The Brightest Star in the Sky by Marian…

The Brightest Star in the Sky

by Marian Keyes

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: A well-handled magical element ties these two enjoyable books together.
    Thanks for the Memories by Cecelia Ahern (karenlisa)
    karenlisa: This book very much reminds me of the author Cecelia Ahern.

English (63)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (1)  All languages (68)
If you think the plot summary sounds silly, ignore it. Marian Keyes, as usual, delivers great characters, drama, and humor. ( )
  LynneCatherine | Mar 21, 2018 |
Not a good starting point for Keyes I guess. I have heard of Keyes but hadn't read her before. I wanted something a little lighter after my reading-palooza over the weekend. Unfortunately this wasn't it. Another review on Amazon says that this isn't the book to start with Keyes if you haven't read her before and I agree.

It's a weird premise. A spirit roams around the apartment building and observes the lives of the tenants. There's a taxi driver, a married coupon, an older woman and her foster son, a professional career woman, her boyfriend, etc. They all have their interesting lives and the spirit observes them all.

Yet, the book was pretty dark for a supposed "chick lit" author. Everything from a rape scene to a death at the end to mental illness. It's not light and fluffy. And while it was nice to see a chick lit novel address such topics, I'm not really sure if it was addressed really well. The author gives a highlighted thanks to the Dublin Rape Crisis Center which made me cringe a bit.

I suppose if you like your chick lit with a supernatural element this might not be a bad borrow from the library. But it might be uncomfortable/triggering for some and overall I didn't think it was a good book. And while sometimes I'm willing to give the author another shot if there's another book by them that sounds interesting, I'm not really sure I want to read anything else by Keyes. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
Couldn't get into this at all. Didn't like the way it was written, the viewpoint didn't grab me at all. Shame. I really like most of her other books. ( )
  lydiasbooks | Jan 17, 2018 |
Although I usually can rely on author Marian Keyes to give me the right mix of romance, humor and life lessons when I am in the mood for some chick-lit, The Brightest Star in the Sky missed the mark and left me underwhelmed. This book which is told by a spirit, follows the entangled lives of 7 or so neighbours. We are told that this spirit is going to change the life of at least one of these people, but we must wade through some 600 plus pages to find out what this spirit’s mission is.

Although told in a light-hearted, breezy style, the plot does take a darker turn with the back story of a couple of the characters but I still felt the book followed a designated format that failed to totally capture my interest. The romantic resolution was not a surprise and after such a long buildup, the climax of the book felt forced and rushed.

Although the author’s wit and her plot gimmicks fell rather short for me with this book, I can easily forgive her this one miss, as I have loved pretty much everything else I have previously read by her. My suggestion is if you are going to give this author a try, pick a different book, perhaps one from her Walsh Family series. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Aug 31, 2017 |
A sprite comes to earth and tells the story of several individuals who live in an apartment building.
Clever story, wonderfully told.
Listen on audio Caitriona Keyes - Irish ( )
  Indygirl | Aug 5, 2016 |
For Dylan Martin
June the first, a bright summer's evening, a Monday.

Magical. Whats wrong with that?!

Fate is on its way to the tenants of 66 Star Street, bringing with it love and tragedy, friendship and heartbreak, and the power to change lives ... One of them is falling in love; another is torn between two lovers. For some, secrets they want to stay buried will come to light and for others the unveiling of those secrets will have tragic consequences.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Marian Keyes's book The Brightest Star in the Sky was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,806,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible