Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1) by…

Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1) (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Stephenie Meyer

44,873202514 (3.83)2 / 709
Member:lkartje
Title:Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1)
Authors:Stephenie Meyer
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2008), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 544 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Romance, Young Adult, Vampires, Werewolves

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (2005)

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (xcentaur)
    xcentaur: Now that you've had the starters, lets move on to better vampire lit ...
    The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause (Caramellunacy, allisongryski, jfoster_sf, rose_81, Konran)
    Caramellunacy: The Silver Kiss is a vampire romance that deals with being different and misunderstood, loneliness, grief and death - including a spree of murders. There's a definite poignancy to the relationship between Zoe and Simon that makes this well worth reading for fans of vampire lit.… (more)
    jfoster_sf: A classic vampire novel that also deals with love, loss, death, etc.
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (_Zoe_, MyriadBooks)
    Sunshine by Robin McKinley (infiniteletters, allisongryski, goodiegoodie, Konran)
    The Awakening by L. J. Smith (nicoleryan)
    nicoleryan: The Vampire Diaries has more to do with just vampires. Theres witches, wolves, and even underground demons....
    Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    The Awakening / The Struggle by L. J. Smith (_Zoe_)
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (Laelatb, samkablam7, SunnySD)
    Shattered Mirror by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (VictoriaPL)
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (tyuiop159, zippa101, Cpassmore)
    tyuiop159: They both have the same Romeo and Juliet structure.
    zippa101: It really filled that gap that twilight made.
    Demon in My View by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (FFortuna)
    Betrayed by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (jennyellen22)
    New Moan: The First Book in The Twishite Saga: A Parody by Stephfordy Mayo (Browzee)
    Browzee: Brilliant parody of the sillier aspects of Twilight, laugh out loud funny!
    Vampire Academy Box Set 1-6 by Richelle Mead (Aleana)
    A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (HollyMS)
    Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (stephxsu)
    Need by Carrie Jones (knfwalker, FFortuna, deadbookdarling)
    deadbookdarling: YA novel with the same feel as Twilight, only possibly better!
    Shadowland by Meg Cabot (fyrefly98, Jenson_AKA_DL)
    fyrefly98: A series of "teen girl falls in love with supernatural boy" books that don't involve the girl becoming a helpless pile of goo around the boy.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Matia414, ldelprete)
    ldelprete: this is a story in which you can really get attached to the characters. If you like to root for the underdog in stories, like jacob in twilight, then you will enjoy this series where the entire country is an underdog.

English (1,936)  Spanish (21)  German (11)  French (9)  Finnish (8)  Dutch (7)  Italian (5)  Swedish (5)  Danish (4)  Norwegian (4)  Lithuanian (4)  Portuguese (3)  Catalan (3)  All (3)  Latvian (1)  Japanese (1)  All (1)  All (1)  All (2,027)
Showing 1-5 of 1936 (next | show all)
I read this because my younger sisters were both reading it at the time (one of them was really into it). I really do not understand the fascination, as it is poorly written. ( )
  kemilyh1988 | Jan 16, 2017 |
This book is about Bella and Edward and how they meet. It takes place in Forks, Washington. That is on the Olympic Peninsula. Bella comes from Phoenix, Arizona so she is not used to the cold weather. It is lunch time and 5 beautiful creatures walk in their names are Edward, Alice, Rosaline, Jasper and Emmet. They are Vampires. most of them come form around the time of the Spanish Influenza. Others tried to kill them self's and others were being killed. But there "adopted" father turned them so they did not have to die. But he only did it with their permission. If not though they would die. Would you rather be a vampire or die. Oh wait you are dead either way. But at least you are more alive then you would be in a grave.

In my opinion this is a really good book. I just think that its too much. I mean really do you need a whole book just to introduce the characters and show how they meet. Well some people might think other wise but I don't think you really do. Other than that the book was well detailed and I thought had a great layout. The best part is that it was not confusing. ( )
  Skylar.RB1 | Jan 9, 2017 |
Bella, an insecure, "so embarassed why is everyone looking at me" whiny teenager falls for super-gorgeous Edward, a bit insecure himself. She gets sick at the sight of blood. He drinks it. She thinks she's the ugliest creature ever created. He is attracted to her scent and that fact that he can't read her mind (he can read others though).

Edward is a great character in that he struggles with his vampirism. He is still, one hundred years later, uncertain about it.

POSSIBLE SPOILER: And yet he falls for a girl who has only known him a few months and now wants to become part of the family? Come on, get real. END OF SPOILER

The first hundred pages introduces us to the trials and tribulations of a teenager in a new high school in perpetually wet and wild Washington State, in the small, close community of Forks. Gossip, jealousies and glaring (there's lots of people GLARING in Meyers' novel) get tiresome pretty quickly.

Bella nearly gets killed in an accident and Edward saves her from certain death using his vampire strength. She was more concerned with how she looked in a neck brace than in being grateful. I mean, really now!

If you're a teenager or know one, especially female between 13 and 17, then perhaps it would be entertaining.

Similar to the TV series Moonlight and has an ending similar to Rice's Interview With a Vampire (loosely though). But the TV series is better written and Rice's novels were better written.

I'll give the movie a shot. Read this if you are curious of the movie Twilight's original material. ( )
  James_Mourgos | Dec 22, 2016 |
I remember when Twilight first came out. Suddenly, everyone hated it. It was sexist! It encouraged domestic violence! I saw the movie a few years ago and didn't think much of it.

I read a few pages of the book back in 2012, but couldn't get past my own prejudices. So when I found a free copy of Twilight a month ago, I was determined to read it and decide for myself. Was it really as bad as people were saying? Surely I could be open-minded.

So, here's my review. As far as books go, it's not so bad. It's a Young Adult book. The main character is a high school girl, and the book laboriously details everything from homeroom to gym class to the final bell at the end of the day. Will Edward be in school that day? What will Bella's friends discuss at lunch? And so on. I give the author credit for making it seem like the life of a high school student. I know when I wrote Deathskull Bombshell, I was guilty of the same mistake a lot of TV screenwriters make - writing the high schoolers like college students (see also Dawson's Creek, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, etc). So it's nice to see a book written about a normal person who goes through normal everyday things. I would call this a slice-of-life book if it didn't have the supernatural vampire elements.

One problem with this book? It's really, really slow. I got about halfway through and then gave up. The plot sort of drags on. Entire conversations are written in great detail, even when they seem not to have much relevance to the plot. I quickly saw a pattern of Edward taking Bella out so Bella could grill him with questions about his mysterious life, which is cool if you like chaste interrogation scenes, but even the ridiculousness of this book or the twee baby cuteness of Jacob Black couldn't save it.

I tried, I really did.

Personally, I feel that all this hate for Twilight is unwarranted. While I'm not a big fan of the book, I don't see much a point of griping about it either (except in this book review, lol). Some of the Twilight haters are just as enthusiastic, if not more so, than the Twilight lovers. I don't find it especially sexist. It's a book about a girl who reads a lot. Her reading list includes, what, Jane Eyre? Sense and Sensibility? The author obviously wanted to write a character that appealed to nerdy girls who felt they were plain-looking and wanted an imaginary superhero boyfriend to whisk them off their feet. I see no shame in that.

I also feel that the people who are complaining that Twilight encourages domestic abuse aren't giving young people enough credit. Most kids, once they reach a certain age, are able to distinguish between fantasy and reality. I watched Aaah! Real Monsters a lot as a kid, but I knew it was fake. Because I wasn't a dummy. I think (I hope) the vast majority of today's youth know vampires aren't real and no vampire is going to date them. And while the commandeering presence and dominant personality of Edward Cullen might be a concern, let's pause and remember: this is a vampire we are talking about here, and no matter how "pretty boy" they are written in this book, they still have to have some "creepy Lothario" qualities in order to seduce their victims and suck their blood. This whole book is basically about a vegetarian who suddenly craves meat, told from the point-of-view of a strip of bacon.

That's my review. :P Thanks. ( )
1 vote heart77 | Dec 13, 2016 |
This is definitely one of my guilty pleasures. ( )
  Annabelleurb | Dec 12, 2016 |
Showing 1-5 of 1936 (next | show all)
"Meyer's prose seldom rises above the serviceable, and the plotting is leaden" [....] "It's like reading a young teenage girl's blog"
added by GYKM | editWashington Post, Elizabeth Hand (May 26, 2010)

Astonishing, mainly for the ineptitude of her prose. Teen vampire schlock that has the nation’s youth in thrall.
added by GYKM | editDaily Telegraph, Brian MacArthur (Nov 13, 2009)

[L]et me say to you as a meat-eating, Entourage-watching, sports-loving (OK, I really don't love sports, or actually understand sports) — heterosexual man who can't sit through a single show on Lifetime television, let me loudly proclaim: I, Brad Meltzer, love the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer.

I confess, I have joined the legions of the bitten and smitten.

The plot may sound rather comic and camp, but Meyer chooses to play it straight and serious. Vampires or not, what this novel is really about is a fatal attraction to someone or something dangerously different from yourself. The trajectory of the story is such that Bella's behavior and choices grow increasingly more disturbing, with irrevocable, self-destructive consequences.

Meyer, Stephenieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pallarés Sanmiguel, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pallarés, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sánchez Raya, María JesúsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Twilight ( [2008]IMDb)
But of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. -- Genesis 2:17
For my big sister, Emily,
without whose enthusiasm this story might still be unfinished.
I'd never given much thought to how I would die—though I'd had reason enough in the last few months—but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this.
Breathe Bella.
You're exactly my brand of heroin.
It's twilight. It's the safest time of the day for us. The easiest part. But also the saddest, in a way. The end of another day, the return of the night.
I'd never given much thought to how I would die—I'd had reason enough in the last few months—but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this.... Surely it was a good way to die, in the place of something else, someone I loved. Noble, even. That ought to count for something.

When Isabella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret.

What Bella doesn't realize is the closer she gets to him, the more she is putting herself and those around her at risk. And, it might be too late to turn back....

Deeply seductive and extraordinarily suspenseful, Twilight will have readers riveted right until the very last page is turned.

About three things I was absolutely positive.
First, Edward was a vampire.
Second, there was a part of him—and I didn't know how dominant that part might be—that thirsted for my blood.
And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316015849, Paperback)

"Softly he brushed my cheek, then held my face between his marble hands. 'Be very still,' he whispered, as if I wasn't already frozen. Slowly, never moving his eyes from mine, he leaned toward me. Then abruptly, but very gently, he rested his cold cheek against the hollow at the base of my throat."

As Shakespeare knew, love burns high when thwarted by obstacles. In Twilight, an exquisite fantasy by Stephenie Meyer, readers discover a pair of lovers who are supremely star-crossed. Bella adores beautiful Edward, and he returns her love. But Edward is having a hard time controlling the blood lust she arouses in him, because--he's a vampire. At any moment, the intensity of their passion could drive him to kill her, and he agonizes over the danger. But, Bella would rather be dead than part from Edward, so she risks her life to stay near him, and the novel burns with the erotic tension of their dangerous and necessarily chaste relationship.

Meyer has achieved quite a feat by making this scenario completely human and believable. She begins with a familiar YA premise (the new kid in school), and lulls us into thinking this will be just another realistic young adult novel. Bella has come to the small town of Forks on the gloomy Olympic Peninsula to be with her father. At school, she wonders about a group of five remarkably beautiful teens, who sit together in the cafeteria but never eat. As she grows to know, and then love, Edward, she learns their secret. They are all rescued vampires, part of a family headed by saintly Carlisle, who has inspired them to renounce human prey. For Edward's sake they welcome Bella, but when a roving group of tracker vampires fixates on her, the family is drawn into a desperate pursuit to protect the fragile human in their midst. The precision and delicacy of Meyer's writing lifts this wonderful novel beyond the limitations of the horror genre to a place among the best of YA fiction. (Ages 12 and up) --Patty Campbell

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Stephenie Meyer

Q: Were you a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Angel? What are you watching now that those shows are off the air?
A: I have never seen an entire episode of Buffy or Angel. While I was writing Twilight, I let my older sister read along chapter by chapter. She's a huge Buffy fan and she kept trying to get me to watch, but I was afraid it would mess up my vision of the vampire world so I never did.

I don't have a ton of time for TV, and my kids get rowdy when I have on "mommy shows," but I do have a secret fondness for reality shows (the good ones, at least in my opinion). I always TiVo Survivor, The Amazing Race, and America's Next Top Model.

Q: What inspired you to write Twilight? Is this the beginning of a series? Why write for teens?
A: Twilight was inspired by a very vivid dream, which is fairly faithfully transcribed as chapter thirteen of the book. There are sequels on the way--I'm hard at work editing book two (tentatively titled New Moon) right now, and book three is waiting in line for its turn.
I didn't mean to write for teens--I didn't mean to write for anyone but myself, so I had an audience of one twenty-nine year old (and later one thirty-one year old when my sister started reading). I think the reason that I ended up with a book for teens is because high school is such a compelling time period--it gives you some of your worst scars and some of your most exhilarating memories. It's a fascinating place: old enough to feel truly adult, old enough to make decisions that affect the rest of your life, old enough to fall in love, yet, at the same time too young (in most cases) to be free to make a lot of those decisions without someone else's approval. There's a lot of scope for a novel in that.

Q: What is your favorite vampire story? Fave vampire movie?
A: I guess my favorite vampire story would be The Vampire Lestat, by Anne Rice, simply because it's one of the only ones I've ever read. I keep meaning to pick up Bram Stoker's Dracula, because I get asked this question so often and I should probably start with the classics, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Again, I'm afraid to read other vampire books now, for fear of finding things either too similar, or too different from my own vampire world.

Ack! I can't even answer the movie question. I can't remember ever seeing a single vampire movie, outside of clips from Bela Lugosi movies on TV. I don't like true horror movies--my favorite scary movies are all Hitchcock's.

Q: What other young adult authors do you read?
A: My favorite young adult author is L.M. Montgomery I also enjoy J.K. Rowling (but who doesn't?), and Ann Brashares. As a teen, I skipped straight to adult books (lots of sci-fi and Jane Austen), so I'm rediscovering the world of teen literature now.

Stephenie Meyer's List of Books You Should Read

Anne of Green Gables

Romeo and Juliet

Dragonflight
To Kill a Mockingbird

The Princess Bride

See more recommendations from Stephenie Meyer

Q&A with Stephanie Meyer

Q: What book has had the most significant impact on your life?
A: The book with the most significant impact on my life is The Book of Mormon. The book with the most significant impact on my life as a writer is probably Speaker for the Dead, by Orson Scott Card, with Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier coming in as a close second.

Q: You are stranded on a desert island with only one book, one CD, and one DVD--what are they?
A: The CD is easy: Absolution by Muse, hands down. It's harder to give myself just one movie, but the one I watch most frequently is Sense and Sensibility--the one with the screenplay by Emma Thompson. One book is impossible. I'd have to have Pride and Prejudice, but I couldn't live without something by Orson Scott Card and a nice, thick Maeve Binchy, too.

Q: What is the worst lie you've ever told?
A: My lies are all very, very boring: "No, you really look great in hot pink!" "My children only watch one hour of TV a day." "I didn't eat the last Swiss Cake Roll--it must have been one of the kids." That's the best I've got.

Q: Describe the perfect writing environment.
A: It's late at night and the house is silent, but I'm still (miraculously) full of energy. I have my headphones in and I'm listened to a mix of Muse, Coldplay, Travis, My Chemical Romance, and The All-American Rejects. Beside me is a fabulous, and yet mysteriously low in calorie, cheesecake....

Q: If you could write your own epitaph, what would it say?
A: I'd like it to say that I really tried at the important things. I was never perfect at any of them, but I honestly tried to be a great mom, a loving wife, a good daughter, and a true friend. Under that, I'd want a list of my favorite Simpsons quotes.

Q: Who is the one person living or dead that you would like to have dinner with?
A: I'd love to have a chance to talk to Orson Scott Card--I have a million questions for him. Mostly things like, "How do you come up with this stuff?!" But, if he wasn't available, I'd settle for Matthew Bellamy (lead singer of Muse).

Q: If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
A: I'd want something offensive, rather than defensive. Like shooting fireballs from my hands. That way, you're really open to going either way--hero or villain. I like to have choices.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:07 -0400)

When seventeen-year-old Bella leaves Phoenix to live with her father in Forks, Washington, she meets an exquisitely handsome boy at school for whom she feels an overwhelming attraction and who she comes to realize is not wholly human.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,768,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible