The Brightest Star in the Sky by Marian…

The Brightest Star in the Sky

by Marian Keyes

Recently added byonceinabluemoon, sarams, GUnten
    Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: A well-handled magical element ties these two enjoyable books together.
    Thanks for the Memories by Cecelia Ahern (karenlisa)
    karenlisa: This book very much reminds me of the author Cecelia Ahern.

English (57)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (1)  All languages (62)
I don't normally read books of this genre (it's listed as chick-lit and/or romance). But I found the book by a pool in Thailand, and it had the word star in the title, so I thought that I'd give it a chance as I sunbathed.

I have to give the book four stars due to the pace in which I consumed the book (the short chapters made it so easy to just keep reading). It was funny, clever, Irish. I loved how early on I was invested in the characters. It was a little annoying not knowing the point from which the narrator is coming from, but about 2/3 through the book enough clues are given, so my annoyance waned. Also, I saw as to why Maeve was distressed SO early on that it was a bit frustrating for me to read about her. Also I disliked Jemima's 'death scene', it was a bit too cheesy , but the way the Grudge was wonderfully done.

So, overall, quite cheesy, sublimely funny, sad at parts, and an expectedly campy ending.
  Court09 | Apr 1, 2014 |
3 1/2 stars

What if you were a soul in search parents to be born to? That is the premise of this book.

A soul has been directed to 66 Star Street - four flats - where it will find at least one of it's parents. It must observe the residents and determine which of those residents will become it's parent(s). We get to spend 60 days observing the residents with this soul before it finally makes it's choice.

It is an interesting concept and the stories of each resident are very well told with humor, understanding, and emotion.

I did enjoy this book quite a bit purely for the uniqueness of perspective and the enjoyable writing. It is, however, quite a long book at 612 pages and I'm not quite sure the length is justified. ( )
  ABShepherd | May 15, 2013 |
Okay. I don't know what it is with Marian Keys fiction books but some how it is always a pleasure to read them. Especially her last books. Only one so far I did not really like was Angels.
She has a gift of drawing you in to her characters and make them come alive. It is not so that from page 1 I am sucked in but slowly she manages to grab me and I have a hard time putting the book down.
I like the fact that people in her books have real problems.
Can't wait for her next book but at the end of this one she tells us she only writes 1 book every 2 years so guess I'll have to wait.

Are there any other writers you would recommend that write a bit like her? ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
My family and I read The Brightest Star in the Sky at the same time and we would discuss it at dinner each evening. This was the first book I read by Marian Keyes and I liked it so much that I purchased a few more of her books. The book is about the people who live in an apartment house at 66 Star Street. It has enough interesting characters in it that everyone can find someone to relate to, to love, or even to hate. The book sucks you in, body and soul, and does not let you go, not even on the last page, because you will carry it with you for days after you finish it. ( )
  BevAsh | Mar 30, 2013 |
I was very pleased I bit the bullet and read what I first, rather prematurely, assumed to be formulaic chick-lit. This is much more than that. It is original, witty and touches on some serious issues intelligently and sensitively. ( )
  cathymoore | Jan 16, 2013 |
For Dylan Martin
June the first, a bright summer's evening, a Monday.

Magical. Whats wrong with that?!

Fate is on its way to the tenants of 66 Star Street, bringing with it love and tragedy, friendship and heartbreak, and the power to change lives ... One of them is falling in love; another is torn between two lovers. For some, secrets they want to stay buried will come to light and for others the unveiling of those secrets will have tragic consequences.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Brightest Star in the Sky by Marian Keyes was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,356,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible