A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks

A Walk to Remember (original 1999; edition 2004)

by Nicholas Sparks

6,189None652 (3.89)31
Member:Kiki5211
Title:A Walk to Remember
Authors:Nicholas Sparks
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Romance, Drama

A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks (1999)

adult (13) Adult Fiction (14) cancer (43) chick lit (45) death (58) drama (27) ebook (12) faith (11) fiction (402) hardcover (11) high school (20) leukemia (26) love (70) love story (53) made into movie (22) marriage (13) movie (44) Nicholas Sparks (44) North Carolina (25) novel (42) own (34) read (82) religion (12) romance (327) Sparks (16) tearjerker (14) teen (15) to-read (57) YA (11) young adult (20)

English (109)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (111)
Not as filling or intense as a multicourse dinner with dessert, but satisfying in its own way, like snacking on a cup of yogurt.

Really, I needed something short and sweet in the midst of my heavier (or darker) reading and editing material. I had a keener reaction to the movie than to the book, likely because I saw the movie first, which I enjoyed. The book was nice all the way through, but it didn't affect me much until Jamie finally made her fateful admission to Landon. Not a spectacular work of English, and I didn't shed any tears, but I did smile at some parts, and I think the book did what it had to do.

Again, short and sweet. My first literary spin with Sparks--I wouldn't mind taking another. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Apr 10, 2014 |
this was my first Nicholas sparks novel,but definitely not my last. actually it probably wont even be my last this week since i just bought safe haven as a recommendation from my cousin. i didn't read what either book was about before purchasing them and i didn't see the movie. to be honest i have never even heard of Nicholas sparks but i am so glad i found this novel because it was such a great read. i have always been a big fan of tragedy novels and movies and i love a good love story. this one had such great characters in it and was packed full of enough emotion for an entire series. it took place in the 50's which gave the innocents of the characters more credibility and made this story believable. i don't know if i have ever cared as much about a character in a novel as i did about Jamie and the amount of love between her and Landon was so much deeper than any other novel i have ever read. ( )
  justin.eaton.35 | Feb 5, 2014 |
Main character's name is Landon Carter
  butterkidsmom | Jan 18, 2014 |
Excellent - tearjerker ( )
  soosthemoose | Jan 15, 2014 |
I was unsure about reading this novel due to the fact that I had already seen the movie plenty of times, but I was pleasantly satisfied when I had! It takes place in a small town in Beaufort, North Carolina during the 1950's. The book is narrated by Landon Carter, a 17-year-old senior who has his whole life planned out, until he reconnects with his soon to be love of his life, Jamie Sullivan. The two are complete opposite, Landon being a rebel child and Jamie being the minister's daughter, but that doesn't stop them from falling for each other instantly. When Landon hears the tragic news of Jamie's diagnosis, he stuck by her side like his life depended on it! I loved how there were many different scenes placed in the text that weren't in the movie. Reading the book allows the readers to imagine an alternate ending for the the perfect middle and end. A Walk to Remember, by Nicholas Sparks, is beautifully written and nothing short of an epic love story. It's a novel for the ones who love and enjoy the heart touching telling between two soul mates. I absolutely loved the book and wasn't able to put it down until the very last word!
  khausamann | Jan 12, 2014 |
When I was seventeen, my life changed forever.

What a valuable lesson this novel serves to teach. Those who may be different from us, status or otherwise, can be the most wonderful people to know.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446693804, Paperback)

In the prologue to his latest novel, Nicholas Sparks makes the rather presumptuous pledge "first you will smile, and then you will cry," but sure enough, he delivers the goods. With his calculated ability to throw your heart around like a yo-yo (try out his earlier Message in the Bottle or The Notebook if you really want to stick it to yourself), Sparks pulls us back to the perfect innocence of a first love.

In 1958 Landon Carter is a shallow but well-meaning teenager who spends most of his time hanging out with his friends and trying hard to ignore the impending responsibilities of adulthood. Then Landon gets roped into acting the lead in the Christmas play opposite the most renowned goody two-shoes in town: Jamie Sullivan. Against his best intentions and the taunts of his buddies, Landon finds himself falling for Jamie and learning some central lessons in life.

Like John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany, Sparks maintains a delicate and rarely seen balance of humor and sentiment. While the plot may not be the most original, this boy-makes-good tearjerker will certainly reel in the fans. Look for a movie starring beautiful people or, better yet, snuggle under the covers with your tissues nearby and let your inner sap run wild. --Nancy R.E. O'Brien

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:27 -0400)

A romance featuring a troublesome teenager in South Carolina who is changed for the better by the love of a girl. She is the angelic daughter of a local minister and the boy joins her in doing good deeds. But she has a secret which will break his heart.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,484,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible