Pulse (Chess Team Adventure) by Jeremy…

Pulse (Chess Team Adventure) (edition 2009)

by Jeremy Robinson

Member:ragman
Title:Pulse (Chess Team Adventure)
Authors:Jeremy Robinson
Info:Thomas Dunne Books (2009), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages

Pulse (A Jack Sigler Thriller) by Jeremy Robinson

Deep in the jungles of Peru a discovery has been made that could change humanity forever: an ancient artifact buried under a Greek inscribed stone thought to be the key to eternal life. Richard Ridley, founder of Manifold Genetics, with dreams of unlocking this secret to create the ultimate weapon, steals the artifact and abducts archaeologist Dr. George Pierce. Enter US Special Forces Delta operative Jack "King" Sigler and his "Chess Team" - Queen, Knight, Rook and Bishop. They must save Pierce and stop Manifold before they change the face of genetics, and human history, forever.

Pulse is a military thriller/sci-fi/action novel. Think of it as a cross between Indiana Jones, Tom Clancy and B-movie science fiction. I liked the premise and the way he mixed mythology into the story. If you can get by some of the cheesy sci-fi parts, this was an action packed read that turned into quite a page turner at the end. ( )
  Narilka | Oct 1, 2012 |
I have been on my regular diet of cozies, UF and other paranormal, some suspense and wanted to change things up with a good thriller. And didn't I just with this one. Holey SCHMOKES!
Go along for the crazy wild ride with Jack 'King' Sigler and his special ops Chess Team as they try to intercept biogenetic engineers led by a ruthless amoral billionaire who is trying to find the path to immortality.
I figured I'd have to suspend belief, but when a well written story slams like this I can believe in mythic beasts.
Definitely going to read more adventures of the Chess Team! ( )
  Squeex | Aug 30, 2012 |
Hmmm... did I like it? Overall, yes. Did I roll my eyes? You betcha.

It is mostly action-packed forward momentum but sometimes Robinson got a bit caught up in the fight scenes and they dragged on a bit too long - stopped being entertaining and started being more of the same - can we get on with the story now please?

There are a lot of characters but I'm not really sure they are much different from each other, well, other than in their physical descriptions. So similar in fact that there are numerous occasions where the author switched from one character's point of view to another's and it'll take you a sentence or two to even notice.

It's not really science fiction, though it contains lots of fictional science... well, at least we should hope it's fictional science. It's sorta like "James Bond (divided into 5) takes on the Monster (and the Man behind it)" It's entertaining and fast and you won't have to think too much, though there is some conspiracy-theory stuff going on as well...

I see there are other books in this series but... I don't know that they are very high up on my to-read list. If they were cheap and I was bored, I'd read another but, otherwise, I'd spend my time elsewhere.

In case you're looking for some similar books, you could try The Artifact (Astre) and Relic (Preston/Child). ( )
  crazybatcow | Feb 1, 2012 |
Jeremy Robinson's Special Ops Chess Team and their adventures are a thrill a page ride & read! Jack Siegler "King" goes to help a good friend and ends up uncovering a Corporation bent on discovering immortality and regenerative abilities no matter the cost to life and sell-able to whomever no matter their morality. ( )
  SuseGordon | Apr 14, 2011 |
Todd Maddox, was hired by Richard Ridley to work in his company, Manifold. Manifold made advancements in genetics and biopharmaceuticals. Their research was regeneration of human limbs. With trial and error and DNA from an unusual creature, they wanted a serum to give people to regenerate severed limbs. Ridley had his own motive for the serum, he wanted to live forever.
Mr. Robinson always comes up with interesting plots that makes you want to keep reading. In this story is the rich bad guy, with more money than brains. He'll stop at nothing to get what he wants. The good guys are the special op group, the chess team run by "Deep Blue". Of course there's lots of action and an unusual creature to round out the story. Good Read! ( )
  bratlaw | Mar 22, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312381530, Mass Market Paperback)

Imagine a world where soldiers regenerate and continue fighting without pause, and where suicide bombers live to strike again. This is the dream of Richard Ridley, founder of Manifold Genetics, and he has discovered the key to eternal life: an ancient artifact buried beneath a Greek inscribed stone in the Peruvian desert.

When Manifold steals the artifact and abducts archaeologist Dr. George Pierce, the United States Special Forces Delta operative, Jack Sigler, callsign King, and his “Chess Team”—Queen, Knight, Rook, Bishop and their handler, Deep Blue—give chase. They must save Pierce and stop Manifold before they change the face of genetics—and human history—forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:27 -0400)

Buried in the Peruvian desert lies a legendary relic which may hold the key to life itself. By extracting its DNA, a genetic terrorist hopes to bio-engineer the ultimate weapon--an army of soldiers who regenerate and continue fighting without stopping. Special Forces commander Sigler and his "Chess Team" of highly trained operators must intercept the terrorists and stop the unstoppable. But even the chess Team is no match for a legend that refuses to die...and an enemy that can't be killed.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,668,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible