The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster…

The Warrior's Apprentice (1986)

by Lois McMaster Bujold

2,281712,800 (4.19)1 / 241
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two unusual protagonists who rely on their tongue, wit and ingenuity to get themselves out of tight scrapes.
    The Pride of Chanur by C. J. Cherryh (Aquila)
    The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both young protagonists are dealing with a disability.
    Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff (BeaconsBright)
    BeaconsBright: Another great space opera
    On Basilisk Station by David Weber (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For arguably unusual persons in command.

English (63)  Spanish (4)  Italian (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (71)
Sorcerer's Apprentice in space. Well kinda. Very intelligent and often funny, this novel shows the early power of Bujold and her Vorkosiverse. The writing could be considered clumsy by standards set in her later books, but the overall novel is so well done I doubt most people would notice. What's next? Ethan of Athos, if I go by publication order, or The Vor Game, if I go by internal chronology. Decisions,decisions. ( )
  bemidt | Apr 20, 2016 |
  bemidt | Apr 20, 2016 |
These are really, really good. After reading a couple from later in the series, I've tracked back and read this one, which introduces the character of Miles Naismith Vorkosigan. Although handicapped by several birth defects due to an assassination attempt on his parents before his birth, Miles refuses to be stopped. He has an advantage in being part of the planet of Barrayar's military aristocracy - and he also happens to be both brilliant and charismatic.
His strategic brilliance doesn't help him when he fails to pass the physical tests required by his military academy, though. His hopes dashed, he and a childhood friend, Elena, go on a visit to Beta Colony. Here a credulity-straining but thoroughly entertaining chain of events begins... starting with Miles trying to bail out a random pilot in danger of losing his ship - and ending with Miles as the Admiral of a mercenary fleet.
Good, exciting fun from start to finish. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
An adventure tale that comes close to being implausible at times, but manages to keep disbelief suppressed long enough for the reader to enjoy. ( )
  fuzzi | Dec 11, 2015 |
Young Miles Vorkosigan, suffering from a crippling bone affliction and freshly rejected from military service, sets off on an adventure in which he steals a spaceship, starts an army of mercenaries, captures a fleet of ships, and joins in a war between distant planets. All without really meaning to.

Great fun. Miles is a wonderful character. I'm surprised no one has turned this into a movie.

A note about series: I don't normally read them. I don't like to commit to reading a large amount by any one author (except my favorite authors). Since I'm a completist, with many series, once I start, I feel like I have to barrel through to the end. Even though this is not the first book in the very long Vorkosigan series, I read in many reviews that it was a good place to start. I did not feel at all lost or like I was missing something, and I also didn't feel a compulsion to continue with the series. I now know that Bujold's books are good for light popcorn reads when I need one, but I don't need to complete the series to feel satisfied. ( )
  sturlington | Oct 20, 2015 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gutierrez, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jainschigg, NicholasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lillian Stewart Carl
The tall and dour non-com wore Imperial dress greens and carried his communications panel like a field marshall's baton.
"That's because I've got forward momentum. There's no virtue in it. It's just a balancing act. I don't dare stop."
"I guess it just doesn't look very heroic to sneak up behind somebody and shoot them in the back. I can't help thinking it would be more efficient, though."
But reason seemed to run backwards, conclusions swallowed in premises, and premises in silence, until in the end only silence and the unanswerable object remained.
More battles have been won or last by the quartermasters than by any general staff.
"A verbal agreement is the most binding of contracts! Your soul is in your breath, and therefore in your voice. Once pledged it must be redeemed."

Seventeen-year-old Miles Vorkosigan has a lot to live up to, as the son of the Butcher of Komarr and grandson of General Count Piotr Vorkosigan, hero of the Cetagandan Invasion. Unluckily for him, his biology isn’t up to the challenge. After failing the physical for the Barrayaran Military Academy, he takes a trip to visit his grandmother and accidentally becomes the leader of a small mercenary fleet.

While neither the first published nor the first chronologically of Bujold’s award-winning Vorkosigan Saga, this book is one of the generally accepted starting points for the sixteen-volume series.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067172066X, Mass Market Paperback)

Discharged from the Barrarayan academy after flunking the physical, a discouraged Miles Vorkosigan takes possession of a jumpship and becomes the leader of a mercenary force that expands to a fleet of treasonous proportions. Reprint. AB.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:39 -0400)

88 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,254,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible