A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks

A Walk to Remember (original 1999; edition 2004)

by Nicholas Sparks

Member:Kiki5211
Title:A Walk to Remember
Authors:Nicholas Sparks
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Romance, Drama

A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks (1999)

Recently added bycebellol, KyleRapp, private library, MadelineM, MomsterBookworm, Onamisse, AIndoria
adult (15) Adult Fiction (14) cancer (44) chick lit (44) contemporary (13) death (59) drama (28) ebook (12) fiction (410) hardcover (11) high school (20) leukemia (25) love (68) love story (54) made into movie (24) marriage (13) movie (44) Nicholas Sparks (44) North Carolina (26) novel (42) own (35) read (83) religion (12) romance (333) Sparks (16) tearjerker (14) teen (15) to-read (67) YA (14) young adult (20)

English (113)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (115)
I was never the biggest Sparks fan, but after he came to my school to speak a few months ago I learned something very interesting. All of his stories have some base in truth. My roommate told me that this particular story is based, roughly, off of his sister. After hearing that, I couldn't help but read it. It had been one of my favorite movies when I was younger, and I figured the book had to be at least half as good. Normally I'd say the book had to be better, but considering it's a love story, I didn't want to push it.

It didn't blow me away, but it was definitely good. I'm not sure it was as good as or better than the movie, but it was better than I was expecting. Although the core principles of Jamie were the same as in the movie, her personality and actions were a touch different, making the character slightly less relate able in the print version. Jamie was a bible-thumper in this story. I know she was in the movie too, but the movie, I think, made her character a little more... complex? I'm not sure how to describe it. There was much more to her, but at the same time there wasn't. She was into literature and astronomy and SO many things. She had a bucket list that Landon helped her go through and check off. In the book though, there was none of that. She had her bible and her charity work and that was basically it.

I DID like the book's description of Landon better than the portrayal of him in the movie though. Here, he actually seemed like a relatively decent guy before meeting Jamie, and his time with her only made him a better person. In the movie, he was a bit of a jerk and then magically became this great guy. I think the book's version is more realistic and makes his character more likeable. It also makes it a bit more feasible that he and Jamie would end up together. Maybe it's just me, but that's what it felt like.

I would definitely recommend this book, whether you've seen the movie or not. It's a beautiful story that will tug at your heart a little. Also, for the record, this is the first time I've preferred the movie to the book. There are several movies i won't watch or re-watch because of the atrocities they committed to the story.
  cebellol | Jul 22, 2014 |
This book was great, and was my very first read from Nicholas Sparks. I will so be reading all his other books! The book was good, but I like the movie better. ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
Every April, Landon Carter remembers his last year at Beaufort High. It was 1958, and Landon had already dated a girl or two. He even swore that he had once been in love. The last person in town he thought he'd fall for was Jamie Sullivan, the daughter of the town's Baptist minister. She was a quiet girl who always carried a Bible with her schoolbooks. Jamie seemed like she was living in a world apart from the other teens. She took care of her widowed father, rescued hurt animals, and helped out at the local orphanage. No boy had ever asked her out. Landon would never have dreamed of it. Then a twist of fate made Jamie, Landon's partner for the homecoming dance, and Landon Carter's life would never be the same.
I loved this book and have also seen the movie and they are both wonderful. I just wish that I could read this book over and over again. ( )
  HannahK.B1 | May 29, 2014 |
This book is an incredibly heartfelt, uplifting story about two teenagers who find themselves through each other and ultimately learn that not everything or everyone is what they seem. I'm not a huge fan of Nicholas Sparks, but this book has been one of my favorites since I first read it when I was in high school. I related to Jamie in so many ways, being quiet myself and definitely mistrusting of people who mistreated others. But there were also aspects of Landon’s personality that I related to that gave this story an even better edge for me in a later reading. Better still, now that my mother has recovered from cancer, I can understand Jamie’s father’s fierce reaction to wanting to protect his daughter, and his fear of losing someone he loved so very much, especially after the early death of his wife. I cannot say enough about how much I enjoyed this book, rereading it again years later. There are little nuances to be discovered every time you read this novel, things the characters say or do that you maybe overlook the first time you read it, and I can honestly say that the story never gets old, and that I cry every single time I read it. This novel gives you everything you could ask for in a book - romance, redemption, renewal; you laugh, you cry and even though you may not be happy with the outcome of the story, you feel fulfilled and satisfied nonetheless. I think Sparks hit a home run with this novel, and it's one I've recommended many, many times to friends and loved ones. ( )
  morgtini | Apr 12, 2014 |
Not as filling or intense as a multicourse dinner with dessert, but satisfying in its own way, like snacking on a cup of yogurt.

Really, I needed something short and sweet in the midst of my heavier (or darker) reading and editing material. I had a keener reaction to the movie than to the book, likely because I saw the movie first, which I enjoyed. The book was nice all the way through, but it didn't affect me much until Jamie finally made her fateful admission to Landon. Not a spectacular work of English, and I didn't shed any tears, but I did smile at some parts, and I think the book did what it had to do.

Again, short and sweet. My first literary spin with Sparks--I wouldn't mind taking another. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Apr 10, 2014 |
When I was seventeen, my life changed forever.

What a valuable lesson this novel serves to teach. Those who may be different from us, status or otherwise, can be the most wonderful people to know.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446693804, Paperback)

In the prologue to his latest novel, Nicholas Sparks makes the rather presumptuous pledge "first you will smile, and then you will cry," but sure enough, he delivers the goods. With his calculated ability to throw your heart around like a yo-yo (try out his earlier Message in the Bottle or The Notebook if you really want to stick it to yourself), Sparks pulls us back to the perfect innocence of a first love.

In 1958 Landon Carter is a shallow but well-meaning teenager who spends most of his time hanging out with his friends and trying hard to ignore the impending responsibilities of adulthood. Then Landon gets roped into acting the lead in the Christmas play opposite the most renowned goody two-shoes in town: Jamie Sullivan. Against his best intentions and the taunts of his buddies, Landon finds himself falling for Jamie and learning some central lessons in life.

Like John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany, Sparks maintains a delicate and rarely seen balance of humor and sentiment. While the plot may not be the most original, this boy-makes-good tearjerker will certainly reel in the fans. Look for a movie starring beautiful people or, better yet, snuggle under the covers with your tissues nearby and let your inner sap run wild. --Nancy R.E. O'Brien

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:27 -0400)

Every April, when the wind smells of both the sea and lilacs, Landon Carter remembers 1958, his last year at Beaufort High. Landon had dated a girl or two, and even once sworn that he'd been in love. Certainly the last person he thought he'd fall for was Jamie Sullivan, the shy, almost ethereal daughter of the town's Baptist minister ... Jamie, who was destined to show him the depths of the human heart--and the joy and pain of living.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,488,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible