Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir…

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Rhoda Janzen

Member:amyblue
Title:Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home
Authors:Rhoda Janzen
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Tags:read in 2012, memoir, unfinished

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home by Rhoda Janzen (2009)

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both of these books deal with a woman looking for meaning and trying to deal with failed relationships in their past -- one travels the world, the other goes home, but both have written heartfelt and funny memoirs about the experience.
    The Possibility of Everything by Hope Edelman (Alliebadger)
    The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance: A Memoir by Elna Baker (LAKobow)
    Love Shrinks: A Memoir of a Marriage Counselor's Divorce by Sharyn Wolf (FFortuna)
    I'm Down: A Memoir by Mishna Wolff (amyblue)
    amyblue: Both books are funny and thoughtful memoirs of somewhat unusual childhoods.

English (150)  Dutch (1)  All languages (151)
From Publishers Weekly

Starred Review. At first, the worst week of Janzen's life—she gets into a debilitating car wreck right after her husband leaves her for a guy he met on the Internet and saddles her with a mortgage she can't afford—seems to come out of nowhere, but the disaster's long buildup becomes clearer as she opens herself up. Her 15-year relationship with Nick had always been punctuated by manic outbursts and verbally abusive behavior, so recognizing her co-dependent role in their marriage becomes an important part of Janzen's recovery (even as she tweaks the 12 steps just a bit). The healing is further assisted by her decision to move back in with her Mennonite parents, prompting her to look at her childhood religion with fresh, twinkling eyes. (She provides an appendix for those unfamiliar with Mennonite culture, as well as a list of shame-based foods from hot potato salad to borscht.) Janzen is always ready to gently turn the humor back on herself, though, and women will immediately warm to the self-deprecating honesty with which she describes the efforts of friends and family to help her re-establish her emotional well-being. (Oct.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title. ( )
  lmbigens | May 9, 2015 |
The writing is very intelligent. Mennonite phrases or terms are well explained. The beginning brings laughter as Rhoda [a:Rhoda Janzen|2885514|Rhoda Janzen|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1276006919p2/2885514.jpg] comes to terms with her situation. These are the ramblings of a woman who has gone through a hard marriage, an accident, and now on her sabbatical is understanding what it is that life is offering her. She needs to connect with her foundations, 'go back to her roots' and accept the person she is. Not that we needed it but I would have enjoyed more on her later relationship with Soren. ( )
  sharlenehsmith | Mar 9, 2015 |
3.5 stars

Rhoda Janzen grew up in a Mennonite community. She left, became an English professor, and married an atheist. After he leaves her for a man, Rhoda decides to head home to spend some time with her parents.

I enjoyed this. It was quick to read, there were humourous bits, and I liked the tidbits of Mennonite life. Of course, I recognize some of it, as my Dad's family is Mennonite. It's always fun to see our last name in books (pretty much only ever a book with Mennonites in it!). ( )
  LibraryCin | Jan 4, 2015 |
3 1/2 stars! ( )
  mara.murdoch | Nov 4, 2014 |
A memoir by a college teacher from a Mennonite family, who after having left the Mennonite faith returns home many years later, bodily and a little mentally broken after an abusive marriage. At times very funny, sometimes insightful, it gave me a new look at Mennonite customs and how strong family bonds can be. This could be made into a great movie. ( )
  klockrike | Aug 7, 2014 |
“Mennonite in a Little Black Dress” is loose and gossipy, organic and unhurried without losing control. It has “a real nice shape,” to use a compliment one matchmaker applies to Janzen herself... I loved this book, and Rhoda Janzen. She is a terrific, pithy, beautiful writer, a reliable, sympathetic narrator and a fantastically good sport.

For Mary Loewen Janzen
The year I turned forty-three was the year I realized I should have never taken my Mennonite genes for granted.
"When you're young, faith is often a matter of rules. What you should do and shouldn't do, that kind of thing. But as you get older, you realize that faith is really a matter of relationship - with God, with the people around you, with the members of your community" (p 137)
Wrapped in his own misery and despair, he was incapable of the simple practiced presence that love demands. (p 171)
I'd never minded the little things in Nick's behavior; I'd never even noticed them. It was after Nick had left me that I learned the lesson: it's when you don't love somebody that you do notice the little things. Then you mind them. You mind them terribly. (p 181)

Not long after Rhoda Janzen turned forty, her world turned upside down. It was bad enough that her husband of fifteen years left her for Bob, a guy he met on Gay.com, but that same week a car accident left her injured. Needing a place to rest and pick up the pieces of her life, Rhoda packed her bags, crossed the country, and returned to her quirky Mennonite family's home, where she was welcomed back with open arms and offbeat advice. (Rhoda's good-natured mother suggested she get over her heartbreak by dating her first cousin—he owned a tractor, see.)

Written with wry humor and huge personality—and tackling faith, love, family, and aging—Mennonite in a Little Black Dress is an immensely moving memoir of healing, certain to touch anyone who has ever had to look homeward in order to move ahead.

"It is rare that I literally laugh out loud while I'm reading, but Janzen's voice—singular, deadpan, sharp-witted and honest—slayed me." —Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:05 -0400)

A hilarious and moving memoir--in the spirit of Anne Lamott and Nora Ephron--about a woman who returns home to her close-knit Mennonite family after a personal crisis.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mennonite In A Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,026,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible