The Fourth Part of the World: The Race to…

The Fourth Part of the World: The Race to the Ends of the Earth, and the…

by Toby Lester

English (6)  Dutch (1)  All languages (7)
Received as an ARC a while ago, but I've only just had time to start something so long. So far, so good.

"The fourth part of the world" is America, and the occasion of the LOC's purchase of a map occasioned its writing. Lester is a good writer and keeps the information flowing. ( )
  OshoOsho | Mar 30, 2013 |
This book was extremely interesting and I couldn't put it down. When it was over I found myself wanting to read more and have the rest of the history of the Americas mapped.

I was thinking for a minute of what else I can say about this book but there isn't anymore I need to add, there's nothing else to say, it's just that good a book. ( )
  RockStarNinja | Mar 25, 2012 |
So much more than a story about a map. Or so much more of a story than you thought a map could tell. I'll have to go see the real thing at the Library of Congress sooner rather than later. ( )
  DirkHurst | Jul 31, 2010 |
Very informative book, filled with details (which I like!). Tells of the beginning of mass produced maps, which also corresponds to when North America is discovered. Very well written. - Greg
Interesting but overly detailed - Rich ( )
  wolffamily | Jul 4, 2010 |
The earth is placed in the central region of the cosmos, standing fast in the center, equidistant from all other parts of the sky . . . . It is divided into three parts, one of which is called Asia, the second Europe, the third Africa . . . . Apart from these three parts of the world there exists a fourth part, beyond the ocean, which is unknown to us.--Isidore of Seville, Etymologies (circa A.D. 600)
To the four parts of my little world: Catherine, Emma, Kate, and Sage
Old maps lead you to strange and unexpected places, and none does so more ineluctably than the subject of this book: the giant, beguiling Waldseemüller world map of 1507.

A chronicle of the early sixteenth-century creation of the Waldseem?uller map offers insight into how monks, classicists, merchants, and other contributors from earlier periods shaped the map's creation.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,483,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible