A Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary…

A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (1792)

by Mary Wollstonecraft (Author)

2,207182,942 (3.81)67

I think everyone should read this book. Everyone. Sometimes I reread it just to remind myself how fiercely this battle was being fought in the eighteenth century, and how hard we still have to fight. A little righteous fury goes a long way. ( )
  rrainer | Sep 20, 2013 |
Apart from Class ridden snobbery condemming working classes to manual work and paying attention to current social mores, Wollestonecraft makes a reasoned case for women to shove off the fripperies of womanhood and get into some solid educational DIY.
Her thesis is a woman is a better wife etc if she is educated rather than an uneducated bimbo who is more concerned with the latest fashion than by the state of her brain. I think this holds true.
Well worth reading, well written and an easy read in comparison to other philosophy texts. ( )
  wonderperson | Mar 30, 2013 |
Upon my third dedicated attempt to read The Vindication of the Rights of Women by Mary Wollstonecraft, I loved it! I was in the right mood to read it, and I gave myself a fixed block of time to get started in it.

Wollstonecraft’s prose is rather dense, and she is arguing against Rousseau’s comments and philosophies, which were unfamiliar to me. She seems to me to repeat herself. And yet, much of what Wollstonecraft argued resonated with me. I also loved her bits of sarcasm. Except, given her era, I’m certain she did not intend it to be funny. She’s completely serious.

More thoughts on my blog
One read of this long essay is certainly not enough. I’ll have to read it again in the future to expand on other insights, especially given that my own notes of this read were lost.
1 vote rebeccareid | Oct 14, 2011 |
This is a valuable tool for understanding late 18th century thought, and how a real live woman ahead of her time framed her opinions on the rights and education of women long before modern feminism. ( )
2 vote Unreachableshelf | Sep 6, 2011 |
This is often called the first major feminist text, in some ways I actually think it is the first "equalist" text. She is answering some of the male thoughts on women in the Eighteenth century. In this book Wollstonecraft argues for the right of girls to be educated alongside boys, taught to the best of their abilities not just "trained" to be wives.

Not an easy read unless you are familiar with the Eighteenth century style of writing. Some words have veered away from the meanings as used and the context is two centuries away from modern time. But get beyond that and what she has to say is as valid now as it was then. ( )
3 vote calm | May 9, 2011 |

Wollstonecraft, MaryAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brody, MiriamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rowbotham, SheilaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the present state of society it appears necessary to go back to first principles in search of the most simple truths, and to dispute with some prevailing prejudice every inch of ground.

Writing in an age when the call for the rights of man had brought revolution to America and France, Mary Wollstonecraft produced her own declaration of female independence in 1792. Passionate and forthright, A Vindication of the Rights of Woman attacked the prevailing view of docile, decorative femininity and instead laid out the principles of emancipation: an equal education for girls and boys, an end to prejudice, and the call for women to become defined by their profession, not their partner. Mary Wollstonecraft?s work was received with a mixture of admiration and outrage?Walpole called her ?a hyena in petticoats??yet it established her as the mother of modern feminism.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:18 -0400)

"In an age of ferment, following the American and French revolutions, Mary Wollstonecraft took prevailing egalitarian principles and dared to apply them to women. Her book is both a sustained argument for emancipation and an attack on a social and an economic system. As Miriam Brody points out in her introduction, subsequent feminists tended to lose sight of her radical objectives. For Mary Wollstonecraft all aspects of women's existence were interrelated, and any effective reform depended on the redistribution of political and economic power. Walpole once called her 'a hyena in petticoats', but it is a tribute to her forceful insight that modern feminists are finally returning to the arguments so passionately expressed in this remarkable book."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,283,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible