HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Daisy Miller by Henry James
Loading...

Daisy Miller

by Henry James

Other authors: See the other authors section.

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
2,256None2,833 (3.39)176
Recently added byLaura_Jones, barringer, NadineC.Keels, toedebw, Geedge, jasonandsonpardun, Azaleabud, Mackenzie.Webb, private library
Legacy LibrariesH.D.
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 176 mentions

Showing 1-5 of 38 (next | show all)
In the end, good for Winterbourne. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Apr 10, 2014 |
Purtroppo, secondo me, questo libretto non è il titolo migliore con cui approcciare Henry James: credo proprio che, al contrario dei suoi romanzi più noti, non sia destinato a diventare un classico – anzi, mi spingo a dire che probabilmente negli omnibus e nelle raccolte dedicate all’autore sarà annoverato tra le opere di secondaria importanza. Non è che sia un brutto libro: il suo più grande difetto è, a conti fatti, il fatto di essere figlio del suo tempo. Il comportamento di Daisy (niente più che una ragazza carina e sciocca) poteva scandalizzare solo i contemporanei di James, e poteva commuovere solo chi poteva sentire vicina l’ostracizzazione di ragazze come lei – la cui colpa è, sostanzialmente, di essere vitale, di dare confidenza troppo in fretta agli estranei e di avere amici del sesso opposto tali da rendere dubbio il loro rapporto (almeno, secondo gli standard dell’epoca). Insomma, Daisy dovrebbe essere una vittima, nelle intenzioni dell’autore – ma ai miei occhi è sembrata solo una persona troppo noncurante e malaccorta, per quanto pura e onesta nelle intenzioni. Si prova pena per lei, senz’altro, ma le cui azioni sono talmente lontane dall’immoralità di cui viene accusata (almeno, per la sensibilità odierna) che risulta davvero difficile sentirsi scossi da quel che le accade.
Il resto dei personaggi è abbastanza ben delineato, ma non tanto da saltare all’occhio: anche il narratore non è niente più che una figura utile, un ponte tra Daisy, in quanto suo ammiratore, e la società che la rigetta (di cui lui fa parte, per le sue origini familiari e per le proprie scelte morali).
La trama non è particolarmente elaborata – non che questa sia una caratteristica sempre necessaria, ma la sua piattezza non ha certamente aiutato il libro.
Penso leggerò altro di James, perché lo stile, in generale, non è affatto male – tanto che, nonostante Daisy, la lettura è stata tutto sommato piacevole; ho in casa Giro di vite, considerata una delle sue opere principali, attraverso cui spero di riconciliarmi con lui dopo questo primo incontro non memorabile. ( )
  Dasly | Feb 18, 2014 |
This is a character study like most of James' novels, and the heroine, Daisy, is a charming young American girl making the European tour with her unflappable mother and amoral brother. Daisy and her family are blissfully ignorant of the Draconian societal standards of the Europeans and behave as they would in small town America. Aside from the beautifully crafted scenes, James makes the point that the old ways of conduct, the pseudo-morality, must gave way to the more natural and refreshing interactions of the New World.
  TrysB | May 5, 2013 |
Daisy Miller is a nitwit with no brain-to-mouth filter, and Frederick Winterbourne is a waffling creep, and together they form a brick of idiocy that I longed to crash through my computer screen while I read Daisy Miller.

This was my (free via Kindle!) introduction to Henry James. I will try not to let it prejudice me to the point of never touching him again, since I've heard he's a big deal in the world of literature, and I should probably read more of his stuff. I mean, it was well written, but I couldn't stand the characters.

I think a big part of it is that, for some reason, I couldn't separate myself enough to just view the misogynistic stuff that was "normal" back then without having it grate. And I had the same problem I did with a few of Scott Fitzgerald's stories, where I was just SO IRRITATED with these wealthy jackasses who had nothing better to do than create crappy interpersonal drama -- WHILE LOUNGING ABOUT IN AWESOME PLACES -- that I couldn't get past my irritation and enjoy the reading.

Then there's that awesome double standard Winterbourne clings to for the last third of the novella, which made me read faster just so I could finish. It's too short of a story to just leave unfinished, or else I would have added it to the Not Gonna Happen pile. What a jerk!

Anyway, apparently there are two versions of Daisy Miller: the first one and then one that James revised for publication in a collection of his works. I think the one I read was the former, but I don't really care enough to find out.

I'm glad I read it -- for the sake of the notch on my headboard -- and at least the writing was okay, but I am more than happy to leave these characters behind and never look back.


(two-and-a-half stars) ( )
  karinnekarinne | Apr 3, 2013 |
Yes, I picked the smallest, least intimidating James book. But I liked it! I wonder if Fitzgerald's Daisy was inspired by this one? ( )
  JennyArch | Apr 3, 2013 |
Showing 1-5 of 38 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors (26 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Henry Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, GeoffreyEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vondeling, KlaasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Information from the Dutch Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
First words
At the little town of Vevey, in Switzerland, there is a particularly
comfortable hotel.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
This work is the main work for Daisy Miller, by Henry James. It should not be combined with omnibus editions that contain Daisy Miller with other works; work-to-work relationships indicate that information.
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English

None

Book description
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0140432620, Mass Market Paperback)

"Daisy Miller" is a fascinating portrait of a young woman from Schenectady, New York, who, traveling in Europe, runs afoul of the socially pretentious American expatriate community in Rome. First published in 1878, the novella brought American novelist Henry James(1843-1916), then living in London, his first international success. Like many of James's early works, it portrays a venturesome American girl in the treacherous waters of European society - a theme that would culminate in his 1881 masterpiece, "The Portrait of a Lady."

On the surface, "Daisy Miller" unfolds a simple story of a young American girl's willful yet innocent flirtation with a young Italian, and its unfortunate consequences. But throughout the narrative, James contrasts American customs and values with European manners and morals in a tale rich in psychological and social insight. A vivid portrayal of Americans abroad and a telling encounter between the values of the Old and New Worlds, "Daisy Miller" is an ideal introduction to the work of one of America's greatest writers of fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:06 -0400)

(see all 6 descriptions)

Classic novella about a captivating young American whose behavior causes conflicting feelings in the mind of would-be suitor, Winterbourne.

» see all 6 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.39)
0.5
1 11
1.5 4
2 59
2.5 19
3 159
3.5 56
4 152
4.5 5
5 57

Audible.com

Thirteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Penguin Australia

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

» Publisher information page

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

» Publisher information page

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible