Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1) by…

Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1) (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Stephenie Meyer

43,204197514 (3.85)2 / 546
Title:Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1)
Authors:Stephenie Meyer
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2008), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 544 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (2005)

The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause (Caramellunacy, allisongryski, jfoster_sf, rose_81, Konran)
    Caramellunacy: The Silver Kiss is a vampire romance that deals with being different and misunderstood, loneliness, grief and death - including a spree of murders. There's a definite poignancy to the relationship between Zoe and Simon that makes this well worth reading for fans of vampire lit.… (more)
    jfoster_sf: A classic vampire novel that also deals with love, loss, death, etc.
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (xcentaur)
    xcentaur: Now that you've had the starters, lets move on to better vampire lit ...
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (_Zoe_, MyriadBooks)
    Sunshine by Robin McKinley (infiniteletters, allisongryski, goodiegoodie, Konran)
    The Awakening by L. J. Smith (nicoleryan)
    nicoleryan: The Vampire Diaries has more to do with just vampires. Theres witches, wolves, and even underground demons....
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (Laelatb, samkablam7, SunnySD)
    Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    The Awakening / The Struggle by L. J. Smith (_Zoe_)
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (tyuiop159, zippa101, Cpassmore)
    tyuiop159: They both have the same Romeo and Juliet structure.
    zippa101: It really filled that gap that twilight made.
    Shattered Mirror by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (VictoriaPL)
    Demon in My View by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (FFortuna)
    Betrayed by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Vampire Academy Box Set 1-6 by Richelle Mead (Aleana)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (jennyellen22)
    New Moan: The First Book in The Twishite Saga: A Parody by Stephfordy Mayo (Browzee)
    Browzee: Brilliant parody of the sillier aspects of Twilight, laugh out loud funny!
    A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (Hollerama)
    Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (stephxsu)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Matia414, ldelprete)
    ldelprete: this is a story in which you can really get attached to the characters. If you like to root for the underdog in stories, like jacob in twilight, then you will enjoy this series where the entire country is an underdog.
    Need by Carrie Jones (knfwalker, FFortuna, deadbookdarling)
    deadbookdarling: YA novel with the same feel as Twilight, only possibly better!
    A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb (jbarry)

English (1,888)  Spanish (19)  German (11)  French (9)  Finnish (8)  Dutch (7)  Italian (6)  Swedish (5)  Lithuanian (4)  Norwegian (4)  Portuguese (3)  Catalan (3)  Danish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Latvian (1)  Japanese (1)  Chinese, simplified (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,977)
Began this with much skepticism. It certainly didn't sound like a book I would enjoy, but several people had recommended it -- including an avid non-reader who couldn't put it down. So, I decided to give it a try.

And I enjoyed it -- for the novel situations, the humor and the very realistic, three-dimensional characters (not excluding the "monsters" who struggle over who they are). I can't help it. I recommend this book. ( )
  Denise.Jenne | Sep 29, 2015 |
Ridiculously overrated. ( )
  Hobbitlass | Sep 16, 2015 |
"I think my review for this is long overdue; I will try to write my opinions here without being oppressive or too negative. I read most of it - I couldn't help skipping some parts which were boring me to death - and wasn't thrilled. The writing wasn't very good, in my opinion. Bella came out as a utterly bland character and I didn't connect with her even a little. Then there was Edward. After reading the book, I can't really understand why people are so infatuated with him because I just found him to be kind of bizarre and not all that interesting either. While I feel pretty much the same way about the movies, I find that they were at least more enjoyable, since Hollywood made a really good job with the action scenes, song track and some other details.

More recently, I heard that the 50 Shades series was based off of a Twilight fan-fiction. I, particularly, would never touch those books with a ten-foot-pole for many reasons, but I know the premise and have read criticism about it. Yes, this is a Twilight review, but this is quite relevant. Christian Grey, as I see it, is James' version of Edward and is somehow even creepier. Once I realized this, I began to notice the influence Twilight has on fictional romantic relationships, especially in YA books, and it's quite scary. To think that other authors are following Twilight's lead and thinking that's actually a cool thing to do is, and it's the biggest understatement of my life, appalling.

Nowadays, I don't hate Twilight as I did some years ago. Maybe I got more mature in the sense that I don't really make a fuss about everything that I like or don't like. Maybe this series isn't that much of a thing that it used to be, so there are less frenetic teenagers telling me about it everywhere I go. Who knows? Honestly, I think this is one of those books which you will like, if you are searching for things to like. For example, there are some cool couples, vampires and other magical creatures - however weird their depiction might seem -, the general awkwardness of high school - I think the author actually handled the new-kid-at-school thing pretty well; she managed to use school situations to express her dry sense of humor. Unfortunately, not with the frequency necessary to save the story.

On the other hand, if you open this book looking for things to dislike, you will find plenty. Meyer constantly uses completely contradictory statements all through the story. Does it make Twilight a bad book? I don't think so. But it certainly gives it an amateurish feel. However, that shouldn't be such a surprise, given that, in several interviews, the author confessed that when she wrote the book she wasn't expecting much of it - she was just writing a story that she enjoyed writing and that was it. That justifies some of the main problems that I have with Twilight: the poor language usage, the sickening obsessive behavior that impregnates the relationship between the protagonists.

But then, that's me. And I am not that important to judge people for their literary tastes or any tastes at all. Moreover, there's something beyond value and judgement, a deep and particular good feeling that comes from reading a book that you like, for whatever reason. If tons of people have discovered the pleasures of reading through Twilight, so this cannot be discarded as a complete waste of time. Not this, not questionable music or anything. We cannot forget, also, that Twilight is targeted at young audiences, who are still discovering their true tastes in pretty much everything in life; what I mean is that there is no shame in finding out that you like reading through books like this. There will surely be plenty of time for people to explore other genres and authors and discover books that will positively influence their lives even more than this one did.

The Last Passage
His eyebrows rose. ""Is that what you dream about? Being a monster?""
""Not exactly,"" I said, frowning at his word choice. Monster, indeed. ""Mostly I dream about being with you forever.""
His expression changed, softened and saddened by the subtle ache in my voice.
""Bella."" His fingers lightly traced the shape of my lips. ""I will stay with you — isn't that enough?""
I smiled under his fingertips. ""Enough for now.""
He frowned at my tenacity. No one was going to surrender tonight. He exhaled, and the sound was practically a growl.
I touched his face. ""Look,"" I said. ""I love you more than everything else in the world combined. Isn't that enough?""
""Yes, it is enough,"" he answered, smiling. ""Enough for forever.""
And he leaned down to press his cold lips once more to my throat.
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
I liked the back story of Carlisle Cullen but wish it was more in depth. Lots of mistakes in book imo. I will stick with the movies. ( )
  Fearshop | Aug 20, 2015 |
Oh my! How sad! Such angst! What SHOULD I wear to a vampire baseball game? Enough said. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
"Meyer's prose seldom rises above the serviceable, and the plotting is leaden" [....] "It's like reading a young teenage girl's blog"
added by GYKM | editWashington Post, Elizabeth Hand (May 26, 2010)
Astonishing, mainly for the ineptitude of her prose. Teen vampire schlock that has the nation’s youth in thrall.
added by GYKM | editDaily Telegraph, Brian MacArthur (Nov 13, 2009)
[L]et me say to you as a meat-eating, Entourage-watching, sports-loving (OK, I really don't love sports, or actually understand sports) — heterosexual man who can't sit through a single show on Lifetime television, let me loudly proclaim: I, Brad Meltzer, love the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer.
I confess, I have joined the legions of the bitten and smitten.
The plot may sound rather comic and camp, but Meyer chooses to play it straight and serious. Vampires or not, what this novel is really about is a fatal attraction to someone or something dangerously different from yourself. The trajectory of the story is such that Bella's behavior and choices grow increasingly more disturbing, with irrevocable, self-destructive consequences.

Meyer, Stephenieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pallarés Sanmiguel, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pallarés, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sánchez Raya, María JesúsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Twilight ( [2008]IMDb)
But of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. -- Genesis 2:17
For my big sister, Emily,
without whose enthusiasm this story might still be unfinished.
I'd never given much thought to how I would die—though I'd had reason enough in the last few months—but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this.
Breathe Bella.
You're exactly my brand of heroin.
It's twilight. It's the safest time of the day for us. The easiest part. But also the saddest, in a way. The end of another day, the return of the night.
I'd never given much thought to how I would die—I'd had reason enough in the last few months—but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this.... Surely it was a good way to die, in the place of something else, someone I loved. Noble, even. That ought to count for something.

When Isabella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret.

What Bella doesn't realize is the closer she gets to him, the more she is putting herself and those around her at risk. And, it might be too late to turn back....

Deeply seductive and extraordinarily suspenseful, Twilight will have readers riveted right until the very last page is turned.

About three things I was absolutely positive.
First, Edward was a vampire.
Second, there was a part of him—and I didn't know how dominant that part might be—that thirsted for my blood.
And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316015849, Paperback)

"Softly he brushed my cheek, then held my face between his marble hands. 'Be very still,' he whispered, as if I wasn't already frozen. Slowly, never moving his eyes from mine, he leaned toward me. Then abruptly, but very gently, he rested his cold cheek against the hollow at the base of my throat."

As Shakespeare knew, love burns high when thwarted by obstacles. In Twilight, an exquisite fantasy by Stephenie Meyer, readers discover a pair of lovers who are supremely star-crossed. Bella adores beautiful Edward, and he returns her love. But Edward is having a hard time controlling the blood lust she arouses in him, because--he's a vampire. At any moment, the intensity of their passion could drive him to kill her, and he agonizes over the danger. But, Bella would rather be dead than part from Edward, so she risks her life to stay near him, and the novel burns with the erotic tension of their dangerous and necessarily chaste relationship.

Meyer has achieved quite a feat by making this scenario completely human and believable. She begins with a familiar YA premise (the new kid in school), and lulls us into thinking this will be just another realistic young adult novel. Bella has come to the small town of Forks on the gloomy Olympic Peninsula to be with her father. At school, she wonders about a group of five remarkably beautiful teens, who sit together in the cafeteria but never eat. As she grows to know, and then love, Edward, she learns their secret. They are all rescued vampires, part of a family headed by saintly Carlisle, who has inspired them to renounce human prey. For Edward's sake they welcome Bella, but when a roving group of tracker vampires fixates on her, the family is drawn into a desperate pursuit to protect the fragile human in their midst. The precision and delicacy of Meyer's writing lifts this wonderful novel beyond the limitations of the horror genre to a place among the best of YA fiction. (Ages 12 and up) --Patty Campbell

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Stephenie Meyer

Q: Were you a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Angel? What are you watching now that those shows are off the air?
A: I have never seen an entire episode of Buffy or Angel. While I was writing Twilight, I let my older sister read along chapter by chapter. She's a huge Buffy fan and she kept trying to get me to watch, but I was afraid it would mess up my vision of the vampire world so I never did.

I don't have a ton of time for TV, and my kids get rowdy when I have on "mommy shows," but I do have a secret fondness for reality shows (the good ones, at least in my opinion). I always TiVo Survivor, The Amazing Race, and America's Next Top Model.

Q: What inspired you to write Twilight? Is this the beginning of a series? Why write for teens?
A: Twilight was inspired by a very vivid dream, which is fairly faithfully transcribed as chapter thirteen of the book. There are sequels on the way--I'm hard at work editing book two (tentatively titled New Moon) right now, and book three is waiting in line for its turn.
I didn't mean to write for teens--I didn't mean to write for anyone but myself, so I had an audience of one twenty-nine year old (and later one thirty-one year old when my sister started reading). I think the reason that I ended up with a book for teens is because high school is such a compelling time period--it gives you some of your worst scars and some of your most exhilarating memories. It's a fascinating place: old enough to feel truly adult, old enough to make decisions that affect the rest of your life, old enough to fall in love, yet, at the same time too young (in most cases) to be free to make a lot of those decisions without someone else's approval. There's a lot of scope for a novel in that.

Q: What is your favorite vampire story? Fave vampire movie?
A: I guess my favorite vampire story would be The Vampire Lestat, by Anne Rice, simply because it's one of the only ones I've ever read. I keep meaning to pick up Bram Stoker's Dracula, because I get asked this question so often and I should probably start with the classics, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Again, I'm afraid to read other vampire books now, for fear of finding things either too similar, or too different from my own vampire world.

Ack! I can't even answer the movie question. I can't remember ever seeing a single vampire movie, outside of clips from Bela Lugosi movies on TV. I don't like true horror movies--my favorite scary movies are all Hitchcock's.

Q: What other young adult authors do you read?
A: My favorite young adult author is L.M. Montgomery I also enjoy J.K. Rowling (but who doesn't?), and Ann Brashares. As a teen, I skipped straight to adult books (lots of sci-fi and Jane Austen), so I'm rediscovering the world of teen literature now.

Stephenie Meyer's List of Books You Should Read

Anne of Green Gables

Romeo and Juliet

To Kill a Mockingbird

The Princess Bride

See more recommendations from Stephenie Meyer

Q&A with Stephanie Meyer

Q: What book has had the most significant impact on your life?
A: The book with the most significant impact on my life is The Book of Mormon. The book with the most significant impact on my life as a writer is probably Speaker for the Dead, by Orson Scott Card, with Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier coming in as a close second.

Q: You are stranded on a desert island with only one book, one CD, and one DVD--what are they?
A: The CD is easy: Absolution by Muse, hands down. It's harder to give myself just one movie, but the one I watch most frequently is Sense and Sensibility--the one with the screenplay by Emma Thompson. One book is impossible. I'd have to have Pride and Prejudice, but I couldn't live without something by Orson Scott Card and a nice, thick Maeve Binchy, too.

Q: What is the worst lie you've ever told?
A: My lies are all very, very boring: "No, you really look great in hot pink!" "My children only watch one hour of TV a day." "I didn't eat the last Swiss Cake Roll--it must have been one of the kids." That's the best I've got.

Q: Describe the perfect writing environment.
A: It's late at night and the house is silent, but I'm still (miraculously) full of energy. I have my headphones in and I'm listened to a mix of Muse, Coldplay, Travis, My Chemical Romance, and The All-American Rejects. Beside me is a fabulous, and yet mysteriously low in calorie, cheesecake....

Q: If you could write your own epitaph, what would it say?
A: I'd like it to say that I really tried at the important things. I was never perfect at any of them, but I honestly tried to be a great mom, a loving wife, a good daughter, and a true friend. Under that, I'd want a list of my favorite Simpsons quotes.

Q: Who is the one person living or dead that you would like to have dinner with?
A: I'd love to have a chance to talk to Orson Scott Card--I have a million questions for him. Mostly things like, "How do you come up with this stuff?!" But, if he wasn't available, I'd settle for Matthew Bellamy (lead singer of Muse).

Q: If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
A: I'd want something offensive, rather than defensive. Like shooting fireballs from my hands. That way, you're really open to going either way--hero or villain. I like to have choices.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:07 -0400)

When seventeen-year-old Bella leaves Phoenix to live with her father in Forks, Washington, she meets an exquisitely handsome boy at school for whom she feels an overwhelming attraction and who she comes to realize is not wholly human.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,785,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible