NurtureShock: New Thinking About Children by…

NurtureShock: New Thinking About Children (edition 2011)

by Po Bronson, Ashley Merryman

Info:Twelve (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:***

NurtureShock: New Thinking About Children by Po Bronson

English (54)  Dutch (2)  All languages (56)
A great book and I appreciated much of the parenting advice (backed up by some research) from the authors. There were a few chapters that I found somewhat odd, but overall it's a good book. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
I've been quoting anecdotes and studies from the blog created by Bronson and Merryman to promote Nurtureshock for nearly a year. So when I saw the paperback sitting on one of the "featured" tables at my local Schuler's Bookstore, I figured it was about time I actually bought the book.

I was a little disappointed by how much of the material was already familiar. In particular, the chapter on race held very little information for anyone who had followed the blog. However, even if the entire book had been similarly over-exposed, I could have probably still been persuaded that the book was worth its purchase price simply to have all those studies and stories in one place, for reference and for foisting on others. Happily, though, once past this chapter (a scant quarter of the way through the book), I was regularly regaled with new theories and insights once again.

I ended up quite as enthusiastic about this book as I had been about the blog. I am now constantly telling stories from the chapter on the importance of sleep -- only somewhat less so from the chapter on language acquisition.

The book does have its flaws. It is a series of "hey, isn't this interesting?" wanderings, and seems to lack a central theory to pull it together, other than just "hey, this raising kids stuff isn't quite what we thought it was." I suppose that's why it made just as much sense in blog form. While the desire for such an over-arching theory occasionally chafes while reading, I found it forgivable, as the strength of all the new information was more than interesting enough to carry me along. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
Alternative title to this book could be:

All Your Instincts About Parenting are Wrong
This is How We Unknowingly Harm Our Kids

Nurture Shock has been a New York Times Bestselling title and made a number of waves when it was first publishes. Bronson and Merryman discuss a myriad of topics and parental instincts that are actually damaging to our children. Some of the notable elements are:

Read more at: http://thenovelworld.com/2014/07/28/nurture-shock-by-po-bronson-and-ashley-merry... ( )
  TheNovelWorld | Sep 5, 2014 |
Each chapter deals with a different parenting issue and presents the latest research on the topic. The first explains how certain types of praise intended to give children self-confidence can backfire and make them less inclined to take on challenges. This is perhaps the most important chapter, but many others are also extremely helpful, like the one on sleep needs and what even small amounts of sleep deprivation does to children's learning. This is a good resource for parents and it is written in a very readable style. ( )
  ChristianR | Aug 15, 2014 |
Very interesting. I've enjoyed Bronson's other books and am learning a lot from this one too. ( )
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
But to judge from these pages, the authors are a bit too enthralled with their academic sources. Their penchant for describing psychological studies and research projects as if they were chemistry experiments, with phrases like “the test of scientific analysis” and “the science of peer relations,” conjure up the image of Thomas Dolby repeatedly exhorting “Science!” ......Bronson has adroitly polished a fairly unoriginal subject into high-gloss pop psychology.

Po Bronsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Merryman, Ashleymain authorall editionsconfirmed
My wife has great taste in art, with one exception.

In a world of modern, involved, caring parents, why are so many kids aggressive and cruel? Where is intelligence hidden in the brain, and why does that matter? Why do cross-racial friendships decrease in schools that are more integrated? If 98% of kids think lying is morally wrong, then why do 98% of kids lie? What's the single most important thing that helps infants learn language?
NurtureShock is a groundbreaking collaboration between award-winning science journalists Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman. They argue that when it comes to children, we've mistaken good intentions for good ideas. With impeccable storytelling and razor-sharp analysis, they demonstrate that many of modern society's strategies for nurturing children are in fact backfiring--because key twists in the science have been overlooked.
Nothing like a parenting manual, the authors' work is an insightful exploration of themes and issues that transcend children's (and adults') lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:53 -0400)

Award-winning science journalists Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman demonstrate that many of modern society's strategies for nurturing children are in fact backfiring--because key twists in the science of child development have been overlooked. The authors discuss the inverse power of praise, why insufficient sleep adversely affects kids' capacity to learn, why white parents don't talk about race, why kids lie, why evaluation methods for "giftedness" and accompanying programs don't work, and why siblings really fight.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,885,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible