dismiss

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Twilight (2005)

by Stephenie Meyer

Series: Twilight Saga (1)

49,441212216 (3.77)2 / 784
When seventeen-year-old Bella leaves Phoenix to live with her father in Forks, Washington, she meets an exquisitely handsome boy at school for whom she feels an overwhelming attraction and who she comes to realize is not wholly human.
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (xcentaur)
    xcentaur: Now that you've had the starters, lets move on to better vampire lit ...
    The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause (Caramellunacy, allisongryski, jfoster_sf, rose_81, Konran)
    Caramellunacy: The Silver Kiss is a vampire romance that deals with being different and misunderstood, loneliness, grief and death - including a spree of murders. There's a definite poignancy to the relationship between Zoe and Simon that makes this well worth reading for fans of vampire lit.… (more)
    jfoster_sf: A classic vampire novel that also deals with love, loss, death, etc.
    Sunshine by Robin McKinley (infiniteletters, allisongryski, goodiegoodie, Konran)
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (_Zoe_, MyriadBooks)
    The Awakening by L. J. Smith (nicoleryan)
    nicoleryan: The Vampire Diaries has more to do with just vampires. Theres witches, wolves, and even underground demons....
    Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (Laelatb, samkablam7, SunnySD)
    The Awakening / The Struggle by L. J. Smith (_Zoe_)
    Shattered Mirror by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (VictoriaPL)
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (tyuiop159, zippa101, Cpassmore)
    tyuiop159: They both have the same Romeo and Juliet structure.
    zippa101: It really filled that gap that twilight made.
    Vampire Academy Box Set 1-6 by Richelle Mead (Aleana)
    Betrayed by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Demon in My View by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (FFortuna)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (jennyellen22)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Matia414, ldelprete)
    ldelprete: this is a story in which you can really get attached to the characters. If you like to root for the underdog in stories, like jacob in twilight, then you will enjoy this series where the entire country is an underdog.
    Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (stephxsu)
    A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (HollyMS)
    Need by Carrie Jones (knfwalker, FFortuna, deadbookdarling)
    deadbookdarling: YA novel with the same feel as Twilight, only possibly better!
    A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb (jbarry)
    Team Human by Sarah Rees Brennan (TomWaitsTables)

English (2,031)  Spanish (21)  German (10)  French (9)  Dutch (8)  Finnish (7)  Swedish (6)  Italian (5)  Lithuanian (4)  Norwegian (4)  Danish (4)  Portuguese (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Catalan (3)  Japanese (1)  Latvian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Chinese, simplified (1)  All languages (2,122)
Showing 1-5 of 2031 (next | show all)
Better than the first in that the copy editor did a better job, but still...it's Twilight. And there are STILL mistakes in the copy. ( )
  amandanan | Jun 6, 2020 |
Could not put this book down - it was incredibly addictive. Surprisingly so, considering that not much actually happens over the course of 500 pages. I'm probably going to have to read the rest of the series now and see the movie. ( )
  FooBoo732 | Jun 5, 2020 |
I hadn't read this since HS and was rereading to see if it deserved the hate or if it was just typical YA fluff. I won't say it earned the intense hatred it got, and I did enjoy it as a guilty pleasure sort of read. That said it is very not good. ( )
  Hilaurious | Jun 2, 2020 |
Honestly, I was afraid to read this. I bought this book after New Moon was released and have had it since and only now, in 2019, am I reading it. There were always really negative comments about the writing style, the flat characters, and the grammar in general. However, I found Bella a lot smarter in the books than in the movies. They also move a little slower in the books, which I liked. I understand speeding it up and cutting and gluing scenes to make it more movie presentable, but I think it lost a lot of substance when transferred to the big screen. I do not, however, think they acted like 17 to 19 year olds (Or however old you would consider Edward.) I think they definitely acted more like 14-15 just by there relationship dynamics and some of their thought processes and behaviors. Also I saw the series in a whole new light when I read Meyer's quote about girls being afraid to lose their virginity, so Edward is the perfect boyfriend. The entire vampire allure and behavior in the series made much more sense to me after that. I am wary of the next books as everyone says they go down hill from here, but am excited to make my own judgments. I do wish we got to read more of the side characters stories, like Carlisle's turn and his centuries alone. love it. Hopefully, if Meyer rights anymore Twilight novels it will be about developing her side characters stories. The little glimpses we had were so cool I'd love to read more. ( )
  JulianaMD | Jun 1, 2020 |
decent. Fun to read b/c i'm always thinking and this is purely FUN. the reading equivalent of a Lifetime movie. For the teen goth set. ( )
  gakgakg | May 28, 2020 |
Showing 1-5 of 2031 (next | show all)
"Meyer's prose seldom rises above the serviceable, and the plotting is leaden" [....] "It's like reading a young teenage girl's blog"
added by GYKM | editWashington Post, Elizabeth Hand (May 26, 2010)

Astonishing, mainly for the ineptitude of her prose. Teen vampire schlock that has the nation’s youth in thrall.
added by GYKM | editDaily Telegraph, Brian MacArthur (Nov 13, 2009)

[L]et me say to you as a meat-eating, Entourage-watching, sports-loving (OK, I really don't love sports, or actually understand sports) — heterosexual man who can't sit through a single show on Lifetime television, let me loudly proclaim: I, Brad Meltzer, love the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer.

I confess, I have joined the legions of the bitten and smitten.

The plot may sound rather comic and camp, but Meyer chooses to play it straight and serious. Vampires or not, what this novel is really about is a fatal attraction to someone or something dangerously different from yourself. The trajectory of the story is such that Bella's behavior and choices grow increasingly more disturbing, with irrevocable, self-destructive consequences.

Meyer, Stephenieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pallarés Sanmiguel, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pallarés, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sánchez Raya, María JesúsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Twilight ( [2008]IMDb)
But of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. -- Genesis 2:17
For my big sister, Emily,
without whose enthusiasm this story might still be unfinished.
I'd never given much thought to how I would die—though I'd had reason enough in the last few months—but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this.
Breathe Bella.
You're exactly my brand of heroin.
It's twilight. It's the safest time of the day for us. The easiest part. But also the saddest, in a way. The end of another day, the return of the night.
ISBN 0316015849 is not a video recording.

I'd never given much thought to how I would die—I'd had reason enough in the last few months—but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this.... Surely it was a good way to die, in the place of something else, someone I loved. Noble, even. That ought to count for something.

When Isabella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret.

What Bella doesn't realize is the closer she gets to him, the more she is putting herself and those around her at risk. And, it might be too late to turn back....

Deeply seductive and extraordinarily suspenseful, Twilight will have readers riveted right until the very last page is turned.

About three things I was absolutely positive.

First, Edward was a vampire.

Second, there was a part of him—and I didn't know how dominant that part might be—that thirsted for my blood.

And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.

In the first book of the Twilight Saga, internationally bestselling author Stephenie Meyer introduces Bella Swan and Edward Cullen, a pair of star-crossed lovers whose forbidden relationship ripens against the backdrop of small-town suspicion and a mysterious coven of vampires. This is a love story with bite.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,740,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible