Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1) by…

Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1) (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Stephenie Meyer

44,958203114 (3.83)2 / 715
Member:lkartje
Title:Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1)
Authors:Stephenie Meyer
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2008), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 544 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Romance, Young Adult, Vampires, Werewolves

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (2005)

Recently added byajodavis406, Aerolysa, Owdormer, TeacherofYA, Rachel929, meaghangray, yrthegood1staken, Martu_Cas, dcy, private library
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (xcentaur)
    xcentaur: Now that you've had the starters, lets move on to better vampire lit ...
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (_Zoe_, MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause (Caramellunacy, allisongryski, jfoster_sf, rose_81, Konran)
    Caramellunacy: The Silver Kiss is a vampire romance that deals with being different and misunderstood, loneliness, grief and death - including a spree of murders. There's a definite poignancy to the relationship between Zoe and Simon that makes this well worth reading for fans of vampire lit.… (more)
    jfoster_sf: A classic vampire novel that also deals with love, loss, death, etc.
    Sunshine by Robin McKinley (infiniteletters, allisongryski, goodiegoodie, Konran)
    The Awakening by L. J. Smith (nicoleryan)
    nicoleryan: The Vampire Diaries has more to do with just vampires. Theres witches, wolves, and even underground demons....
    Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    Awakening by L. J. Smith (_Zoe_)
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (Laelatb, samkablam7, SunnySD)
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (tyuiop159, zippa101, Cpassmore)
    tyuiop159: They both have the same Romeo and Juliet structure.
    zippa101: It really filled that gap that twilight made.
    Shattered Mirror by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (VictoriaPL)
    Demon in My View by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (FFortuna)
    Betrayed by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (jennyellen22)
    New Moan: The First Book in The Twishite Saga: A Parody by Stephfordy Mayo (Browzee)
    Browzee: Brilliant parody of the sillier aspects of Twilight, laugh out loud funny!
    Vampire Academy Box Set 1-6 by Richelle Mead (Aleana)
    A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (HollyMS)
    Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (stephxsu)
    Need by Carrie Jones (knfwalker, FFortuna, deadbookdarling)
    deadbookdarling: YA novel with the same feel as Twilight, only possibly better!
    Shadowland by Meg Cabot (fyrefly98, Jenson_AKA_DL)
    fyrefly98: A series of "teen girl falls in love with supernatural boy" books that don't involve the girl becoming a helpless pile of goo around the boy.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Matia414, ldelprete)
    ldelprete: this is a story in which you can really get attached to the characters. If you like to root for the underdog in stories, like jacob in twilight, then you will enjoy this series where the entire country is an underdog.

English (1,937)  Spanish (21)  German (11)  French (9)  Finnish (8)  Dutch (8)  Italian (5)  Swedish (5)  Danish (4)  Norwegian (4)  Lithuanian (4)  Portuguese (3)  Catalan (3)  All (3)  Latvian (1)  Japanese (1)  All (1)  All (1)  All (2,029)
Showing 1-5 of 1937 (next | show all)
The best of the whole series. It will make you wish you were a vampire. Cold blooded vampires are hot! ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
I won't go into detail but I have issues with some of the dialogue and plot points, and I thought the romance portion of the book was just plain silly, even for teenagers. Still, the book is an addictive page turner that kept me reading. Hard to explain. Sometimes a brain candy book is just what you need :-) I'll definitely continue with the series. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
I admit it, I had a Twilight phase. I've read the books about several times I used to be playfully teased by my stepdad asking if I've not memorised it yet. He always wrote them and the movies off as bad, and back then I thought he was just being a book snob. Now I stand corrected.

When I started reading it for the first time fall of 2008, I was in the sixth grade and Twilight mania was just starting, the first movie coming out in November of that year. Everyone in my school was reading it, including some boys, though more girls than guys. So naturally, I just had to see what the fuss was about. Back then, I was still living with my mother and went to Dad's on weekends, so on one weekend with him, I asked him to buy me a copy of Twilight, the first book. He did buy me the movie cover. I loved it instantly and set out to read New Moon. I'll save that story for another day.

It's not the sparkling vampires that bother me. I didn't mind that. And I thought it was creative how the vampires had traits that were there in their human lives but were enhanced when they were changed. For instance, Esme's capacity for love only grew when she was changed; Carlisle's compassion and mercy enhanced; Edward's musical talent; Rosalie's beauty and vanity; Alice's cheerfulness (I can only guess; she never remembered her human life); Emmett's humour and strength, etc. It's creative and an interesting concept. It would have worked better if the book was better written, the characters were well-developed, the dialogue had more than the "I'm not good for you, Bella" "But I want you, Edward" banter, and the narration didn't have Bella commenting on Edward's physical appearance every other sentence.

The writing was not bad , but it certain wasn't great or even okay. It was mediocre.

Meyer's poorly disguised self-insert, aka Bella Swan, is rather pathetic. I don't mind semi-autobiographical stories is they're done right, but this is just sad. Not only that, but Meyer has her Mary Sue/self-insert be the most wanted person in school. Bella is an ass to her father (one of the few decent characters) and very patronising and condescending. Ms. Swan is very unlikeable. She's shallow and dull and antifeminist. Not because she cooks and cleans (that in itself is not antifeminist), but because she feels she has to be dependent on a man and do things for him.

On Edward Cullen. Edward Cullen is a lot of teenage girls' dreams. And it's hard to see why not on merely a shallow level. He's hot. He SPARKLES. But underneath the shiny, sparkly surface, he's not a very good person, is he? He's a creepy stalker, for one. He enters her room late at night and watches her sleep. This would only get worse if he'd actually started molesting her and raping her in her sleep. And girls find this romantic ? Sometimes my own gender confuses even me, so I can't imagine what it must be like from a guy's perspective on this whole deal. He's controlling, and he just gets worse through the other three books. He's a melodramatic fool. If he has to stay away from her, do it. Cut the "I'm not strong enough" crap. A lame excuse, that's what that is. And he talks about what a horrible monster he is and how he could kill her with just a flick of his wrist. If so, why doesn't he do it? Why does he care if he hurts her if he's so terrible? Most monsters I know wouldn't give a hang if they took someone's life. Monsters wouldn't go out of their way to drink animal's blood; they would kill any human and not give a thought that the person they just murdered was a person with hopes and dreams and loved ones. Edward doesn't seem to have this mindset, so this broody melodrama is unnecessary and nonsensical.

Lauren Mallory, a character who doesn't play a role in the series, is just a demonstration of how shallow and awful Bella is. Bella describes Lauren as being rude and shallow, but she comments on Lauren's appearance in a rather unflattering light. Hypocritical much? Superficial much? Bella may read Austen novels and not gossip, but clearly she's just as shallow and horrible as the girls she criticises.

The Cullens are decent enough characters, though sometimes I find Alice to be a bit overbearing.

The action is okay but could be improved.

You know someone's writing sucks when the fanfiction based off their works is way better than the canon. No kidding. I've read (and am reading) fanfiction where the characters are actually well-developed and the plot is good. Some fanfics keep the characters' main traits in (like Edward's broodiness and tendency to overreact and Alice's passion for shopping and tendency to pressure Bella to do something she's clearly uncomfortable with.), and some don't stick exactly to the canon. So yeah. The fanfiction is actually better than the canon, which is quite sad.

But it is just a stupid, poorly written book. I don't regret ever reading it, even reading it multiple times and being obsessed with the series. I don't believe it's extremely detrimental to teenage girls. Maybe I'm wrong. ( )
  kyndyleizabella | Jan 23, 2017 |
I read this because my younger sisters were both reading it at the time (one of them was really into it). I really do not understand the fascination, as it is poorly written. ( )
  kemilyh1988 | Jan 16, 2017 |
This book is about Bella and Edward and how they meet. It takes place in Forks, Washington. That is on the Olympic Peninsula. Bella comes from Phoenix, Arizona so she is not used to the cold weather. It is lunch time and 5 beautiful creatures walk in their names are Edward, Alice, Rosaline, Jasper and Emmet. They are Vampires. most of them come form around the time of the Spanish Influenza. Others tried to kill them self's and others were being killed. But there "adopted" father turned them so they did not have to die. But he only did it with their permission. If not though they would die. Would you rather be a vampire or die. Oh wait you are dead either way. But at least you are more alive then you would be in a grave.

In my opinion this is a really good book. I just think that its too much. I mean really do you need a whole book just to introduce the characters and show how they meet. Well some people might think other wise but I don't think you really do. Other than that the book was well detailed and I thought had a great layout. The best part is that it was not confusing. ( )
  Skylar.RB1 | Jan 9, 2017 |
Showing 1-5 of 1937 (next | show all)
"Meyer's prose seldom rises above the serviceable, and the plotting is leaden" [....] "It's like reading a young teenage girl's blog"
added by GYKM | editWashington Post, Elizabeth Hand (May 26, 2010)

Astonishing, mainly for the ineptitude of her prose. Teen vampire schlock that has the nation’s youth in thrall.
added by GYKM | editDaily Telegraph, Brian MacArthur (Nov 13, 2009)

[L]et me say to you as a meat-eating, Entourage-watching, sports-loving (OK, I really don't love sports, or actually understand sports) — heterosexual man who can't sit through a single show on Lifetime television, let me loudly proclaim: I, Brad Meltzer, love the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer.

I confess, I have joined the legions of the bitten and smitten.

The plot may sound rather comic and camp, but Meyer chooses to play it straight and serious. Vampires or not, what this novel is really about is a fatal attraction to someone or something dangerously different from yourself. The trajectory of the story is such that Bella's behavior and choices grow increasingly more disturbing, with irrevocable, self-destructive consequences.

Meyer, Stephenieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pallarés Sanmiguel, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pallarés, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sánchez Raya, María JesúsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Twilight ( [2008]IMDb)
But of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. -- Genesis 2:17
For my big sister, Emily,
without whose enthusiasm this story might still be unfinished.
I'd never given much thought to how I would die—though I'd had reason enough in the last few months—but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this.
Breathe Bella.
You're exactly my brand of heroin.
It's twilight. It's the safest time of the day for us. The easiest part. But also the saddest, in a way. The end of another day, the return of the night.
I'd never given much thought to how I would die—I'd had reason enough in the last few months—but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this.... Surely it was a good way to die, in the place of something else, someone I loved. Noble, even. That ought to count for something.

When Isabella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret.

What Bella doesn't realize is the closer she gets to him, the more she is putting herself and those around her at risk. And, it might be too late to turn back....

Deeply seductive and extraordinarily suspenseful, Twilight will have readers riveted right until the very last page is turned.

About three things I was absolutely positive.
First, Edward was a vampire.
Second, there was a part of him—and I didn't know how dominant that part might be—that thirsted for my blood.
And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316015849, Paperback)

"Softly he brushed my cheek, then held my face between his marble hands. 'Be very still,' he whispered, as if I wasn't already frozen. Slowly, never moving his eyes from mine, he leaned toward me. Then abruptly, but very gently, he rested his cold cheek against the hollow at the base of my throat."

As Shakespeare knew, love burns high when thwarted by obstacles. In Twilight, an exquisite fantasy by Stephenie Meyer, readers discover a pair of lovers who are supremely star-crossed. Bella adores beautiful Edward, and he returns her love. But Edward is having a hard time controlling the blood lust she arouses in him, because--he's a vampire. At any moment, the intensity of their passion could drive him to kill her, and he agonizes over the danger. But, Bella would rather be dead than part from Edward, so she risks her life to stay near him, and the novel burns with the erotic tension of their dangerous and necessarily chaste relationship.

Meyer has achieved quite a feat by making this scenario completely human and believable. She begins with a familiar YA premise (the new kid in school), and lulls us into thinking this will be just another realistic young adult novel. Bella has come to the small town of Forks on the gloomy Olympic Peninsula to be with her father. At school, she wonders about a group of five remarkably beautiful teens, who sit together in the cafeteria but never eat. As she grows to know, and then love, Edward, she learns their secret. They are all rescued vampires, part of a family headed by saintly Carlisle, who has inspired them to renounce human prey. For Edward's sake they welcome Bella, but when a roving group of tracker vampires fixates on her, the family is drawn into a desperate pursuit to protect the fragile human in their midst. The precision and delicacy of Meyer's writing lifts this wonderful novel beyond the limitations of the horror genre to a place among the best of YA fiction. (Ages 12 and up) --Patty Campbell

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Stephenie Meyer

Q: Were you a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Angel? What are you watching now that those shows are off the air?
A: I have never seen an entire episode of Buffy or Angel. While I was writing Twilight, I let my older sister read along chapter by chapter. She's a huge Buffy fan and she kept trying to get me to watch, but I was afraid it would mess up my vision of the vampire world so I never did.

I don't have a ton of time for TV, and my kids get rowdy when I have on "mommy shows," but I do have a secret fondness for reality shows (the good ones, at least in my opinion). I always TiVo Survivor, The Amazing Race, and America's Next Top Model.

Q: What inspired you to write Twilight? Is this the beginning of a series? Why write for teens?
A: Twilight was inspired by a very vivid dream, which is fairly faithfully transcribed as chapter thirteen of the book. There are sequels on the way--I'm hard at work editing book two (tentatively titled New Moon) right now, and book three is waiting in line for its turn.
I didn't mean to write for teens--I didn't mean to write for anyone but myself, so I had an audience of one twenty-nine year old (and later one thirty-one year old when my sister started reading). I think the reason that I ended up with a book for teens is because high school is such a compelling time period--it gives you some of your worst scars and some of your most exhilarating memories. It's a fascinating place: old enough to feel truly adult, old enough to make decisions that affect the rest of your life, old enough to fall in love, yet, at the same time too young (in most cases) to be free to make a lot of those decisions without someone else's approval. There's a lot of scope for a novel in that.

Q: What is your favorite vampire story? Fave vampire movie?
A: I guess my favorite vampire story would be The Vampire Lestat, by Anne Rice, simply because it's one of the only ones I've ever read. I keep meaning to pick up Bram Stoker's Dracula, because I get asked this question so often and I should probably start with the classics, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Again, I'm afraid to read other vampire books now, for fear of finding things either too similar, or too different from my own vampire world.

Ack! I can't even answer the movie question. I can't remember ever seeing a single vampire movie, outside of clips from Bela Lugosi movies on TV. I don't like true horror movies--my favorite scary movies are all Hitchcock's.

Q: What other young adult authors do you read?
A: My favorite young adult author is L.M. Montgomery I also enjoy J.K. Rowling (but who doesn't?), and Ann Brashares. As a teen, I skipped straight to adult books (lots of sci-fi and Jane Austen), so I'm rediscovering the world of teen literature now.

Stephenie Meyer's List of Books You Should Read

Anne of Green Gables

Romeo and Juliet

Dragonflight
To Kill a Mockingbird

The Princess Bride

See more recommendations from Stephenie Meyer

Q&A with Stephanie Meyer

Q: What book has had the most significant impact on your life?
A: The book with the most significant impact on my life is The Book of Mormon. The book with the most significant impact on my life as a writer is probably Speaker for the Dead, by Orson Scott Card, with Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier coming in as a close second.

Q: You are stranded on a desert island with only one book, one CD, and one DVD--what are they?
A: The CD is easy: Absolution by Muse, hands down. It's harder to give myself just one movie, but the one I watch most frequently is Sense and Sensibility--the one with the screenplay by Emma Thompson. One book is impossible. I'd have to have Pride and Prejudice, but I couldn't live without something by Orson Scott Card and a nice, thick Maeve Binchy, too.

Q: What is the worst lie you've ever told?
A: My lies are all very, very boring: "No, you really look great in hot pink!" "My children only watch one hour of TV a day." "I didn't eat the last Swiss Cake Roll--it must have been one of the kids." That's the best I've got.

Q: Describe the perfect writing environment.
A: It's late at night and the house is silent, but I'm still (miraculously) full of energy. I have my headphones in and I'm listened to a mix of Muse, Coldplay, Travis, My Chemical Romance, and The All-American Rejects. Beside me is a fabulous, and yet mysteriously low in calorie, cheesecake....

Q: If you could write your own epitaph, what would it say?
A: I'd like it to say that I really tried at the important things. I was never perfect at any of them, but I honestly tried to be a great mom, a loving wife, a good daughter, and a true friend. Under that, I'd want a list of my favorite Simpsons quotes.

Q: Who is the one person living or dead that you would like to have dinner with?
A: I'd love to have a chance to talk to Orson Scott Card--I have a million questions for him. Mostly things like, "How do you come up with this stuff?!" But, if he wasn't available, I'd settle for Matthew Bellamy (lead singer of Muse).

Q: If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
A: I'd want something offensive, rather than defensive. Like shooting fireballs from my hands. That way, you're really open to going either way--hero or villain. I like to have choices.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:07 -0400)

When seventeen-year-old Bella leaves Phoenix to live with her father in Forks, Washington, she meets an exquisitely handsome boy at school for whom she feels an overwhelming attraction and who she comes to realize is not wholly human.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,674,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible