The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster…

The Warrior's Apprentice (original 1986; edition 2005)

by Lois McMaster Bujold, Grover Gardner (Narrator)

2,381752,627 (4.18)1 / 251
Member:mirrordrum
Title:The Warrior's Apprentice
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Other authors:Grover Gardner (Narrator)
Info:audible.com from Blackstone Audiobooks (2005), Edition: Unabridged, Audio Cassette
Rating:***1/2
Tags:audiobook, audible.com, Grover Gardner, Science fiction, Miles Vorkosigan

The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (1986)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two unusual protagonists who rely on their tongue, wit and ingenuity to get themselves out of tight scrapes.
    The Pride of Chanur by C. J. Cherryh (Aquila)
    The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both young protagonists are dealing with a disability.
    Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff (BeaconsBright)
    BeaconsBright: Another great space opera
    On Basilisk Station by David Weber (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For arguably unusual persons in command.

English (66)  Spanish (4)  Italian (4)  Dutch (1)  All (75)
The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold is another book in the Vorkosigan saga, which I have been rereading this year. It's the second book published, the first (published and chronologically) about Miles Vorkosigan and the third chronologically in the main timeline (or the fourth if you count a very distant prequel). It was originally the first book I read of the saga and, while I enjoyed it immensely at the time, I actually found it more satisfying upon rereading after the two Cordelia books, Shards of Honour and Barrayar.

I enjoyed this book the first time I read it — I loved Miles and it made me want to read the rest of the series — but I feel like I got more out of it after rereading. The background/side plot regarding the events of Miles's parents generation was actually covered in Shards of Honour and Barrayar in much more detail and the scenes in The Warrior's Apprentice harking back to those events were much more impactful having just read about them. So while The Warrior's Apprentice seemed like a good place to start (and I don't blame people for suggesting it), I think starting with Shards of Honour is a much better idea.

Miles is only seventeen in this book, which is easy to forget, given the scale of his adventures. It all starts innocuously enough with Miles failing the physical part of the Imperial Military Academy exam. His holiday to take his mind off things and consider his future options kind of spirals out of control, however, when smuggling and a warzone become involved. Miles is clever and amusing, making this book quite engaging. Although I also enjoyed the two Cordelia books proceeding it, I loved this one even more. Cordelia is awesome but Miles is larger than life and I love reading about him.

As well as Miles, we get to properly meet Elena, Bothari's daughter, and follow the next (Mile-centric) chapter of Bothari's life, after the unfortunate events we see or learn about in the earlier two books. Miles's able-bodied age-mate cousin Ivan also makes an appearance. All of these characters know Miles well and provide a counterpoint to the various new people he encounters over the course of the story. Since most of the new people are Galactics (that is, not Barrayaran), there have significantly different cultural reactions to his appearance than the generally ableist random Barrayarans back home. It's interesting to see how this can be a kind of advantage to Miles, as opposed to the disadvantage it is back home.

The Warrior's Apprentice is an excellent read. It's an OK entry point to the Vorkosigan saga, but I recommend reading it after Shards of Honour and Barrayar to appreciate it most fully. And of course, I enjoyed it enough the first time to reread it, and enough the second time to (again) give it five stars. I am very excited to continue rereading Miles's adventures.

5 / 5 stars

You can find more reviews on my blog ( )
  Tsana | Apr 30, 2017 |
I've read at least 2 or 3 other Miles books but this one was the best by far. I would almost give this 5 stars but it didn't really have the "cool" factor that usually pushes books to that height. It was never boring, I like the writing style, lots of shorter sentences instead of run on literary writing, though the prose was beautiful when it needed to be. Loved how Miles figured his way out of every situation, must have fun to come up with solutions when writing it.

Will definitely be trying more now on a series I had almost given up on. ( )
  ragwaine | Oct 14, 2016 |
Sorcerer's Apprentice in space. Well kinda. Very intelligent and often funny, this novel shows the early power of Bujold and her Vorkosiverse. The writing could be considered clumsy by standards set in her later books, but the overall novel is so well done I doubt most people would notice. What's next? Ethan of Athos, if I go by publication order, or The Vor Game, if I go by internal chronology. Decisions,decisions. ( )
  bemidt | Apr 20, 2016 |
  bemidt | Apr 20, 2016 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gutierrez, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jainschigg, NicholasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lillian Stewart Carl
The tall and dour non-com wore Imperial dress greens and carried his communications panel like a field marshall's baton.
"That's because I've got forward momentum. There's no virtue in it. It's just a balancing act. I don't dare stop."
"I guess it just doesn't look very heroic to sneak up behind somebody and shoot them in the back. I can't help thinking it would be more efficient, though."
But reason seemed to run backwards, conclusions swallowed in premises, and premises in silence, until in the end only silence and the unanswerable object remained.
More battles have been won or last by the quartermasters than by any general staff.
"A verbal agreement is the most binding of contracts! Your soul is in your breath, and therefore in your voice. Once pledged it must be redeemed."

Seventeen-year-old Miles Vorkosigan has a lot to live up to, as the son of the Butcher of Komarr and grandson of General Count Piotr Vorkosigan, hero of the Cetagandan Invasion. Unluckily for him, his biology isn’t up to the challenge. After failing the physical for the Barrayaran Military Academy, he takes a trip to visit his grandmother and accidentally becomes the leader of a small mercenary fleet.

While neither the first published nor the first chronologically of Bujold’s award-winning Vorkosigan Saga, this book is one of the generally accepted starting points for the sixteen-volume series.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067172066X, Mass Market Paperback)

Discharged from the Barrarayan academy after flunking the physical, a discouraged Miles Vorkosigan takes possession of a jumpship and becomes the leader of a mercenary force that expands to a fleet of treasonous proportions. Reprint. AB.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:39 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,175,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible