When I Was Puerto Rican by Esmeralda…

I loved this book beyond reason, but I admit for very personal reasons. This certainly resonated with me in ways someone without a Puerto Rican background wouldn't share, although that doesn't mean they wouldn't appreciate it. Just that my response to it was so personal I'm aware I didn't have an objective response to it at all. It was hard to see Esmeralda Santiago when I was constantly thinking of my own family and what we shared in our experiences and attitudes and background and what we didn't. I guess this is to me what A Tree Grows in Brooklyn might be for someone with an Irish background--not that I didn't love that book as a teen myself. But I've found few works about the Hispanic American experience that I could identify with and like. (I despised the celebrated House on Mango Street by Cisneros for instance.)

In a lot of ways mind you Santiago and I are very different--you could say her experience is much closer to the experience of my mother than myself. It was my mother and her family that was born and raised in Puerto Rico. I'm a native New Yorker who has only spent a few brief vacations in Puerto Rico, the longest one entire summer when I was a child, even if it was an indelible experience. But when Santiago spoke of the morivivi plant and the coquis (tree frogs) and mango and coconut trees, it sure brought back memories of that magical summer. Nor did I grow up in Hispanic neighborhoods or close to our extended family--but in integrated neighborhoods and buildings. So there are times I think growing up I didn't have a full context for things that Santiago illuminated. For instance, I have called my aunt "Titi" for as long as I can remember. I thought it was my word for her. As it turns out it's what Santiago called her aunts as well. Mind you, I have to admit feeling a bit disappointed in that... And "jibaro"--it was funny how different our families saw the word. She translated it as "country person" and mostly took pride in it as an identity. In my family it was disparaging--the Puerto Rican equivalent of hillbilly or redneck and used as a comment on bad taste or a display of ignorance or "low class" behavior. And we never, ever used the word "gringo" in our household so when I first heard the word, I thought of it as something Mexicans said of Americans--not Puerto Ricans. I think that reflects another difference between us and our families. Santiago expressed at times an ambivalence, a resentment of how moving to the American mainland made her a "hybrid." My family never looked back. Not that they ever forgot where they came from or were ashamed of being Puerto Ricans--but above all we were proud of being Americans, and the opportunities that opened to us, and happy to adapt and assimilate. Well, mostly--goodness knows my aunt is not to be separated from her Puerto Rican foods or cooking. She wouldn't, like Santiago, express any ambivalence about grabbing a guava... (or avocado, mango, bacaloa, or ugh pig feet.)

I'd add that even if my reaction to this felt so personal, I couldn't help but note this was "objectively" a good read. Santiago's a good, good writer. This is a memoir that read like a novel--one of those works of "creative non-fiction" I feel somewhat ambivalent about usually but was fine with here. I'd add that for all I compared this to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and is a coming of age story that follows Santiago from about ten to fourteen years old, I wouldn't call this a Young Adult work. It's frank in sexual content for one--not G-rated, I'd call this PG-13 at least--you'll even learn some Spanish curse words (if you didn't already know them)--so keep that in mind. ( )
1 vote LisaMaria_C | Dec 19, 2013 |
Puerto Rico. This is primarily a memoir of a Puerto Rican childhood. Santiago gives a satisfying account of daily life with its occasional dramatic, punctuating events. She uses description well to imbue the landscape with emotional resonance. The New York section was thinner and seemed rushed. It would have benefited from an additional 20% of the page count added to allow more showing and less telling. ( )
  OshoOsho | Mar 30, 2013 |
A beautifully written memoir. I like Ms. Santiago's style- it's very everyday and conversational. It reminds me of listening to my father-in-law's stories of growing up in Puerto Rico as a young boy. As another reviewer pointed out, very few lives naturally have the story arc that a well-crafted novel would generally have, so the memoir is episodic and a little scatter-brained, but I think that this is not a bad thing. I think it fits, seeing as how this is a book about the first thirteen or fourteen years of Ms. Santiago's life, and many people do not have solid memories of their childhood- my memories of my own childhood are also scattered. I tend to only remember the really big, earth-shaking things. That seems to be true for a lot of people. Memories in general tend to be staccato bursts, and I think this is a memoir that illustrates that perfectly. It's honest, written conversationally, and casual, like a favorite auntie telling stories. It is not pretentious. It's not written with lots of gigantic words to impress the reader. It's very down-to-earth, and it's wonderful. ( )
  psychedelicmicrobus | Mar 24, 2013 |
This is a nicely written memoir of the author's childhood in the Puerto Rico of the 1950s—Santiago can write vividly and lucidly. Unfortunately, the subject matter seemed to hamper the book a little—no one's life has a narrative arc the way that a novel does, so things are of necessity somewhat episodic, and as she is a young child for most of the book, her experiences are mostly passive ones, caused by the actions of other people. I was also a little irked by the narrative device of scattering some Spanish words and phrases throughout the text—with the exception of those which are genuinely untranslatable, I don't see the need for it. That device always seems a cheap way of creating an aura of exoticism. Still, enjoyable—perhaps best suited for a YA audience and/or one with a connection to Puerto Rico. ( )
  siriaeve | Feb 4, 2013 |
I love this book & story. It really was a bit of an eye-opener to what it was like growing up Hispanic during that era. ( )
  mamibunny | Aug 19, 2012 |
Under its palm frond wings, the little house on the hill sense the freshness of morning and opens its eyes to the dawn. A bird flies from its nest. The rooster jumos from the branch. From the nostrils of calves separated from the cows run the milk of dawn. Butterflies swarm-ruby, sapphire, gold, silver-orphan flowers in search of the mother branch. -from "Claroscuro" by Luis Llorens Torres
There are guavas at the Shop and Save.

Selling over 16,000 copies in hardcover, this triumphant coming-of-age memoir is now available in paperback editions in both English and Spanish. In the tradition of Black Ice, Santiago writes lyrically of her childhood on her native island and of her bewildering years of transition in New York City.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:39 -0400)

[The author's] story begins in rural Puerto Rico, where her warring parents and seven siblings led a life of uproar, but one full of love and tenderness as well. Growing up, Esmeralda learned the proper way to eat a guava, the sound of the tree frogs in the mango groves at night, the taste of the delectable sausage called morcilla, and the formula for ushering a dead baby's soul to heaven. But just when Esmeralda seemed to have learned everything, she was taken to New York City, where the rules - and the language - were bewilderingly different. How Esmeralda overcame adversity, won acceptance to New York City's High School of Performing Arts, and then went on to Harvard, where she graduated with highest honors, is a record of a tremendous journey by a truly remarkable woman. -BooksInPrint.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,551,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible