Homes and Other Black Holes by Dave Barry

Homes and Other Black Holes

by Dave Barry

This books is an illustrated close look at many aspects of homeownership, from looking at houses to lawn care. Dave Barry mercilessly distorts very familiar situations you will recognize, for the sake of amusement. With a useless "Index". (Under "Death, Penis" you discover that a rock band provides T-shirts to your workmen festooned, with photographs, of Death Penis? Who knew?)

First words: "The desire to own a home of one's own has been a part of human nature ever since that fateful moment, millions of years ago, when our earliest ancestors climbed down out of their trees and moved into their very first caves. It was a major moment in history, and its glory was dimmed only slightly by the fact that their furniture did not arrive for another 250,000 years."

Sample quote: "If God had wanted us to spend all our time fretting about the problems of homeownership, He would never have created beer."

Illustrated by Jeff MacNelly (creator of "Shoe" and "Skyler"): Drawing of homeowner in the aisle of a hardware store gazing at the labels on parts on sale racks--"Friggins", "Nibben Rims", "Barfits", "Weasel Pins", "Narndle bolts", "Metric Fimble Dampers", and of course, "Crudgins". ( )
  keylawk | Jan 4, 2014 |
A fun little book, hitting just close enough to the real horrors of house buying and owning that we can laugh a knowing laugh. ( )
  wdwilson3 | Apr 8, 2011 |
Do NOT get rid of this book! Even though it's a bit dated, and some of Dave's humor... is kinda hard to get, this is a MUST read the next time you contemplate moving. My wife and I have moved three times in our marriage... and each time we fervently vow it will be the last. We read this book together for a little comedy.. and it helps. ( )
  clif_hiker | Dec 12, 2009 |
Dave Barry's observations about home ownership still ring true twenty years after their publication. The wisdom and insights hidden beneath the humor are things that every homeowner should or will know eventually.

My wife, who usually turns up her nose at my humor books, read it out of desperation and was laughing out loud. I have
enjoyed many of Dave Barry's other books, and this one did not disappoint. ( )
  ASBiskey | Feb 28, 2009 |
Bought this originally for my parents just after they finished building their home. I read it recently and found it funny and sarcastic. As a homeowner myself, now, I could really relate to it! ( )
  tjsjohanna | Apr 26, 2008 |

Dave Barryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
MacNelly, JeffIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The desire to own a home of one's own has been a part of human nature ever since that fateful moment, millions of years ago, when our earliest ancestors climbed down out of their trees and moved into their very first caves.  It was a major moment in history, and its glory was dimmed only slightly by the fact that their furniture did not arrive for another 250,000 years.
If God had had wanted us to spend all our time fretting about the problems of homeownership, He would never have created beer.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345394402, Mass Market Paperback)

So much classic humor comes from anxiety--think of all the befuddled "little men," from James Thurber to Bud Abbott to Woody Allen. One of the most breakdown-inspiring activities in modern life is buying a house, and Dave Barry is a battle-scarred vet of the whole real estate experience. This book is his therapy.

There's nobody better than Barry to mine this territory, and every page of Dave Barry's Homes and Other Black Holes yields up nuggets of the good stuff. Here are a few words from somebody who has been there, done that: "Most experts recommend that, for maximum effectiveness, you should look at forty-five or even fifty houses per day. Experienced home shoppers often reach the point where they can leap out of the real estate broker's car, look at a house, and get back into the car before it reaches a complete stop."

The book also discusses the myriad details of settling into your new life, including a section on making new enemies, dealing with contractors, and redecorating. "The main tip you will pick up is that if you want your house to look really nice, you do not necessarily have to have professional training or even a 'flair' for design; all you need is to have more money than the human mind can comprehend."

As always, Barry is assisted throughout by the illustrations of Jeff (Shoe) MacNelly, making Dave Barry's Homes and Other Black Holes a very funny book and excellent housewarming gift. --Michael Gerber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:56 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,633,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible