Hot Commodities: How Anyone Can Invest…

Hot Commodities: How Anyone Can Invest Profitably in the World's Best… (2004)

by Jim Rogers

It is July. A combination of great weather, family events and just plain laziness has conspired to limit my postings.

I decide to travel to my local library for inspiration. In what I am sure author Jim Rogers will read as a confirming contrary indicator, I found his book gathering dust in a rarely frequented corner.

“Good,” I think. “The book is not new. I can read it quickly, poke some fun at the author and gather some quick votes.”

To my surprise, I reaped more - a great idea. In my past I generally lost money when I purchased more commodities than I could eat in a single sitting.

Whether my idea yields gold or serves as ballast for my portfolio, only time will tell. Roger’s book is well-written and thoroughly researched. His strategies are clear and concise. It was a great read.

All-in-all, I could not ask for a better yield from a July trip to the library.

Penned by the Pointed Pundit
July 21, 2006
8:07:35 PM ( )
  PointedPundit | Mar 23, 2008 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812973712, Paperback)

According to Jim Rogers, "commodities get no respect." Here are a few reasons why he thinks they should: they are easier to comprehend and study than stocks and behave more rationally since they are subject to the basic laws of supply and demand; they have outperformed many other investment options in recent years; it is foolish to ignore an entire sector of the marketplace; and a bull market is currently under way in commodities--a trend that Rogers expects to last for a least a decade longer. Further, Rogers believes that you cannot be a successful investor in stocks, bonds, or currencies without an understanding of commodities. Hot Commodities: How Anyone Can Invest Profitably in the World's Best Market is designed to introduce the novice to the basics of investing in commodities as well as explain what they are and why they are important. In doing so, he shatters some myths about the relative risks of commodities, explains the relationship between the stock and commodities markets, and provides a succinct analysis and history of the global oil, gold, lead, sugar, and coffee markets.

Rogers also offers practical advice and information for beginners, including the best resources, how to read the commodities reports in the newspaper or on television, the various ways to open an account, information on index funds (such as Rogers' own index fund that he started in 1998), mechanisms, terminology, and other vital details people must know before investing. Clearly written and entertaining, Hot Commodities offers a solid introduction to investments that many people, including financial advisors, fail to give the proper respect. --Shawn Carkonen

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:39 -0400)

Shares the secrets of investing in the commodities market, explaining the cyclical and historical patterns of basic supply and demand and offering practical advice on how to take full financial advantage of such patterns.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,146,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible