Darkness on the Edge of Town (Laura Cardinal…

Darkness on the Edge of Town (Laura Cardinal Series, Book 1) (edition 2010)

by J. Carson Black

Title:Darkness on the Edge of Town (Laura Cardinal Series, Book 1)
Authors:J. Carson Black
Info:Breakaway Media (2010), Kindle Edition, 372 pages
Collections:Your library, eBooks

Darkness on the Edge of Town by J. Carson Black

"Darkness on the Edge of Town" is the first book in the Laura Cardinal series by J. Carson Black. I loved this book and give it a 4 1/2 star rating.

Laura Cardinal is criminal investigator with the Arizona Dept. of Public Safety. She helps the local authorities in small towns with limited resources solve crimes.

This book has her investigating the murder of a 14-year-old girl. The hunt for her killer takes Laura deep into the world of sexual deviants who are using modern technology (computers and cell phones) and social media to entice their "prey." And it simultaneously takes her into the past disappearance of a young girl from Laura's childhood.

The story is good, interesting and fast-paced. It kept me up way too late one night because I couldn't put it down. I loved Laura and can't wait to read more about her! My only negative comment is that the first chapter had so many characters thrown at me that I almost gave up on the book (don't do it - the book is worth the read). It would have been a five star with a few less people to keep track of. But I totally loved the book and will read more of this series. ( )
  bpreed | Nov 20, 2015 |
Easy to take a chance on unfamiliar authors when a collection of four mysteries pops up for my Kindle for $.99. The first was Darkness on the Edge of Town, and I will seek out more from this author.

The plot concerns Laura Cardinal, an investigative agent for the Arizona Department of Public Safety (sort of like the CBI, or Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, etc.) who is sent around the state to help small communities with limited homicide investigation resources. A fourteen-year-old girl has been found dead displayed in a doll's costume in a park in a tourist town. Soon, she is linked to a series of other murders, except that she doesn’t seem to fit the pattern.

There is the usual tension between the state cops and the locals, but the explanation seems more rational in this case than sometimes. Some of the investigative scenes were good, especially the stuff in Florida and her tenacity in the face of adversity. It lacked the more solid authenticity of a McBain police procedural, however (well, except for the Deaf Man.)

The ending was a bit over the top and strained credulity, nevertheless, a good start to what looks to be a series. ( )
  ecw0647 | Jan 18, 2014 |
This was a very solid mystery/thriller. I enjoyed following Laura Cardinal in the story and was very interested in her past. All the different twists and turns in this book kept me on the edge of my seat. I look forward to reading the next book in this series. ( )
  dpappas | Sep 3, 2012 |
Spoilers. I enjoyed reading this book mainly because I know the streets, towns, locations, and peoples populating the book. I knew who the bad guy was fairly quickly, but I didn't pick his accomplices and certainly didn't expect their demise. The ending was exciting. I would like to read another mystery by this author. ( )
  brickhorse | Jan 9, 2012 |
Darkness on the Edge of Town (Laura Cardinal Series, Book One) is a gripping detective novel by J. Carson Black. This book held my interest to the very end.

We're introduced to Laura Cardinal, an Arizona detective with her own set of standards and a bad romantic past. She's a well-written and believable character.

Very good writing by Ms. Black keeps you guessing as you eliminate suspects trying to find the serial killer luring young girls via the internet. The ending is a total surprise. Well worth the read and a great start to a new series. ( )
  Zumbanista | Jul 11, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451213912, Mass Market Paperback)

Laura Cardinal, a detective with the Arizona Department of Public Safety, is called to a crime scene in the town of Bisbee. The body of a teenage girl has been discovered-bearing all the signs of a serial sexual predator, and calling to mind the murder of Laura's schoolmate 18 years earlier.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:15 -0400)

4 avail.1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,859,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible