Instruments of Darkness: A Novel by Imogen…

Instruments of Darkness: A Novel (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Imogen Robertson

Member:ludmillalotaria
Title:Instruments of Darkness: A Novel
Authors:Imogen Robertson
Info:Penguin (2011), Kindle Edition, 386 pages
Collections:Your library, eText
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Historical Mystery, England, Georgian, 18th Century, 1774-1780, eBook, Kindle, 2012 Read

Instruments of Darkness by Imogen Robertson (2009)

I read to page 17 and quit. There were two many parallel plots going on and the writing was pretty dull. I may pick it up again some day but right now I'm reading other, more interesting mysteries so Im going to continue with those for now.
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
That's it, I'm throwing in the towel! The book is just so boring and I just hate to force myself to read something. I had enough of that when I studied thank you very much! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Jun 14, 2016 |
Good summer read, and excellent narrator. Story kept me engaged, but seemed a little Hollywood in the end. Still, I would read another. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
It took me forever to read this book. I liked it but would not rush out to get more int the series. The mains characters I found rather annoying. They way they played off of each other was uncomfortable and didn't carry my interest. ( )
  anglophile65 | Mar 8, 2016 |
1 vote | Feb 9, 2016 | edit |
It’s a sensitive melodrama, investing almost every character with a dark and sometimes unsavory past, its plot filled with signet rings, wills, adventuresses, concealed letters and dissection, all set against the pleasantly unpleasant background of the Gordon Riots, which prodded a mob of Protestant Londoners into an anti-Catholic frenzy. The climax, as might be expected, involves a chase across the ravaged city to ensure that justice is done to the wronged and that the wrongdoers get their comeuppance.

For the Family
Gabriel Crowther opened his eyes.

Gabriel Crowther
An anatomist
And an English sailor's wife
Track down a killer.
(scvlad)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067002242X, Hardcover)

An intricate historical page-turner about a forbidding country estate and the unlikely forensic duo who set out to uncover its deadly secrets.

In the year 1780, Harriet Westerman, the willful mistress of a country manor in Sussex, finds a dead man on her grounds with a ring bearing the crest of Thornleigh Hall in his pocket. Not one to be bound by convention or to shy away from adventure, she recruits a reclusive local anatomist named Gabriel Crowther to help her find the murderer, and historical suspense's newest investigative duo is born.

For years, Mrs. Westerman has sensed the menace of neighboring Thornleigh Hall, seat of the Earl of Sussex. It is the home of a once- great family that has been reduced to an ailing invalid, his whorish wife, and his alcoholic second son, a man haunted by his years spent as a redcoat in the Revolutionary War. The same day, Alexander Adams is slain by an unknown killer in his London music shop, leaving his children orphaned. His death will lead back to Sussex, and to an explosive secret that has already destroyed one family and threatens many others.

Instruments of Darkness combines the brooding atmosphere of Anne Perry with the complex, compelling detail of Tess Gerritsen, moving from drawing room to dissecting room, from coffee house to country inn. Mrs. Westerman and Mr. Crowther are both razor-sharp minds and their personalities breathe spirit into this gripping historical mystery.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:33 -0400)

Discovering a dead neighbor from a menacing local estate, the unconventional Mrs. Westerman of 1780 Sussex enlists a reclusive local anatomist to uncover the family's secrets, which include ties to the American Revolution and links to the murder of a music shop owner.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,106,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible