5th ( )
  carterchristian1 | Aug 30, 2010 |
Rafkin does more than simply relate the dirt she learns about others in her job as their housekeeper. This book is actually an interesting series of essays that center around cleaning in its various forms. Recommended. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |
Well, they're not all that curious, and they're not all Rafkin's adventures. Either she simply didn't have enough to fill a book, or she felt the need to be "serious". So interspersed with anecdotes of her cleaning jobs, we are treated to interviews with "dirty" house cleaners, her family's former maid, and members of "Messies Anonymous". Not to mention an extraordinarily self-involved letter to the surviving lover of an old friend, a letter that read as though it were written with an eye to publication.

Rafkin likes to clean, but she doesn't have to, and so one gets the impression, even though it may be unfair, of a dilettante. Too, although she mentions long-term clients, there's a sense that she flits from place to place. There are amusing anecdotes here, but in the end it's not a very satisfying read.
2 vote lilithcat | Feb 4, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452280818, Paperback)

Housecleaner extraordinaire Louise Rafkin reads her own work as efficiently as she cleans bathtubs and snoops through the letter pile. Rafkin's voice is pleasantly modulated and well suited to her dry humor in Other People's Dirt, a parallel tale of her cleaning habits and socio-spiritual explorations. Vacuum-cleaner sound effects demarcate chapters in this nearly unabridged version, whose brief chapters are punchy and well suited to audio. (Running time: three hours, two cassettes) --Barrie Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:16 -0400)

Louise Rafkin takes us on an intimate tour of people's lives and reveals just how much she knows about a person based on what she finds in the house. She knows who's on a diet (Weight Watchers in the freezer), who's having marital problems (sheets on the sofa), and who' having sex (items on the nightstand). In Other People's Dirt, Rafkin dispenses her own kind of household hints with an altogether original point of view.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,629,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible