Lit: A Memoir (P.S.) by Mary Karr

Lit: A Memoir (P.S.) (edition 2010)

by Mary Karr

Member:avidreader
Title:Lit: A Memoir (P.S.)
Authors:Mary Karr
Info:Harper Perennial (2010), Edition: 1 Reprint, Paperback, 432 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2012

Lit by Mary Karr (Author)

Lit is poet Mary Karr's third memoir. It is her story of her alcohol-fueled early career. Longing for a stable family, she thinks she and her husband Warren can build one. After she gives birth to her son Dev, she begins to realize the gaps in their relationship and how alcohol is filling in those gaps.

When I started reading this, I didn't realize it was the author's third memoir. I felt like I was walking into the play right before intermission. Now I know why - this is one set that should be read in order. Never having read any of Karr's poetry, I can see why she is a successful poet. Her gift for using language is rich and inspiring. I appreciated her honesty about her alcoholism and depression. ( )
  Hope_H | Jul 10, 2016 |
I hated this book even though it was clearly well written. ( )
  ChrisWay | Jul 5, 2016 |
Two memoirs. One poetry book. One writing book. Yes, it was a Mary Karr week.

My Mary Karr reading frenzy all started quite innocently. I took a writing class last summer at Inprint in Houston. Our teacher told us Mary Karr was coming to Houston in September. I spontaneously decided to buy a ticket, vaguely remembering that I'd read her first memoir, Liar's Club, back twenty years ago or so. When the date of Karr's reading approached, I was exhausted by all the beginning-of-the-year stuff we teachers experience but I remembered a book was included in the price of the reading, and I didn't want to miss out on picking up that book. So I reluctantly decided to go. When I googled the address of the reading, I was surprised to see that it was being held in a church. Must not have been able to book the Wortham for that night, I thought.

I was wrong. It was no accident that Mary Karr was at Christ Church Cathedral, an Episcopal Church in downtown Houston, built in 1839; all her readings were being held in churches.

I was intrigued. An author in a church. Imagine that.

Mary Karr was fascinating. "I was a strange child," she told her audience at the reading. "I was not a happy child. But there was something about reading memoirs that made me feel less lonely." Karr shared her new book, The Art of Memoir, and suggested that through our stories we manufacture a self. "Writing a memoir is like knocking yourself out with your own fist," she told us.

All her books, Karr explained, could be summed up: "I am sad. The end."

In her life, Karr survived her alcoholic and dysfunctional parents to become an alcoholic and dysfunctional parent herself. And somehow she broke free of all that, mysteriously embracing both writing and the Catholic Church.

Mary Karr is a little older, a little less functional Texas-rooted me. Like me, she has both the redneck-storytelling people and the salvation-through-reading people in her family tree.

That was enough. I raced home from the reading and put everything I could find of Mary Karr's on hold at the library. I was amazed to find that not only were all three of her memoirs at the library, but that I could also check out and read one of her books of poetry.

I'll just tell you that her books are mostly "I am sad." But, happily, there is a little more there before "The end."

Beautiful writing. Sad stories. And redemption. Mary Karr. ( )
  debnance | Oct 11, 2015 |
This book begins as a dark and harrowing story of a woman out of control who is a raging alcoholic who considers suicide. I was pleased that Karr's story became upbeat as she desperately worked to stop drinking and to become a good wife and mother. Her husband is shown to be patient and good. Her mother was volatile and given to unpleasant scenes most of her life, and Karr writes about facing her mom and helping her as she aged. At her lowest points good people supported Karr and she received unexpected help. When she needed a car, for example, an acquaintance offered her the use of her car for the summer. "Such unexpected gifts feed the growing faith that some mystery is carrying me." A key part of her achieving a sober life involved her finding and growing her Christian faith, a surprising and beautiful grace note. ( )
  hangen | Aug 28, 2015 |
Mary Karr can't help writing well. It's the poet in her. But not only that, she also wants to tell us how it was for her. She really wants to reveal it, not to titillate us, but to be seen.

We've all read lots of stories already with the same plot outline. The conversion story. Or the "here's how I was saved" story. A lesser writer would have done it the same old way but she made it new. ( )
1 vote Gimley_Farb | Jul 6, 2015 |
We believe she means every word, fiercely dredging up memories, however wrenching to revisit. At the same time she's keeping a cool eye on what makes a story work.

In a gravelly, ground-glass-under-your-heel voice that can take you from laughter to awe in a few sen­tences, Karr has written the best book about being a woman in America I have read in years.

“Lit” is by no means a perfect performance: the sections dealing with the author’s ex-husband, Warren, feel oddly fuzzy and abstract, but for the reader who can manage to push those sections aside, the book is every bit as absorbing as Ms. Karr’s devastating 1995 memoir, “The Liars’ Club,” which secured her place on the literary map.

Passage home? Never.
The Odyssey, Book 5, Homer (trans. Robert Fagles)
For Chuck and Lynn Pascale and for Dev: Thanks for the light
Any way I tell this story is a lie, so I ask you to disconnect the device in your head that repeats at intervals how ancient and addled I am.

The author reveals how, shortly after giving birth to a child she adored, she drank herself into the same numbness that nearly devoured her charismatic but troubled mother, reaching the brink of suicide before a spiritual awakening led her to sobriety.… (more)

134 wanted2 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,498,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible