Dark Tower: Treachery by Stephen King
The ka-tet of Roland, Alain and Cuthbert have returned safely to their home in Gilead. But all is not well. Roland has kept the evil Maerlyn's Grapefruit and has become obsessed with peering into its pinkish depths despite the deadly toll it's taken on his health. And what the young gunslinger sees brings him the darkest of nightmares. Meanwhile, Roland's father has led a posse in search of those who threatened his son's life in Hambry-John Farson and the Big Coffin Hunters. And in this encounter, Stephen Deschain's life may be forfeit. Collecting: Dark Tower: Treachery #1-6… (more)
Member:AmCorKragujevac
Title:Dark Tower: Treachery
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:Robin Furth, Peter David, Jae Lee (Illustrator), Richard Isanove (Illustrator)
Info:Marvel Books (2009), Edition: First Printing, Hardcover, 144 pages
Tags:R19

The Dark Tower: Treachery by Stephen King

I enjoyed "Treachery" far more than the previous book "The Long Road Home." "Treachery" fleshes out what happens to Roland and his mother; things that are only somewhat referenced at the very end of "Wizard and Glass." With the introduction of Aileen, a girl who has the audacity to want to be a gunslinger, I was afraid we were going to get a story arc full of feminist rhetoric, but this was not so.

The writing is much better than the previous book too. Robin Furth is getting much more adept at capturing Stephen King's so utterly unique voice. ( )
  Jarratt | Feb 4, 2019 |
Like the second collection, [b:Dark Tower The Long Road Home|2834890|Dark Tower The Long Road Home|Peter David|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1224793721s/2834890.jpg|2860996], this was new, original material and it was AWESOME. I can never get enough of Roland and Mid-World and, despite not much face time for Roland himself, this did not disappoint. Recommended for Dark Tower fans. ( )
  writertomg | Sep 6, 2017 |
As usual, I am enjoying reading these graphic novels at a fast pace and learning about new characters and expanding the Roland universe. This time we meet Aileen, Cort's niece, who aspires to be a gunslinger.

For the rest of the review, visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/108683.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Aug 19, 2016 |
This is the third book in the Dark Tower graphic novel series based off of the full length series by Stephen King. I enjoyed this book quite a bit. It’s a very dark and complex story set in a sort of post-apocalyptic fantasy world with a spaghetti western feel to it.

This book, as the name implies, is about treachery. Roland and his ka-tet return to Gilead triumphant, but Roland continues to struggle against the pull of Maerlyn’s Grapefruit. We are also introduced to Aileen, the daughter of Cort, who despite being a woman is determined to become a Gunslinger. Roland’s father continues to struggle against treachery from Farson’s men and his own informants. Roland’s mother also returns home after some time at a convent, however she isn’t totally ready to give up her allegiance to Marten. Things are basically building towards disaster the whole book.

As you can tell from above the story jumps around quite a bit and is getting quite complex and epic in proportion. It wasn’t hard to follow though. The illustration is very very good and the characters very distinct looking. I love the full color and all of the detail in the illustration, it is just fantastic.

My favorite part of the book was the introduction of Aileen. I know in my review of the first book in this series I complained a bit about the lack of strong female characters, Aileen goes a long way towards solving that problem. She is determined to become a Gunslinger even though it’s a occupation only allowed for males. She is also the daughter of Cort and gives us some incite into Cort’s character. Additionally she is funny and smart which makes her fun to read about.

Roland is in the story a lot more too. I feel like we haven’t really gotten to understand him all that well because he’s been in and out of the story so much. This story focuses more on him and we get to know him a lot better in this book as well.

The book ends in utter disaster, I mean it is well written but you can just tell these characters are just at the start of a vast amount of suffering. This is definitely an adult book; it is brutal and violent and of course there is nudity. It’s a dark and moody story.

Overall I enjoyed this third book in the Dark Tower graphic series. The story is complex but still easy to follow and the illustration is spectacular. I would recommend to fans of dark fantasy graphic novels. I am definitely looking forward to reading the fourth book in the series, The Fall of Gilead. ( )
  krau0098 | May 31, 2015 |
This is probably my favorite of all of the Dark Tower graphic novels so far. We get a little more insight into what spurred Roland and crew into their quest for the tower, and more background on the events that transpired after the ka-tet returns from Mejis.

To be completely honest, I can’t say that I’m a super fan of graphic novels. Not that I have anything against GN’s, I just don’t really have any particular passion for them, and not much experience with them either. I mean, I think the artwork in this series is good.. But it could be completely horrible and I’d have no idea at all. I don’t read these because they are graphic novels… I read them because they are another piece of the Dark Tower story, and I want all of the pieces.

So that said – don’t take my ratings of these GN’s too seriously. Four stars, sure, why not? I have nothing to compare it to, and I liked it, so that seems about right to me. But if you’re looking for a well-rounded and critical review… You’ll have to look elsewhere. ( )
  breakofdawn | Jun 11, 2013 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Furth, Robinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
David, Petersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
He should be out working the fields, this youngster.
This is an omnibus edition and should not be combined with the individual issues of the comics series.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,803,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible