The Unnamed by Joshua Ferris

The Unnamed (edition 2010)

by Joshua Ferris

Member:TanyaTomato
Title:The Unnamed
Authors:Joshua Ferris
Info:Reagan Arthur / Back Bay Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:**

The Unnamed by Joshua Ferris

Mad Travelers: Reflections on the Reality of Transient Mental Illnesses by Ian Hacking (albanyhill)
    albanyhill: Mad Travelers is nonfiction about dissociative fugue in the 1890s, which had as a symptom compulsive bouts of walking.

English (82)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (85)
Devastatingly sad and beautiful. Some of the most vivid metaphors and similes I've ever read. ( )
  apomonis | Jun 2, 2016 |
clearing my bookshelves - recycling this.
  anglophile65 | Mar 8, 2016 |
I found this book really disturbing. It was well-written and an interesting idea for a book, but when I was done with it, I was left with a feeling of intense discomfort. ( )
  magerber | Feb 22, 2016 |
unique story, struggled towards to end to finish, kodos for not whimping out at the end ( )
  jimifenway | Feb 2, 2016 |
This book made me so sad, yet I was compelled to continue reading it. It's one of the best books I've read so far this year because of it's uniqueness, this and Await Your Reply are so original. I felt a deep sense of doom through the whole book and anyone who knows someone with a mental illness will know exactly what I'm talking about. Mr. Ferris is a great writer, I read his first book and am a fan. ( )
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
Joshua Ferris’ 2007 debut Then We Came To The End fearlessly wielded the first-person plural to chronicle the fall of a Chicago advertising agency through its employees’ eyes. There is no “we” in The Unnamed, his superbly depressing follow-up about a marital crisis with no exit, but the descent is more personal, frightening, and ultimately meaningful.
added by Shortride | editA. V. Club, Ellen Wernecke (Jan 21, 2010)

Though his idea might have worked equally well as a short story, Ferris paces his scenes and writes dialogue that sustains the tension, walking a line between realism and something more estranged, catching the invisible shifting energy in the room when words get spoken.
added by Shortride | editBookforum, Sarah Kerr (Dec 1, 2009)

For Chuck Ferris and Patty Haley
It was the cruelest winter.

Tim Farnsworth is a handsome, healthy man, aging with the grace of a matinee idol. His wife Jane still loves him, and for all its quiet trials, their marriage is still stronger than most. Then one day he stands up and walks out. And keeps walking.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Unnamed by Joshua Ferris was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,389,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible