HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Demian by Hermann Hesse
Loading...

Demian (1919)

by Hermann Hesse

Other authors: Karin Bang (Translator)

Other authors: See the other authors section.

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations / Mentions
5,576661,126 (3.92)1 / 68
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

English (54)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Czech (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (66)
Showing 1-5 of 54 (next | show all)
Devia ter lido isso enquanto era adolescente... ( )
  Adriana_Scarpin | Jun 12, 2018 |
This book made such a progress in my brain, that at the moment I finished it, I literally threw it in the ground and couldn't speak for half an hour. It made me think of things I have never thought before. Amazing. :D ( )
  InnahLovesYou | May 2, 2018 |
Although an early work Hesse was 42 at time of publication and no youth. Overall I think he tried to do too much and the novel doesn't come together dissolving into a morass of symbols. The ideas are complex requiring external reading and in the end unless you are religious it won't be terribly profound, except as an intellectual exercise. It was perfect for the post-FIrst World War generation in Germany who questioned authority and God in the face of defeat. And I might have liked it as a younger person in the 1960s counter-culture environment. Hesse is a godfather of counter-culture, though not by design, he was 40 years ahead of his time and couldn't have predicted beats and hippies. But there is a connection worth exploring. Germany's collapse created a new culture that spread westward, not unlike what is happening with new Russian culture spreading in the decades after its collapse. Sadly the Russians do it through a different form of art then prestige literature. ( )
2 vote Stbalbach | Oct 15, 2017 |
Published in 1919, it’s the coming-of-age story of a middle class boy and his struggle between a “world of light” and a "world of illusion". This was my first Hermann Hesse book, and I’ve added several more to my reading list. Good stuff. ( )
1 vote RonTyler | Aug 11, 2017 |
The bird struggles out of the egg. The egg is the world. Whoever wants to be born must destroy a world. The bird is flying to god. The name of the god is called Abraxas.

This book is intensely interesting and so amazing, and I find it hard to believe this is one of Hesse's earliest novels. I don't know what author at that time would wish to start their career with something as controversial as I imagine this would've been. I found it in a dollar box outside a bookstore, an yellowed and slightly scuffed copy, reeking of "read into my mysteries, darling, you won't be disappointed." It's an exceptionally quick read, and definitely worth the time. ( )
1 vote likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
Showing 1-5 of 54 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors (57 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Hesse, HermannAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bang, KarinTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brice, SilvijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lebeck, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mann, ThomasIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roloff, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sīmansons, MārisCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strachan, Walter JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
I wanted only to try to live in accord with the promptings which came from my true self. Why was that so very difficult?
Dedication
First words
I cannot tell my story without reaching a long way back. If it were possible I would reach back farther still - into the very first years of my childhood, and beyond them into distant ancestral past.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Canonical DDC/MDS

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English

None

Book description
Onvergetelijk is de elektriserende schok die 'Demian' na de Eerste Wereldoorlog teweegbracht. Het is een verhaal dat met griezelige nauwkeurigheid de zenuw van die tijd trof en de gehele jeugd in dankbare verrukking meesleepte. - Thomas Mann Nog steeds schijnt deze analyse van de puberteit betrouwbaar. Het gebruik van mystieke tekens en symbolen blijkt bij Hermann Hesse meer dan alleen maar een literair spelletje. 'Demian' is nog altijd een ontwikkelingsroman van de beste soort. De psychische crisisverschijnselen, de overgang van de ene bewustzijnstoestand naar de andere, het is alles uitstekend aangevoeld en verwerkt. 'Demian' is ook bepaald meer dan het verhaal van de jonge Emil Sinclair. Het is hét verhaal van een jeugd gebleven, ook nu nog, na meer dan vijftig jaar. - Martin Mooij in Het Parool In al zijn schijnbare eenvoud is 'Demian' meeslepend geschreven. Het is een variant op het thema, dat Hesse steeds weer bezighoudt: de ontplooiing van een eenling, die eigenlijk in de ogen van 'de mensen' een zonderling is, juist omdat hij anders is dan zij. Dit thema speelt in 'Siddhartha' en in 'De steppewolf'. In vergelijking met laatstgenoemd werk is 'Demian' van eenzelfde constant hoog niveau, als kunstwerk een eenheid, terwijl 'De steppewolf' ongelijker van kwaliteit is, maar enige geniale, niet te overtreffen uitschieters vertoont. - Anne Brandenburg in Haarlems Dagblad
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060931914, Paperback)

In Demian, one of the great writers of the twentieth century tells the dramatic story of young, docile Emil Sinclair's descent--led by precocious shoolmate Max Demian--into a secret and dangerous world of petty crime and revolt against convention and eventual awakening to selfhood.

"The electrifying influence exercised on a whole generation just after the First World War by Demian...is unforgettable. With uncanny accuracy this poetic work struck the nerve of the times and called forth grateful rapture from a whole youthful generation who believed that an interpreter of their innermost life had risen from their own midst."
-- From the Introduction by Thomas Mann

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:14 -0400)

(see all 6 descriptions)

A friend's mother, war, and newly discoverd self-respect draw a young man toward his psychological awakening

» see all 12 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.92)
0.5
1 19
1.5 6
2 64
2.5 21
3 250
3.5 78
4 425
4.5 54
5 392

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,068,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible