Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty

Not as good as the first, but still a fun read. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
Originally read in September 2010. I love when the second book is as good as the first. I love how Jessica is exploring new options with her life and future - it makes me so excited you'd think it was my own life! The writing style is still incredibly honest and raw and wonderful. It really captures the end of high school, with all the changes, everything you're experiencing "for the last time" and leaving behind, all the possibilities that are waiting for you. I definitely shed a few tears towards the end of this book. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Not as good as the first one in the series (typical, right?). I also found the language to be more distracting in this book than the previous. It moved rather quickly through the protagonist's senior year and characters that were quirky in the first book were largely annoying here. Still, it was a fun, easy read for the most part. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
"Second Helpings" is a very successful, very highly rated, so-so book. Written in 2003, it's the second in a five book series starring Jessica Darling; in this one she's a high school senior, focused on ridding herself of a horrible teenage malady. No not zits, not baby fat, not poor grades - but virginity. Sex is every student's past time at Pineville High. Everyone is doing it. The moral issue here is not whether or not one should have sex, but not to have it too much, nor with too many people. That would be in violation of an unwritten student code. The punishment - being labeled a slut, or skank, or pervert in the case of boys. In the spirit of full disclosure I admit to being a grandfather, and obviously things have changed a bit since I went to high school. I know the statistics though, and the numbers say this book is beyond reality. That or seemingly 90+% of kids are doing the nasty regularly in mid New Jersey. Strangely, there is very little attention in "Second Helpings" paid to booze and drugs. Of course it pops up here and there, but in this regard it appears the author has swung the other way, maybe to 'protect' her characters. The message seems to be sex is OK, it's the most popular sport at PHS. There are no abortions, pregnancies, STD's , AIDS/HIV.....

The characters were OK, but it was sometimes difficult to keep them straight. The differentiators were mostly physical appearance, whom they were "dating", and whether they were nice or mean. The plot was OK, the main point of tension was whether or not Jess and her not-so-secret love would ever get together. But this is one of those typical romance series entries that finally has a happy ending of sorts, then there are clouds on the horizon on the last pages to get you to read book number next. Jessica's parents are dopes, of course, but there is a lame attempt to make Dad real with a poignant scene toward the end. The prose is good, the author seems to know how some teenage minds think, but bottomline, these kids are focused mostly on popularity, and they come across as very shallow. There are funny moments and some insightful ones. There are also lists, lists, lists. Some were clever, but after a while they also got boring and way overdone. Jessica is very much a me, me, me - and it got tiring.

Most of my reading is adult fiction and history but I also read a bit of other genres, e.g. science fiction, YA. I haven't read much YA but I know there are other books out there that are a lot more real than this; "Eleanor and Park" comes to mind as one example. "Second Helpings" is ok as escapist, fantasy reading but I think the reader must be mature enough to understand that. I wouldn't want my freshman grandson reading it. ( )
  maneekuhi | Nov 17, 2014 |
Book 2: much like the first, in a good way!
  terriko | Jan 7, 2014 |

“Knowing that I’ve just done something that will take decades off my parents’ lives with worry, you’ll excuse me for not getting into the fa-la-la-la-la Yuletide spirit this year. . . . The only difference between Christmas 2001 and Christmas 2000 is that I don’t have a visit from Hope to look forward to. And Bethany has already packed on some major fetal flab. Oh, and now Gladdie doesn’t need to ask a bizillion questions about my boyfriend, because she’s already gotten the dirt from you know who.”

Jessica Darling is up in arms again in this much-anticipated, hilarious sequel to Sloppy Firsts. This time, the hyperobservant, angst-ridden teenager is going through the social and emotional ordeal of her senior year at Pineville High. Not only does the mysterious and oh-so-compelling Marcus Flutie continue to distract Jessica, but her best friend, Hope, still lives in another state, and she can’t seem to escape the clutches of the Clueless Crew, her annoying so-called friends. To top it off, Jessica’s parents won’t get off her butt about choosing a college, and her sister Bethany’s pregnancy is causing a big stir in the Darling household.

With keen intelligence, sardonic wit, and ingenious comedic timing, Megan McCafferty again re-creates the tumultuous world of today’s fast-moving and sophisticated teens. Fans of Sloppy Firsts will be reunited with their favorite characters and also introduced to the fresh new faces that have entered Jess’s life, including the hot creative writing teacher at her summer college prep program and her feisty, tell-it-like-it-is grandmother Gladdie. But most of all, readers will finally have the answers to all of their burgeoning questions, and then some: Will Jessica crack under the pressure of senioritis? Will her unresolved feelings for Marcus wreak havoc on her love life? Will Hope ever come back to Pineville? Fall in love with saucy, irreverent Jessica all over again in this wonderful sequel to a book that critics and readers alike hailed as the best high school novel in years.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:37 -0400)

Jessica Darling is up in arms again in this much-anticipated, hilarious sequel to "Sloppy First." This time, the hyperobservant, angst-ridden teenager is going through the social and emotional ordeal of her senior year at Pineville High. Not only does the mysterious and oh-so-compelling Marcus Flutie continue to distract Jessica, but her best friend, Hope, still lives in anther state, and she can't seem to escape the clutches of the Clueless Crew, her annoying so-called friends. To top it off, Jessica's parents won't get off her butt about choosing a college, and her sister Bethany's pregnancy is causing a big stir in the Darling household.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,194,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible