Daisy Miller by Henry James

Daisy Miller

by Henry James, Henry James

English (39)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (43)
Read during Winter 2004/2005

The introduction talks of the theme of Americans not fitting into European society but it seemed to me it was "Girl enjoys life and runs afoul of polite society then dies as her punishement." My quest to appreciate Henry James more continues.
  amyem58 | Jul 14, 2014 |
For Christmas, I ordered an mp3 player (Library of Classics) that was pre-loaded with 100 works of classic literature in an audio format. Each work is in the public domain and is read by amateurs, so the quality of the presentation is hit or miss. This was the seventh work I’ve completed and, like the first six, the reader did not detract from the experience.

Daisy Miller is the tale of a young American ingénue spending time first in Switzerland, then in Rome with her mother, brother and “courier”. It is told from the point of view of a suitor, American expatriate Frederick Winterbourne. Daisy is a flighty, naïve young lady who enjoys thumbing her nose at cultural convention and societal mores of the era. Winterbourne is at first captivated, but becomes increasingly disturbed as Daisy’s actions become more and more outrageous and she is shunned by polite society.

This is a very short period piece and is perfectly pleasant without being remarkable in any way. It can be easily read in 2-3 hours. ( )
  santhony | May 8, 2014 |
In the end, good for Winterbourne. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Apr 10, 2014 |
This is a character study like most of James' novels, and the heroine, Daisy, is a charming young American girl making the European tour with her unflappable mother and amoral brother. Daisy and her family are blissfully ignorant of the Draconian societal standards of the Europeans and behave as they would in small town America. Aside from the beautifully crafted scenes, James makes the point that the old ways of conduct, the pseudo-morality, must gave way to the more natural and refreshing interactions of the New World.
  TrysB | May 5, 2013 |
Daisy Miller is a nitwit with no brain-to-mouth filter, and Frederick Winterbourne is a waffling creep, and together they form a brick of idiocy that I longed to crash through my computer screen while I read Daisy Miller.

This was my (free via Kindle!) introduction to Henry James. I will try not to let it prejudice me to the point of never touching him again, since I've heard he's a big deal in the world of literature, and I should probably read more of his stuff. I mean, it was well written, but I couldn't stand the characters.

I think a big part of it is that, for some reason, I couldn't separate myself enough to just view the misogynistic stuff that was "normal" back then without having it grate. And I had the same problem I did with a few of Scott Fitzgerald's stories, where I was just SO IRRITATED with these wealthy jackasses who had nothing better to do than create crappy interpersonal drama -- WHILE LOUNGING ABOUT IN AWESOME PLACES -- that I couldn't get past my irritation and enjoy the reading.

Then there's that awesome double standard Winterbourne clings to for the last third of the novella, which made me read faster just so I could finish. It's too short of a story to just leave unfinished, or else I would have added it to the Not Gonna Happen pile. What a jerk!

Anyway, apparently there are two versions of Daisy Miller: the first one and then one that James revised for publication in a collection of his works. I think the one I read was the former, but I don't really care enough to find out.

I'm glad I read it -- for the sake of the notch on my headboard -- and at least the writing was okay, but I am more than happy to leave these characters behind and never look back.

(two-and-a-half stars) ( )
  karinnekarinne | Apr 3, 2013 |

Henry Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
James, Henrymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, GeoffreyEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vondeling, KlaasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
At the little town of Vevey, in Switzerland, there is a particularly
comfortable hotel.
This work is the main work for Daisy Miller, by Henry James. It should not be combined with omnibus editions that contain Daisy Miller with other works; work-to-work relationships indicate that information.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0140432620, Mass Market Paperback)

"Daisy Miller" is a fascinating portrait of a young woman from Schenectady, New York, who, traveling in Europe, runs afoul of the socially pretentious American expatriate community in Rome. First published in 1878, the novella brought American novelist Henry James(1843-1916), then living in London, his first international success. Like many of James's early works, it portrays a venturesome American girl in the treacherous waters of European society - a theme that would culminate in his 1881 masterpiece, "The Portrait of a Lady."

On the surface, "Daisy Miller" unfolds a simple story of a young American girl's willful yet innocent flirtation with a young Italian, and its unfortunate consequences. But throughout the narrative, James contrasts American customs and values with European manners and morals in a tale rich in psychological and social insight. A vivid portrayal of Americans abroad and a telling encounter between the values of the Old and New Worlds, "Daisy Miller" is an ideal introduction to the work of one of America's greatest writers of fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:06 -0400)

Classic novella about a captivating young American whose behavior causes conflicting feelings in the mind of would-be suitor, Winterbourne.

Thirteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,736,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible