Pulse (Chess Team Adventure) by Jeremy…

Pulse (Chess Team Adventure) (edition 2009)

by Jeremy Robinson

Member:ragman
Title:Pulse (Chess Team Adventure)
Authors:Jeremy Robinson
Info:Thomas Dunne Books (2009), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages

Pulse by Jeremy Robinson

Pulse by Jeremy Robinson is a combination thriller/action/adventure/science fiction novel and the first novel of Robinson's Chess Team series. The Chess Team is an elite Delta Force unit, led by handler Deep Blue, whose members each use a chess piece as their call sign - King, Queen, Bishop, Knight, Rook. This was pure action-packed entertainment.

In this debut outing, the Chess Team are called in to try to save Dr. George Pierce, who was taken hostage in Peru by forces for Richard Ridley, the head of Manifold, a genetics company. Ridley was after the legendary head of the Hydra. He plans to use Hydra DNA to create a serum that will make people immortal. Previous attempts at this have created "regens," people who can re-grow damaged body parts but who are also insane killers (like zombies, only healthy and fast).

Robinson's writing style is easy to follow and the plot guarantees it will be a page-turner. The chapters switch between the activities of various Chess Team members. In Pulse expect lots of adrenalin-packed action, including fighting. Although some things weren't quite fully explained, this is the kind of novel most readers will expect to suspend disbelief and take a few leaps of faith while reading.

Robinson had some pretty funny similes too, which I quite enjoyed. A few examples include:
"like a special ops whack-a-mole" (pg. 270)
"like a twisted game of hungry, hungry hippos" (pg. 294)
"like Axel Rose squealing on a scratched Guns N' Roses CD" (pg. 296)

Previously, I really enjoyed Robinson's Antarktos Rising, so I was looking forward to reading another one of his novels. Pulse did not disappoint me. It's great escapism. It's good to know that there are currently two more books in the series, Instinct and Threshold.
very highly recommended - for action junkies and fans of James Rollins; http://shetreadssoftly.blogspot.com/

Quotes:

Hundreds of feet pounded the dry soil, filling the air with the ominous sound of soldiers on the march. But these were not soldiers. They were followers, worshippers of the man whose strange ship had landed on the lush Peruvian shore only a week before, the man who now led them on a trek away from heir fertile homeland and across the arid, lifeless Nazca plains. opening

The big man smiled without a hint of malice for the first time. "The fountain of youth isn’t some waterfall out here in the jungle, Maddox," he said, then pointed at his chest. "I want to live forever, and the key to that treasure is locked away inside our DNA. In our genetics. And in our past." pg. 15

"The description of the creature in this purely historical text is nearly identical to the mythological description. Perhaps the feats of Hercules have been exaggerated through time and legend, but the details of the beast were so fantastic to begin with that no one in the past twenty- five hundred years felt the need to exaggerate its appearance or abilities. Because of this I am compelled to believe that many of the other aspects of the story are also real. Based on the details of the myth, finding the creature’s burial place may be possible. If the creature has been well preserved, recovering its DNA would change everything we know about physical regeneration. Mr. Maddox, we must find the Beast of Lerna’s final resting place and extract its DNA. The prize is eternal life."
"Lerna . . ." Maddox leaned forward, his eyes wide with realization. "My God. You’re talking about the Hydra." pg. 17 ( )
  SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |
This was only my second Jeremy Robinson book and it was much better than "Kronos," fortunately.

Up until about 3/4 of the way through, "Pulse" reminded me quite a bit of a Michael Crichton novel (very high praise, indeed). But once a main event happened, it did feel a bit less so. Still, the idea of regeneration being used for soldiers was a pretty cool one.

Here, The Chess Team, a US special ops group, is called to stop a genetics company from perfecting the art of regeneration before the process can be sold to rouge nations and entities. There's some pretty great action sequences (ala Matthew Reilly) and technology (again, ala Crichton). I hope other Chess Team adventures are as good and that "Kronos" was an aberration. ( )
  Jarratt | Oct 19, 2015 |
Deep in the jungles of Peru a discovery has been made that could change humanity forever: an ancient artifact buried under a Greek inscribed stone thought to be the key to eternal life. Richard Ridley, founder of Manifold Genetics, with dreams of unlocking this secret to create the ultimate weapon, steals the artifact and abducts archaeologist Dr. George Pierce. Enter US Special Forces Delta operative Jack "King" Sigler and his "Chess Team" - Queen, Knight, Rook and Bishop. They must save Pierce and stop Manifold before they change the face of genetics, and human history, forever.

Pulse is a military thriller/sci-fi/action novel. Think of it as a cross between Indiana Jones, Tom Clancy and B-movie science fiction. I liked the premise and the way he mixed mythology into the story. If you can get by some of the cheesy sci-fi parts, this was an action packed read that turned into quite a page turner at the end. ( )
  Narilka | Oct 1, 2012 |
I have been on my regular diet of cozies, UF and other paranormal, some suspense and wanted to change things up with a good thriller. And didn't I just with this one. Holey SCHMOKES!
Go along for the crazy wild ride with Jack 'King' Sigler and his special ops Chess Team as they try to intercept biogenetic engineers led by a ruthless amoral billionaire who is trying to find the path to immortality.
I figured I'd have to suspend belief, but when a well written story slams like this I can believe in mythic beasts.
Definitely going to read more adventures of the Chess Team! ( )
  Squeex | Aug 30, 2012 |
Hmmm... did I like it? Overall, yes. Did I roll my eyes? You betcha.

It is mostly action-packed forward momentum but sometimes Robinson got a bit caught up in the fight scenes and they dragged on a bit too long - stopped being entertaining and started being more of the same - can we get on with the story now please?

There are a lot of characters but I'm not really sure they are much different from each other, well, other than in their physical descriptions. So similar in fact that there are numerous occasions where the author switched from one character's point of view to another's and it'll take you a sentence or two to even notice.

It's not really science fiction, though it contains lots of fictional science... well, at least we should hope it's fictional science. It's sorta like "James Bond (divided into 5) takes on the Monster (and the Man behind it)" It's entertaining and fast and you won't have to think too much, though there is some conspiracy-theory stuff going on as well...

I see there are other books in this series but... I don't know that they are very high up on my to-read list. If they were cheap and I was bored, I'd read another but, otherwise, I'd spend my time elsewhere.

In case you're looking for some similar books, you could try The Artifact (Astre) and Relic (Preston/Child). ( )
  crazybatcow | Feb 1, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312381530, Mass Market Paperback)

Imagine a world where soldiers regenerate and continue fighting without pause, and where suicide bombers live to strike again. This is the dream of Richard Ridley, founder of Manifold Genetics, and he has discovered the key to eternal life: an ancient artifact buried beneath a Greek inscribed stone in the Peruvian desert.

When Manifold steals the artifact and abducts archaeologist Dr. George Pierce, the United States Special Forces Delta operative, Jack Sigler, callsign King, and his “Chess Team”—Queen, Knight, Rook, Bishop and their handler, Deep Blue—give chase. They must save Pierce and stop Manifold before they change the face of genetics—and human history—forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:17 -0400)

Richard Ridley, with dreams of world conquest, has discovered an ancient genetic blueprint for Hydra, a creature that can eternally regenerate, while Special Forces try to stop him before he changes human genetics forever.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,620,005 books! | Top bar: Always visible