Julie Andrews' Collection of Poems,…

Julie Andrews' Collection of Poems, Songs, and Lullabies

by Julie Andrews (Editor), Emma Walton Hamilton (Editor), James McMullan (Illustrator)

This is an anthology of "poems for children," and I distinguish that from "children's poems." These are not nursery rhymes but include adult works by poets like Wordsworth, though they are poems that should be child-readable at the middle-grade level.

My problem is that this anthology contains wa-a-a-ay too many poems by Julie Andrews and by her co-editor/daughter, Emma Walton Hamilton, as well as too many Broadway lyrics. As such, it verges on editorial narcissism.

One nice accompanying touch for classroom use is a CD, which might catch some children's interest, though I can't vouch for that since I haven't listened to it, preferring to keep it intact in its seal to pass the book on to a sixth-grade teacher at my church. If it weren't for the accompanying CD, I'd have rated this book lower, probably 2**.

If you're looking for one, single general anthology of "poems for children," go with Caroline Kennedy's superb A Family of Poems, which is also graced with far superior and more maturely drawn color illustrations than the ones in this Julie Andrews anthology. As I recall, the Kennedy anthology does not include a CD, but its overall quality otherwise approaches perfection and it includes some more mature (but still child-readable) poems that will give it a broader appeal across age groups. ( )
  CurrerBell | Oct 12, 2012 |
I absolutely love this collection of poems. They flow off the tongue, some are silly, some are beautiful and they are categorized so you can pick what kind of mood you are in. I've spent a lot of time in the bedtime poems as I read them aloud to the second grader I nanny for.
  Mollyphillips | May 30, 2011 |

Andrews, JulieEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hamilton, Emma WaltonEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
McMullan, JamesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

In this comprehensive collection, coauthors Julie Andrews and daughter Emma Walton Hamilton share a diverse assortment of their most cherished poems, songs, lullabies, hymns, and more.

Featuring a wide range of beloved classics from William Shakespeare, Emily Dickenson, and Robert Frost to playful poems by Jack Prelutsky and Shel Silverstein, this is the perfect collection for families to share throughout the years. Julie and Emma additionally contribute a number of their own poems and reveal the stories behind some of their family favorites. James McMullan's stunning watercolor paintings bring each page to glorious life with his spectacular vision and artistic point of view.

The Collection, now featuring a brand-new cover design, is packaged with a special CD featuring mother and daughter alternately recording twenty-one poems, some of which are recited together. This special keepsake anthology is one that readers of all ages will return to and treasure.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:17 -0400)

"Julie Andrews and her daughter, Emma Walton Hamilton, have hand-selected a wonderful mix of their most cherished poems, songs, and lullabies in this rich and diverse poetry collection."--Amazon.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,720,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible