Super Freakonomics: Global Cooling,…

Super Freakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes, and Why Suicide… (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Steven D. Levitt

Member:ForrestFamily
Title:Super Freakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes, and Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance
Authors:Steven D. Levitt
Info:William Morrow (2009), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 288 pages
Collections:ebooks, Owned, Audiobook, Your library, Willem's books, Read but unowned, Natalia Read in 2012 (inactive)
Rating:***1/2

SuperFreakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes, and Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance by Steven D. Levitt (2009)

English (82)  Dutch (3)  All languages (85)
A interesting read, especially the stuff about prostitution and monkeys using money. What let the book down was the love-in that the authors see to have developed with the people who worked for IV. ( )
  martensgirl | Dec 4, 2014 |
While this book contains little tidbits of information, it is far from the teaching and referencing tool that the original book was. It almost seems like this book was an after thought compiled with information that was leftover from the first book's research. ( )
  Sovranty | Oct 9, 2014 |
Not as good as I remember the first one being, but still an interesting read. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
This second installment in the "Freakonomics" series was an interesting listen but fell short (same with the first book). I really enjoy the Freakonomics bit on NPR and think it would be easy to translate this into a book format but for some reason the books aren't as interesting or compelling. I can't say it wasn't an entertaining read because it did keep my attention the whole time. Some topics I enjoyed more than others and if Levitt wrote another book like this, I would audiobook it in a heartbeat since it makes for a great "listen". ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
I was finding this book mind openingly delightful until the authors did their spiel on the wonders of forceps. They say that the danger of a breech birth is head entrapment (true), but with the invention of forceps the doctor can insert them into the uterus and turn the baby head first so that it can be plucked out like a roast chicken from the oven. Wow, what in the world gave them that idea? Now I'm wondering if the other information quoted is as faulty.
So when I got to their chapter on global warming I took the information with a grain of salt. The authors, on the other hand seem to have been completely reeled in by the people at Intellectual Ventures to the point that they were reluctant to view the self serving information they presented critically. Keep in mind that IV is a patent farm. They have, I think I read, more patents than any other company; so of course they want the world to think their patents are the solution to every problem imaginable. However, I know what I'm talking about when the subject is obstetrical forceps, not when the subject is geophysical sciences. That's why I was pleased to find this open letter from Raymond T. Pierrehumbert, Louis Block Professor in the Geophysical Sciences at The University of Chicago: http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2009/10/an-open-letter-to-steve-le...

He says: By now there have been many detailed dissections of everything that is wrong with the treatment of climate in Superfreakonomics , but what has been lost amidst all that extensive discussion is how really simple it would have been to get this stuff right. The problem wasn’t necessarily that you talked to the wrong experts or talked to too few of them. The problem was that you failed to do the most elementary thinking needed to see if what they were saying (or what you thought they were saying) in fact made any sense. If you were stupid, it wouldn’t be so bad to have messed up such elementary reasoning, but I don’t by any means think you are stupid. That makes the failure to do the thinking all the more disappointing.
Then he goes on to show some of the mathematics involved in their erroneous quoting of the statement that solar cells are inefficient because they release so much warmth into the atmosphere.
Finally I've come to the conclusion that while the book is very entertaining, the hero worshiping from the authors detracts from my ability to rely on their conclusions. ( )
  Citizenjoyce | May 10, 2014 |
Levitt and co-author Stephen Dubner's new book "Super Freakonomics" is a follow-up to their super smash 2005 bestseller, "Freakonomics." Thank goodness they are back -- with wisdom, wit and, most of all, powerful economic insight.

If ever two writers were likely to suffer from "difficult second book" syndrome, it's Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner, authors of the smash-hit Freakonomics, which made them the rock stars of the economics world.

The economist and the journalist again attack the concept of the rational man, via studies involving monkeys, banking records, and doctors. Yet there’s an artfulness missing this time around in their circuitous paths toward obvious conclusions like “technology isn’t always better” and “men and women are different.”

The difficulty with the book is that while the focus may be fairly fuzzy to begin with, it gets a lot fuzzier as it goes on. There’s a long passage about how people behave differently when they’re being scrutinised – thus making a nonsense of most behavioural experiments – and an even longer one about global warming.

Steven D. Levittprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dubner, Stephen J.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Many of life's decisions are hard.

Whether investigating a solution to global warming or explaining why the price of oral sex has fallen so drastically, Levitt and Dubner mix smart thinking and great storytelling to show how people respond to incentives.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141030704, 1846143039

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,430,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible