Never the Bride: A Novel by Rene Gutteridge

Never the Bride: A Novel

by Rene Gutteridge

Goodreads writes:

Since she was just a little girl, Jessie Stone dreamed up hundreds of marriage proposals, doodled the romantic ideas in her journal with her treasured purple pen, and fantasized about wedding dresses and falling in love. She’s been a bridesmaid nearly a dozen times, waved numerous couples off to sunny honeymoons, and shopped in more department stores for half-price fondue pots than she cares to remember.

But shopping for one key component of these countless proposals hasn't been quite as productive–a future husband. The man she thought she would marry cheated on her. The crush she has on her best friend Blake is at very best…well, crushing. And speed dating has only churned out memorable horror stories.

So when God shows up one day, in the flesh, and becomes a walking, talking part of her life, Jessie is skeptical. What will it take to convince her that the Almighty has a better plan than one she’s already cooked up in her journals? Can she turn over her pen and trust someone else to craft a love story beyond her wildest dreams?

I wanted to like this book more than I did. Now don't get me wrong it was a book I enjoyed enough to read but there were parts of it that just didn't sit well with me. And I am a big fan of closure, I didn't get it with all the characters that became a part of 'my reading family' for a few days. I just feel a little let down when I finished the book. ( )
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
How did I end up with THIS book?? I read the back... the chick's been a bridesmaid a bunch of times and can't find Mr. Right... sounded up my alley.

Then God showed up. In the form of a hot guy.

Holy Hell. ( )
  TeenieLee | Apr 3, 2013 |
"I don't want to be that person...The one that hurts every time I see someone else get what I want." --Jessie Stone in Never the Bride
Ouch! If you've ever had a character echo thoughts from your own head you'll know how I felt when I read this book. I could certainly identify with her feelings and her obsession with marriage. After all our culture kind of sets women up to feel like that will be the moment in life when they have "arrived" and all of their dreams have come true.
So parts of this book were kind of eye opening for me, as I saw Jessie work through the pitfalls that her thinking about her single state were leading her into. Yet this book is not a purely serious read by any means, as the plot centers around Jessie's visions of God, who appears to her as a flesh and blood (and good looking) man who offers to write her love story for her. A lot of hilarity ensues as Jessie tries to follow his cues but ends up stumbling all over herself in the process.
My only criticism, and it was a big flaw in my opinion, is the ending. It felt like God was helping Jesse crawl out of the pit that her obsession with the "happy ever after" ending had put her into...but then things swing in another direction and all of that is put aside for the sake of a "happy ending".
Still, this a fun read, especially for single females or for those who love lighthearted "chick-lit" with characters who are on a faith journey. ( )
  debs4jc | Nov 14, 2012 |
Jessie Stone has been obsessed with marriage since the time she was seven. Her obsessive-compulsive tendencies paired with a high level of emotional neediness have combined to leave her single at the age of 35. She’s desperate and it shows. When God shows up in her life (quite literally) and asks her to surrender to Him she reluctantly follows while impatiently waiting for Him to write her love story.

Never the Bride was originally a screenplay by Cheryl McKay that has been novelized by Rene Gutteridge. A quick, funny read this work clearly falls within the chick-lit genre. There is dating, kissing, love-gone-wrong, angst etc. and in the midst of it all, a God who is trying to steer a stubborn woman into His will.

Even though Never the Bride was entertaining (I laughed out loud a few times) and delivered a message about God’s love for the church, I felt that Jessie didn’t grow a lot through her wrestling with God. Even up to the climax of the story she was throwing tantrums because she couldn’t have her own way. The only reason she seemed happy in the end was because God ‘delivered’, not because she truly learned to be content in His will for her life.

As a result I have mixed feelings about this book. Though fun to read it doesn’t really place a strong value on waiting on God (because the main character never achieves this), and seems to endorse a casual dating culture. God also behaves in some strange and even corny ways (I winced a few times). Never the Bride makes a good beach/bathtub read, but not much more.

Reviewed at quiverfullfamily.com ( )
1 vote jenniferbogart | May 1, 2011 |
I found this book very refreshing to read. It was light and funny and reminds you to have faith. I have always believed that things happen for a reason. ( )
  clowndust | Mar 30, 2010 |

“What girl can’t identify with Never the Bride? This is a fabulously funny novel with deep truths embedded in its pages.” –Kristin Billerbeck, author of What a Girl Wants

“I admire writers who employ words to paint touchable pictures, likable characters, introducing us to instant friends who lead us to unexpected endings. That’s why I love Never The Bride.” –SQuire Rushnell, author of the When GOD Winks books

Eleven Bridesmaid Dresses Don’t Lie

Since she was just a little girl, Jessie Stone dreamed up hundreds of marriage proposals, doodled the romantic ideas in her journal with her treasured purple pen, and fantasized about wedding dresses and falling in love.  She’s been a bridesmaid nearly a dozen times, waved numerous couples off to sunny honeymoons, and shopped in more department stores for half-price fondue pots than she cares to remember.

But shopping for one key component of these countless proposals hasn't been quite as productive–a future husband. The man she thought she would marry cheated on her.  The crush she has on her best friend Blake is at very best…well, crushing.  And speed dating has only churned out memorable horror stories.

So when God shows up one day, in the flesh, and becomes a walking, talking part of her life, Jessie is skeptical. What will it take to convince her that the Almighty has a better plan than one she’s already cooked up in her journals?  Can she turn over her pen and trust someone else to craft a love story beyond her wildest dreams?

Cheryl McKay
is the screenwriter for the award-winning film The Ultimate Gift. She also wrote an episode of Gigi: God’s Little Princess, based on the book by Sheila Walsh, and Taylor’s Wall, a drama about high-school violence. She’s been writing since the tender age of five when she penned her first play. Cheryl is originally from Boston, Massachusetts, and currently lives in Los Angeles.

Rene Gutteridge is a critically acclaimed comedy writer and novelist. She is the author of fifteen novels including the Boo series, My Life as a Doormat, the Occupational Hazards series, and the novelization of the motion picture The Ultimate Gift. She lives in Oklahoma with her family.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:41 -0400)

Jessie Stone has a plan for her life. She wants to fall in love and get married. Unfortunately her plan is not working. So when God shows up one day, in the flesh, Jessie is skeptical. What will it take to convince her that the Almighty has a better plan than one she's already cooked up in her journals? Can she turn over her pen and trust someone else to craft a love story beyond her wildest dreams?… (more)

69 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,020,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible