A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks

A Walk to Remember (1999)

by Nicholas Sparks (Author)

English (120)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (122)
This is by far my favorite book. This book is about a young girl who has cancer but doesn't want anybody to know. She likes this boy named Landon but he doesn't give her the time in day. Landon gets in trouble with school and must participate in a school play. Jamie was the main character and these two had to work together. Landon starts to fall in love with Jamie, but she told him he must not because of her being sick. It's a great book for young children to read because you never want to take life for granted. ( )
  emilyann93 | Dec 2, 2014 |
I have read all Sparks books and love them. This one was sad, but good and also saw the movie.

Every April, when the wind blows from the sea and mingles with the scent of lilacs, Landon Carter remembers his last year at Beaufort High. It was 1958, and Landon had already dated a girl or two. He even swore that he had once been in love. Certainly the last person in town he thought he’d fall for was Jamie Sullivan, the daughter of the town’s Baptist minister. ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
You know how when you read a book and at some point in the book you get to the point that tells you how the book got it's title? Well, that is the part I remember the most about this book. I saw the movie, and adore it of course, but this book is very far from the movie. I would have loved to see the actual book like the movie. The main difference to both is the time period, this book is set 1958, which I love to read about, so it would have made the movie entirely different.

I do have to say the book was short, well written, and interesting. But, I just didn't like it. I don't know if I prejudice from seeing the movie but I didn't find it nearly as moving as the movie was save, the one part where it talks about the title. I will remember that part forever. This is one of those books you have to decide for yourself to read or not. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
With Nicholas Sparks you can count on two things, great writing and loads of drama! His books are an emotional roller-coaster that rarely end with a happy ever after! They are draining in a good way! very cathartic! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
this is the third nicholas sparks books i've read in this summer and let me say, it was the best so far. but two stars ain't sayin much ( )
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |

Sparks, NicholasAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bouchareine, ChristineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Honkasaari, LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Petrelli, AlessandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I was seventeen, my life changed forever.

What a valuable lesson this novel serves to teach. Those who may be different from us, status or otherwise, can be the most wonderful people to know.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446693804, Paperback)

In the prologue to his latest novel, Nicholas Sparks makes the rather presumptuous pledge "first you will smile, and then you will cry," but sure enough, he delivers the goods. With his calculated ability to throw your heart around like a yo-yo (try out his earlier Message in the Bottle or The Notebook if you really want to stick it to yourself), Sparks pulls us back to the perfect innocence of a first love.

In 1958 Landon Carter is a shallow but well-meaning teenager who spends most of his time hanging out with his friends and trying hard to ignore the impending responsibilities of adulthood. Then Landon gets roped into acting the lead in the Christmas play opposite the most renowned goody two-shoes in town: Jamie Sullivan. Against his best intentions and the taunts of his buddies, Landon finds himself falling for Jamie and learning some central lessons in life.

Like John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany, Sparks maintains a delicate and rarely seen balance of humor and sentiment. While the plot may not be the most original, this boy-makes-good tearjerker will certainly reel in the fans. Look for a movie starring beautiful people or, better yet, snuggle under the covers with your tissues nearby and let your inner sap run wild. --Nancy R.E. O'Brien

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:27 -0400)

Every April, when the wind smells of both the sea and lilacs, Landon Carter remembers 1958, his last year at Beaufort High. Landon had dated a girl or two, and even once sworn that he'd been in love. Certainly the last person he thought he'd fall for was Jamie Sullivan, the shy, almost ethereal daughter of the town's Baptist minister ... Jamie, who was destined to show him the depths of the human heart--and the joy and pain of living.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,339,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible