A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks

A Walk to Remember (original 1999; edition 2004)

by Nicholas Sparks

Member:Kiki5211
Title:A Walk to Remember
Authors:Nicholas Sparks
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Romance, Drama

A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks (Author) (1999)

English (134)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (136)
Whatever anyone may say about Nicholas Sparks, he is a good storyteller, even if he does have a bad habit of killing off the favorite characters. I started reading this book a bit half-heartedly; I've already read the book before and I've seen the movie, so I was basically just trying to pass the time. But I was drawn in right from the beginning. The book wasn't really plot driven, but because of the way Landon narrated I wanted to keep reading. I wanted to know Jamie's secret and I wanted to know why Landon's life changed when he was 17 years old. One chain of events lead smoothly to another, and before I knew it, I had finished the book.

This book is a pretty good outline of what teenagers should strive to be like. If all guys were to treat their girlfriends the way Landon treated Jamie, and if all girls sought for their inner beauty like Jamie did, we would all be a lot better off. Their relationship isn't a perfect model—there is no such thing—but a relationship based on true, selfless love is something we all want to have; these two teenagers did a pretty good job portraying it.

So while the romance is a big factor of this book, I think that faith plays a greater role. We all know people like Jamie, those people who always seem to know "God's plan" and who are always at peace with their lives. And like Landon, most of us have a hard time understanding people like Jamie. But it's kind of hard to just dismiss that kind of trust. Eventually, it starts to affect you, just like it affected Landon. The last words of the novel didn't speak of Jamie's faith, but Landon's newfound belief in miracles, despite all the things he went through when he was 17. I think there is a valuable lesson in that. Miracles abound wherever we go, and even if we don't understand it, God has a plan for all of us. The miracle is that we can find a way to accept what he has in store for us. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 3, 2016 |
This is the first Nicolas Sparks book that I have read and I found it to be absolutely wonderful. This book made me want to read more of his work. The way the main character, Landon, grows up in this book is and always will be memorable to me. I think it was a wonderful way of showing the good in people. This heartwarming book will have you feeling good and sad all at the same time. ( )
  AlexisLovesBooks | Jan 26, 2016 |
I read ‘A Walk to Remember’ after a family discussion regarding which was better the movie or the book. I loved the movie and enjoyed the book. While both featured the same characters and similarities in story lines, both the movie and the book were different. My preference is the movie. I have watched and enjoyed it several times and I will, more than likely, watch it again. However, the same cannot be said of the book. ( )
  DCarlin | Jan 23, 2016 |
5 Stars. I realized part-way through that I had seen the movie a long time ago. Thankfully it didn't take anything away from the book. Even though I knew the plot, I just loved it and still cried like a baby. It was just amazing. What a great story and it was a nice time of the year to read it. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
You know how when you read a book and at some point in the book you get to the point that tells you how the book got it's title? Well, that is the part I remember the most about this book. I saw the movie, and adore it of course, but this book is very far from the movie. I would have loved to see the actual book like the movie. The main difference to both is the time period, this book is set 1958, which I love to read about, so it would have made the movie entirely different.

I do have to say the book was short, well written, and interesting. But, I just didn't like it. I don't know if I prejudice from seeing the movie but I didn't find it nearly as moving as the movie was save, the one part where it talks about the title. I will remember that part forever. This is one of those books you have to decide for yourself to read or not. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |

Sparks, NicholasAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bouchareine, ChristineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Honkasaari, LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Petrelli, AlessandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I was seventeen, my life changed forever.

What a valuable lesson this novel serves to teach. Those who may be different from us, status or otherwise, can be the most wonderful people to know.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446693804, Paperback)

In the prologue to his latest novel, Nicholas Sparks makes the rather presumptuous pledge "first you will smile, and then you will cry," but sure enough, he delivers the goods. With his calculated ability to throw your heart around like a yo-yo (try out his earlier Message in the Bottle or The Notebook if you really want to stick it to yourself), Sparks pulls us back to the perfect innocence of a first love.

In 1958 Landon Carter is a shallow but well-meaning teenager who spends most of his time hanging out with his friends and trying hard to ignore the impending responsibilities of adulthood. Then Landon gets roped into acting the lead in the Christmas play opposite the most renowned goody two-shoes in town: Jamie Sullivan. Against his best intentions and the taunts of his buddies, Landon finds himself falling for Jamie and learning some central lessons in life.

Like John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany, Sparks maintains a delicate and rarely seen balance of humor and sentiment. While the plot may not be the most original, this boy-makes-good tearjerker will certainly reel in the fans. Look for a movie starring beautiful people or, better yet, snuggle under the covers with your tissues nearby and let your inner sap run wild. --Nancy R.E. O'Brien

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:06 -0400)

Every April, when the wind smells of both the sea and lilacs, Landon Carter remembers 1958, his last year at Beaufort High. Landon had dated a girl or two, and even once sworn that he'd been in love. Certainly the last person he thought he'd fall for was Jamie Sullivan, the shy, almost ethereal daughter of the town's Baptist minister ... Jamie, who was destined to show him the depths of the human heart--and the joy and pain of living.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,254,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible