Snow Angels: A Novel by Stewart O'Nan

Snow Angels: A Novel (original 1994; edition 2008)

by Stewart O'Nan

Member:dara85
Title:Snow Angels: A Novel
Authors:Stewart O'Nan
Info:Picador (2008), Edition: 2nd, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction, Read
Rating:**
Tags:Fiction, murder, divorce, Pennsylvania, 1970's, reconcile, winter, Christmas

Snow Angels by Stewart O'Nan (1994)

The short version: Read this book. Buy this book. Preferably, not in that order.

Except from Full Review:
The best quality about Snow Angels, shared by one of my favorite movies, 5 Centimeters Per Second, is that it exemplifies the idea of simply being a slice of life book. As the story unfolds, the conclusion comes, not with a nice tidied ending, with life better for all those involved, but with the emotional realization that what has occurred is simply life. Nothing about Arthur or his mother and father will get better. Everything from the murder of his baby sitter to the divorce of his parents simply is.

Writing, as profession, means that the writer must win or earn the readers trust. Sometimes, far too often, writers attempt to earn this trust by creating thin emotional attachments to characters and tying the story up neatly in the end. O’Nan takes that premise, grabs hold of our emotions as a reader, and never lets go. He doesn’t rely on gimmicks of quick actions and lots of character references that pass for depth and emotion connection. No, he earns that with quiet character moments, building to the realization in the end that Arthur’s crappy existence isn’t going to get any better. No magical resolution to end Snow Angels, instead replaced with an emotional resolution where the readers catharsis is the acknowledgment that Snow Angels mirrors life so well.

Full Review:
http://sypherhawq.wordpress.com/2014/07/05/book-review-snow-angels-by-stewart-on... ( )
  sypherhawq | Jul 5, 2014 |
Very sad and depressing book . Characters and setting are very believable . You know how this book will end from the beginning. Time and place. ( )
  librarian1204 | Apr 27, 2013 |
I really liked this book. It's the story of a murder told by a adolescent who knew the victim from his childhood. A coming of age story (separating parents, first love) mixed together with a bit of mystery. Touching.
  verenka | Jun 13, 2010 |
My first impression of this book was that it was meant for 6th graders. The font size used was huge and made it appear as if it had 10 words per page.

Once I started reading it, I realized I wasn’t too far off. While the subject matter is too much of a downer for a nine year old, the way the story was written would have made them feel right at home. The sentences were choppy and had no weight to them.

There were so many missed opportunities that could have made this book a knockout, but were simply washed away. The deaths of several characters were described in at most 2 simply written paragraphs. I was left with a feeling of wanting more (or really SOMETHING) and getting handed simply a statement.

You don’t get a sense of love or hatred for any of the characters. While a lot of situations were sad, they were just that. Sad. Then you moved on. You didn’t relate to the characters just the situation, which when it comes to reading a 300 page book, would help.

I was disappointed by this book as it was recommended by someone who reads a massive amount of books. This book will definitely be sold at the next yard sale. No reason to keep it. ( )
  TheBookJournal | Nov 25, 2009 |
Spoiler Alert. I was disappointed. I guess I often am. At least he didn't kill the dog. I was worried he might. It was hard to care about the characters. I know, they are human and flawed but I didn't find much to hold on to.
  franoscar | Sep 18, 2009 |
For my mother and father and John
I was in the band the fall my father left, in the second row of trombones, in the middle because I was a freshman.

Now a major motion picture from Warner Independent starring Sam Rockwell and Kate Beckinsale

Arthur Parkinson is fourteen during the dreary winter of 1974. Enduring the pain of his parents' divorce, his world is shattered when his beloved former babysitter, Annie, falls victim to a tragic series of events. The interlinking stories of Arthur's unraveling family, and of Annie's fate, form the backdrop of this intimate tale about the price of love and belonging, told in a spare, translucent, and unexpectedly tender voice.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:39 -0400)

A small-town tragedy with strong characterization. A grown man recounts two interwoven events which occurred when he was a boy, the break up of his family and the murder of his baby sitter. By the author of In the Walled City.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,733,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible