Sweetheart by Chelsea Cain

Sweetheart (2008)

by Chelsea Cain

Series: An Archie Sheridan / Gretchen Lowell Novel (2)

English (74)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All (78)
I really had hoped that this would be the end of it. I really dislike Archie, I don't understand him.
Why 'love', how 'be attracted to' a person that kills people, that tortured you and still keeps doing that?

The story in itself was okay, but not very spectacular. I don't think I want to read another book in the series. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Dec 15, 2017 |
Heartsick introduced us all to Archie, the vicoden popping torture victim/Portland detective. We met Susan, bizarre hair colored closet cigarette smoking Oregon journalist with a penchant for married men. Last but not least, Gretchen Lowell, pacific northwest serial killer with 200 murders under her belt..

With Gretchen in jail and Archie (her final victim) clutching loosely at his own pill induced death, everything seems like it is going to cool down in Portland. Archie is drawn into another series of murders, unfortunately the clues are slim. Susan is tracking down information about a local senator and his sexual escapades with a 14 year old babysitter, a story that is over a decade old.

There was a lot of humor, dark black humor in this book. humor might be a bit incorrect, as it leans more toward humour (as in the fluids), coming out of whatever hole the murderer has created in the corpse. Regardless, there was a more solid/lively feel to some of the characters, even in situations where there should have been none. You could tell that Chelsea was more in her element, that she was more comfortable with the personalities of her creations. She was able to create the connections between characters and situations with out being overbearing.

Perfect for serial killer fans and thriller junkies.

Book two of Chelsea Cain's series was phenomenal. I was caught off guard. I was rooting for the bad guy, yet hoping she would die painfully. I could not get enough of it. I was sad when the end arrived. I was left wanting the third book to be finished and in my hands.

Anyway, not much of a review.. but hey.. lazy plus in a hurry equals me spoutin' off with the clickety clack of the keyboard.
  JasonBrownPDX | Jun 12, 2017 |
READ IN DUTCH

After reading Heartsick, Cain's first book about Gretchen and Archie, I was a little disappointed but still interested enough to read the second book. I'm glad I did. I liked it better. The story and writing style had improved. In my opinion Archie seems to be almost as crazy as Gretchen is, which is one of the most terrifying parts of the story. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Not quite as page turning as the first one but a nice continuation of the characters. ( )
  add_dragon | Mar 26, 2016 |
Addictive sequel to Cain's "Heartsick" -- featuring serial killer Gretchen Lowell, detective Archie Sheridan, and reporter Susan Ward. Picks up shortly after the end of the first novel, with the intersection of a story Ward is pursuing and the ongoing twisted relationship of Archie and Gretchen. As with the first novel, hard to put down... ( )
  justacatandabook | Mar 9, 2016 |

Chelsea Cainprimary authorall editionscalculated
McCormick, CarolynReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brod, Oliversecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gelder, Mariëtte vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kinzel, FredTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malmsjö, Jansecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Savikurki, Kristiinasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Village Books in Bellingham, Washington, for taking me in as a kid, and letting me sit for hours reading books on all those cold winter evenings. You are to blame for this.
Forest Park was pretty in the summer.
That's always the one you remember. First cigarette. First kiss. First corpse in a park.
A master's degree in creative writing. Five years of newspaper journalism. And still, the only question she could manage was 'What's going on?'
The other coffee was black. He handed her the black one. 'Dark and bitter, right?' he said.
"You have to turn back," he said to Henry, motioning back down the mountain.
Henry pointed to the siren on the hood. "Portland PD," he said.
"Have you come to arrest the fire?" the ranger asked.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031236847X, Hardcover)

With Heartsick, Chelsea Cain took the crime world by storm, introducing two of the most compelling characters in decades: serial killer Gretchen Lowell and her obsessed pursuer Portland Detective Archie Sheridan. The book spent four weeks on the New York Times bestseller list and garnered rave reviews around the world. But the riveting story of Archie and Gretchen was left unfinished, and now Chelsea Cain picks up the tale again.

When the body of a young woman is discovered in Portland’s Forest Park, Archie is reminded of the last time they found a body there, more than a decade ago: it turned out to be the Beauty Killer’s first victim, and Archie’s first case. This body can't be one of Gretchen's—she’s in prison—but after help from reporter Susan Ward uncovers the dead woman's identity, it turns into another big case. Trouble is, Archie can't focus on the new investigation because the Beauty Killer case has exploded: Gretchen Lowell has escaped from prison.

Archie hadn't seen her in two months; he'd moved back in with his family and sworn off visiting her. Though it should feel like progress, he actually feels worse. The news of her escape spreads like wildfire, but secretly, he's relieved. He knows he's the only one who can catch her, and in fact, he has a plan to get out from under her thumb once and for all.

Chelsea Cain has topped her own bestselling debut thriller with this unputdownable, unpredictable, edge-of-your-seat read.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:48 -0400)

Damaged detective Archie Sheridan is back home in Portland, Ore., trying to resume a normal life. Archie's ties to serial killer Gretchen Lowell still run deep, even if he's stopped their weekly visits in prison. Meanwhile, reporter Susan Ward is finishing an article accusing a beloved U.S. senator of seducing his children's 14-year-old babysitter a decade earlier. When three bodies are discovered in a local park where Archie's team found Gretchen's first victim 12 years earlier, Archie worries another serial killer is at large. After the senator's unexpected death, Susan discovers links between the sex scandal and the bodies in the park. When Gretchen escapes from prison, Archie knows he's the only one who can stop her from killing.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Chelsea Cain's book Sweetheart was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,856,075 books! | Top bar: Always visible