A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks

A Walk to Remember (original 1999; edition 2004)

by Nicholas Sparks

Title:A Walk to Remember
Authors:Nicholas Sparks
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:Fiction, Romance, Drama

A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks (Author) (1999)

English (130)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (132)
You know how when you read a book and at some point in the book you get to the point that tells you how the book got it's title? Well, that is the part I remember the most about this book. I saw the movie, and adore it of course, but this book is very far from the movie. I would have loved to see the actual book like the movie. The main difference to both is the time period, this book is set 1958, which I love to read about, so it would have made the movie entirely different.

I do have to say the book was short, well written, and interesting. But, I just didn't like it. I don't know if I prejudice from seeing the movie but I didn't find it nearly as moving as the movie was save, the one part where it talks about the title. I will remember that part forever. This is one of those books you have to decide for yourself to read or not. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
A very blunt and honest book. It starts off in a matter-of-fact, believable way, then slowly deteriorates into a sappy climax. Though realistic, it's too observational, like relating a story secondhand with very little insight into our characters' souls or inner thoughts. Because [a:Nicholas Sparks|2345|Nicholas Sparks|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1332884095p2/2345.jpg] based the novel on his sister, it punches you with simple true reactions, giving this novel its power. What he lacks in writing ability, he makes up for in humor and frankness. ( )
  Victor_A_Davis | Sep 18, 2015 |
It was really great..
first novel I've read in less than a day..
that was really great!

:)Nicholas Sparks is truly a remarkable author! ( )
  smiley0905 | Sep 3, 2015 |
Far Better than the movie! ( )
  bookandink | Aug 19, 2015 |
I don’t normally watch a movie until I’ve read the book, but it does happen once in a while. This was one of those times. I was surprised that I enjoyed the movie since it’s not usually the type of movie I like. However, I did like it, so I’ve been wanting to read the book ever since.

I’ve finally read it and I have to say that I was disappointed. This might be the first time I’ve liked a movie more than the book. Don’t get me wrong, I did like the book. It was a good read. I gave it three stars because I liked it, but It did almost got two stars. A Walk to Remember is sort of between two stars and three. I thought it was more than just okay, but I didn’t like it as much as the books I normally give three stars to. This is one of those times I wish I did half stars. Three stars seems to be normal for his books. This was my third one and they all seem to get three stars. I like them, but I don’t love them. They are good, but kind of forgettable.

I will continue to read more by Nicholas Sparks, but I will be getting his books from the library. I can’t see myself buying this book or any of his others, unless I find them super cheap. I also wont be reading them that often.

Note: This is an older review. So I don’t feel like I can get more into what I liked and disliked about it. Maybe someday I will re-read A Walk to Remember and do another review. Better reviews (hopefully) in the future. ( )
  TheBookHoarder | Jun 21, 2015 |

Sparks, NicholasAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bouchareine, ChristineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Honkasaari, LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Petrelli, AlessandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I was seventeen, my life changed forever.

What a valuable lesson this novel serves to teach. Those who may be different from us, status or otherwise, can be the most wonderful people to know.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446693804, Paperback)

In the prologue to his latest novel, Nicholas Sparks makes the rather presumptuous pledge "first you will smile, and then you will cry," but sure enough, he delivers the goods. With his calculated ability to throw your heart around like a yo-yo (try out his earlier Message in the Bottle or The Notebook if you really want to stick it to yourself), Sparks pulls us back to the perfect innocence of a first love.

In 1958 Landon Carter is a shallow but well-meaning teenager who spends most of his time hanging out with his friends and trying hard to ignore the impending responsibilities of adulthood. Then Landon gets roped into acting the lead in the Christmas play opposite the most renowned goody two-shoes in town: Jamie Sullivan. Against his best intentions and the taunts of his buddies, Landon finds himself falling for Jamie and learning some central lessons in life.

Like John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany, Sparks maintains a delicate and rarely seen balance of humor and sentiment. While the plot may not be the most original, this boy-makes-good tearjerker will certainly reel in the fans. Look for a movie starring beautiful people or, better yet, snuggle under the covers with your tissues nearby and let your inner sap run wild. --Nancy R.E. O'Brien

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:06 -0400)

Every April, when the wind smells of both the sea and lilacs, Landon Carter remembers 1958, his last year at Beaufort High. Landon had dated a girl or two, and even once sworn that he'd been in love. Certainly the last person he thought he'd fall for was Jamie Sullivan, the shy, almost ethereal daughter of the town's Baptist minister ... Jamie, who was destined to show him the depths of the human heart--and the joy and pain of living.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,950,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible