The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster…

The Warrior's Apprentice (original 1986; edition 2005)

by Lois McMaster Bujold, Grover Gardner (Narrator)

2,076None3,178 (4.21)1 / 171
Member:mirrordrum
Title:The Warrior's Apprentice
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Other authors:Grover Gardner (Narrator)
Info:audible.com from Blackstone Audiobooks (2005), Edition: Unabridged, Audio Cassette
Rating:***1/2
Tags:audiobook, audible.com, Grover Gardner, Science fiction, Miles Vorkosigan

The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (1986)

adventure (22) audio (10) audiobook (17) Barrayar (12) bujold (24) ebook (39) fantasy (17) fiction (174) Kindle (15) mercenaries (13) Miles (10) Miles Vorkosigan (54) military (34) military sf (24) novel (18) own (17) paperback (23) politics (11) read (46) science fiction (556) series (37) sf (146) sff (50) space opera (118) speculative fiction (14) to-read (25) unread (10) Vorkosigan (148) Vorkosigan Saga (27) vorkosiverse (15)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two unusual protagonists who rely on their tongue, wit and ingenuity to get themselves out of tight scrapes.
    On Basilisk Station by David Weber (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For arguably unusual persons in command.
    Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff (BeaconsBright)
    BeaconsBright: Another great space opera
    The Pride of Chanur by C. J. Cherryh (Aquila)

English (51)  Spanish (3)  Italian (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (58)
In The Warrior’s Apprentice, we finally get to meet Miles Vorkosigan, one of the most famous characters in all of science fiction. He’s not the kind of hero you’d expect, but he’s tons of fun. Always trying to compensate for his deficiencies makes him little manic and that creates chaos….
http://www.fantasyliterature.com/fantasy-author/bujoldloismcmaster/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
The Warrior’s Apprentice is a true space opera featuring interplanetary wars, spaceships hurling through wormholes and much blasting of exotic weapons with names like plasma arcs, stunners and needlers. What made this book stand out for me was how Lois McMaster Bujold created such a great balance between the rollicking adventure story and her superb character development.

In this book we meet the grown, almost mature, Miles Naismith Vorkosigan. He is extremely clever, witty, and in possession of a silver-tongue. He has the ability to talk anyone into just about anything, and yet he is humble and will go out of his way to keep from inflicting pain. Miles is as engaging a character as one would wish, for, heroic, trustworthy and caring. A brilliant strategist, the fact that he stands under 5 feet tall, and his bones are extremely brittle are all that stand between him and entry into the Barrayar Military Service. When he fails the entry level tests, he leaves his home planet of Barrayar and goes to visit his grandmother on the planet of Beltan. Through a series of misadventures he finds himself in possession of a spaceship and then accidentally creates a mercenary army. With the help of his friends and his cousin Ivan, he manages to come full circle back to his home planet.

There are other fully fleshed characters that help move the story along as well. Bothari, the bodyguard that has been at Miles’ side since infancy, his daughter Elena, and the aforementioned cousin Ivan along with the various mercenaries that join up along the way. Sergeant Bothari, an old favorite from the previous books, is a man with a twisted, dark past, of which the character repents of, but carries inside himself with a grave and solemn dignity.

A truly fun story, with moments of laugh-out-loud humor, but also a few moments that can bring one to tears. I was sorry at the end of Barrayar to say goodbye to Cordelia as the main character, but now, having met Miles, I am eager to continue on with him in the drivers’ seat. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Mar 18, 2014 |
I really enjoyed learning more of Miles Vorkosigan's backstory, and how his mercenary corps came to be. Since I'm reading the books out of order, it was shocking to me, to find out more about Sgt. Bothari. The way his character was handled, in the books I've read, was very tender and yet uncompromising. He was a complex man, and one of Bujold's finer creations.

That said, this was not enough of a novel to successfully contain the word "sardonic", by my count, at least seven times. ( )
  duende | Feb 6, 2014 |
This is the beginning of such a beloved long-running sci-fi series, I hate to admit I didn't like it very much. I'd heard it was "space opera lite" so I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, but I was expecting something with a little more substance.

The protagonist, Miles, is the sole driving force of the plot. He's smart, honorable, and charming (though painfully unfunny) and we want him to succeed, especially in spite of his physical deformity. But it's hard to feel bad as he experiences setback after setback when you know that he's the one who got himself into this mess to begin with, and for no real reason except the urge to solve every problem he sees. Eventually more than just his pride is at stake, and the story gets exiting. But it's still just an easily-solvable tactical puzzle to Miles, not the kind of thing that gets you emotionally invested.

Most of the side characters don't have a lot of personality. Miles' friend and maybe-love-interest Elena, through an absurd coincidence, ends up facing an interesting conflict. But it's shoehorned in towards the end of the book, and the conclusions of other subplots overshadow it. I'm sure the side characters will be explored more in later books, but maybe if they'd made more of an impression on me I'd be more likely to read further.

But hey, I seem to be in the minority with this opinion. Probably if you want to read some light space adventures, this series will suit you just fine. ( )
  thatpirategirl | Jan 16, 2014 |
It looks like I've found another series to glom onto – this book was lots of fun, and I can't wait to read more, particularly more about Miles.

I absolutely loved Miles. He had an insane amount of energy and drive. He was highly intelligent and usually had a good grasp of his strengths and weaknesses. However, he wasn't superhuman, and the way people reacted to him could still affect him. He hated that so many people, even some of his own family members, doubted he'd be able to accomplish much within Barrayaran society, and it hurt when he couldn't make his father and grandfather proud by qualifying for military service. Just about every stranger who met him took one look at him and assumed he must be a mutant, due to the effect his badly healed bones had on his posture.

Although Miles failed the physical portion of his qualifying exam at the beginning of the book, he proved himself to be 100% awesome over and over again throughout the rest of the story. Faced with more than any one person could possibly deal with, he delegated work and projected an aura of confidence and control. His “lie first, figure out how to deal with the consequences later” policy simultaneously saved him and got him into more trouble. It was the story equivalent of watching someone run very fast down a flight of stairs – exciting, a little horrifying in its potential for massive failure, and fast-paced enough that it was sometimes hard to keep track of the lies and how Miles was managing to keep everything together.

The one thing I found frustrating about Miles was his crush on Elena. I admit, I was so nervous about how things would go between the two of them that I looked up spoilers. Even without the spoilers, it wasn't hard to figure out that Elena was falling in love with someone else, so my biggest worry was how Miles would react once she rejected him. As sharp as Miles was when dealing with all the “Dendarii Mercenaries” stuff, he seemed to miss everything where Elena was concerned – it was sometimes hard to remember that he was only 17, so I suppose that served as a reminder.

The book's biggest weakness, I think, was its world-building. It sometimes felt like world details were being made up as needed, in much the same way Miles lied in the spur of the moment and then made the lies fit together later on. There were quite a few times when I wasn't really sure what was going on and had to just allow my love for Miles to carry me along. Because I did love Miles so much, any confusion on my part mostly didn't bother me.

I definitely plan on reading more of this series. I want more hyperactive, clever, poker-faced, lying Miles, and I'm also interested, to a lesser degree, in Miles' parents. The Mountains of Mourning, chronologically the book (novella?) right after The Warrior's Apprentice, will probably be what I read next. Then I'll need to decide whether to buy more of the series in e-book form or in print. I have a feeling I'll be getting the e-books first (yes, Baen won me over) and then keeping an eye out for used print copies. More and more of my reading seems to be done on my e-reader anymore, but I'd like to have print copies around as "back-ups."

(Original review, with read-alikes and watch-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Sep 24, 2013 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gutierrez, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jainschigg, NicholasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lillian Stewart Carl
The tall and dour non-com wore Imperial dress greens and carried his communications panel like a field marshall's baton.
Information from the Lithuanian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Seventeen-year-old Miles Vorkosigan has a lot to live up to, as the son of the Butcher of Komarr and grandson of General Count Piotr Vorkosigan, hero of the Cetagandan Invasion. Unluckily for him, his biology isn’t up to the challenge. After failing the physical for the Barrayaran Military Academy, he takes a trip to visit his grandmother and accidentally becomes the leader of a small mercenary fleet.

While neither the first published nor the first chronologically of Bujold’s award-winning Vorkosigan Saga, this book is one of the generally accepted starting points for the sixteen-volume series.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067172066X, Mass Market Paperback)

Discharged from the Barrarayan academy after flunking the physical, a discouraged Miles Vorkosigan takes possession of a jumpship and becomes the leader of a mercenary force that expands to a fleet of treasonous proportions. Reprint. AB.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:32 -0400)

88 wanted2 pay3 pay

Current discussions

Vorkosigan Group Read: Young Miles in 2014 Category Challenge

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,450,543 books! | Top bar: Always visible