The Enemy by Charlie Higson

The Enemy

by Charlie Higson

What - Post apocalyptic novel about a world where the grown-ups (people over 15 or so) had been turned into rage zombies.

X meets Y - Gone by Michael Grant meets The Walking Dead

Who likes - Zombie, fantasy loving people.

It's a decently long read filled with action, adventure, brave kids making foolish mistakes andn paying for them. ( )
  Vulco1 | Oct 12, 2018 |
I binge read the whole series. It brings a whole new meaning to the landmarks of London. ( )
  kk1 | Aug 24, 2018 |
Lots of gore, which is a good thing. I liked this book a lot. It was a fun ride full of action. The perfect book for a quick, nasty scare. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Good. I had a hard time starting it, but by the middle I was hooked. ( )
  EdenSteffey | Mar 14, 2018 |
I loved this book. I was looking for something that wasn't too heavy. I wanted to get lost in a book while I was on break between quarters (my college is on the quarter system instead of the semester system). This is the perfect book.

Charlie Higson can really write. Each character has its own specific voice. The best thing about the book is the Higson can create the child characters without making them sound, well, sound the way an adult thinks kids sound like. He writes in the teenager and pre-teen voice very well. The male and female characters are written very well that they were all very distinguished from each other.

This is the zombie equivalent of "The Hunger Games". Written so well. I had such a hard time putting it down that my husband had to take the book away from me periodically so I would turn off the light and go to bed.

The idea that adults and older teenagers turned into flesh eating zombie like creatures leaving all the younger teenagers and children to fend for themselves is a very interesting idea. Very Lord of the Flies except there are adults and they're trying to eat children. There are ideas about safety areas and the disappointment when things don't go as planned.

Higson does a really great job of exploring the psychology of these kids. It's not too deep because it is a YA novel, but it's mature enough that as an adult I wasn't bored but intrigued.

This is a fast paced read. There are tense moments and touching moments. Sections when you'll laugh and other times when you just might tear up. overall this is an excellent read for anyone. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |

They'll chase you. They'll rip you open. They'll feed on you...When the sickness came, every parent, policeman, politician - every adult - fell ill. The lucky ones died. The others are crazed, confused and hungry. Only children under fourteen remain, and they're fighting to survive. Now there are rumours of a safe place to hide. And so a gang of children begin their quest across London, where all through the city - down alleyways, in deserted houses, underground - the grown-ups lie in wait. But can they make it there - alive?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:08 -0400)

After a disease turns everyone over sixteen into brainless, decomposing, flesh-eating creatures, a group of teenagers leave their shelter and set out of a harrowing journey across London to the safe haven of Buckingham Palace.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,134,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible