The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian by Robert…

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian (2003)

by Robert E. Howard

English (16)  Swedish (1)  All languages (17)
Gotta love the Conan! Did you know that Cimmeria was partially based on teh Texas Hill Country? ( )
  DougGoodman | May 16, 2014 |
The best barbarian and sword character is Conan. The imagery that come to mind when you read this book shows the skill of Robert E. Howard. These stories will still be the standard by which all others are measured for the swashbuckling fantasy genre. ( )
  Kurt.Rocourt | Jun 20, 2013 |
Conan, the ultimate Barbarian, gleefully fights civilized Man. (And yes, it is Man he fights. Conan is remarkably chivalrous with all women, even those who betray him. He gleefully fucks the young "supple" ones, but only when they consent.)
A corrupt court official describes the difference between civilized politicians and barbarian outlaws:
"'You exploit a whole kingdom for your personal greed, and under the guise of disinterested statesmanship, you swindle the king, beggar the rich, oppress the poor, and sacrifice the whole future of the nation for your ruthless ambition. You are no more than a fat hog with his snout in the trough. You are a greater thief than I am. This Cimmerian [Conan] is the most honest man of the three of us, because he steals and murders openly." Kindle location 5708

Life would be simple and grand if civilization were Conan's only foe, but the real fight in these stories is about "the cosmic tragedy of the fitful ephemera called mankind and the hooded shapes of darkness which prey upon it." location 6757
Over and over Conan stumbles upon the ruins of a lost civilization, within which lies the sleeping demon of its destruction. Unfortunately, he has this habit of arriving just as the demon awakens.
Conan describes one such monster:
"'A devil from the Outer Dark,' he grunted. 'Oh, they're nothing uncommon. They lurk as thick as fleas outside the belt of light which surrounds this world. I've heard the wise men of Zamora talk of them. Some find their way to Earth, but when they do, they have to take on earthly form and flesh of some sort." location 6201
The demons come from "ultimate horror, ... black cosmic foulness born in night-black gulfs beyond the reach of a madman's wildest dreams." location 6176
  maryoverton | Apr 28, 2013 |
You know, I used to think I hated Conan stories. That was before I realized that what I had read were in fact imperfect pastiches written by other writers in the 60's and 70's who hoped to cash in on the iconic popularity of the character.

This volume presents the stories of Conan the Cimmerian as they were written by his creator, Robert E. Howard, and a better group of dashing, creepy, brooding sword & sorcery tales couldn't be wished for. The stories are presented in the order they were written by Howard, which give us glimpses into various parts of his career: from King to freebooter, from thief to warrior, we see Conan forging his way through the Hyborian Age after Atlantis fell.

There are a load of classics in this volume from "The Phoenix on the Sword", a tale of King Conan fighting against rebellion; "The Tower of the Elephant" where Conan, a young thief, meets an otherworldy prisoner when trying to steal a fabled treasure; and "Queen of the Black Coast" a rousing pirate tale in which Conan meets his match (and more besides) in the female captain Bêlit.

It's great stuff. Howard's talent proves to be much greater than many of his pulp contemporaries, and while these stories may not win the pulitzer prize any day soon, they give an excellent dose of adventure and fantasy when you're in the mood. Conan might even surprise you with a few philosophical words of wisdom, by Crom! ( )
  dulac3 | Apr 2, 2013 |
I discovered Conan in my pre-teen years and after my first taste I couldn't get enough. Ever since, he has been my all time favorite hero! I was so excited to see all of REH's Conan stories collected! I found that as an adult rereading them after all these years I got so much more out of them than I did as a kid. I recommend these compilations to anybody wanting to revisit the original REH Conan stories through adult eyes. ( )
  Moghedianx7 | Apr 21, 2012 |

Robert E. Howardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McLaren, ToddNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schultz, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The original hardcover edition by Wandering Star is titled "Conan of Cimmeria : volume one (1932-1933)". It was published in paperback format by Random House under a different title, "The coming of Conan the Cimmerian". The publications contain the same text.
The Gnome Press edition "The Coming of Conan (1953)" is also different from the Wandering Star/Random House editions.

Collection of the Conan stories in original publication order. Foreword by the edition's illustrator, Mark Shulz. Introduction by editor Patrice Louinet sets the stage for the original stories presented as the author created them, without embellishments or rewrites from other editions.

“Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities . . . there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars. . . . Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand . . . to tread
the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.”

Conan is one of the greatest fictional heroes ever created–a swordsman who cuts a swath across the lands of the Hyborian Age, facing powerful sorcerers, deadly creatures, and ruthless armies of thieves and reavers.

In a meteoric career that spanned a mere twelve years before his tragic suicide, Robert E. Howard single-handedly invented the genre that came to be called sword and sorcery. Collected in this volume, profusely illustrated by artist Mark Schultz, are Howard’s first thirteen Conan stories, appearing in their original versions–in some cases for the first time in more than seventy years–and in the order Howard wrote them. Along with classics of dark fantasy like “The Tower of the Elephant” and swashbuckling adventure like “Queen of the Black Coast,” The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian contains a wealth of material never before published in the United States, including the first submitted draft of Conan’s debut, “Phoenix on the Sword,” Howard’s synopses for “The Scarlet Citadel” and “Black Colossus,” and a map of Conan’s world drawn by the author himself.

Here are timeless tales featuring Conan the raw and dangerous youth, Conan the daring thief, Conan the swashbuckling pirate, and Conan the commander of armies. Here, too, is an unparalleled glimpse into the mind of a genius whose bold storytelling style has been imitated by many, yet equaled by none.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:03 -0400)

Includes thirteen stories in the order that they were originally written. Conan the pirate, the swordsman, the army commander, and the thief are all here along with a map of the Hyborian World, drawn by Howard himself. Also included are other synopsis and story fragments (many that were completed by others), a poem, and notes on the original texts.… (more)

Legacy Library: Robert E. Howard

Robert E. Howard has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Robert E. Howard's legacy profile.

See Robert E. Howard's author page.

79 wanted2 pay5 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,477,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible