No Impact Man: The Adventures of a Guilty…

by Colin Beavan

Member:jimrgill
Title:No Impact Man: The Adventures of a Guilty Liberal Who Attempts to Save the Planet, and the Discoveries He Makes About Himself and Our Way of Life in the Process
Authors:Colin Beavan
Info:Picador (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 288 pages

No Impact Man: The Adventures of a Guilty Liberal Who Attempts to Save the Planet, and the Discoveries He Makes About Himself and Our Way of Life in the Process by Colin Beavan

The Story of Stuff: How Our Obsession with Stuff Is Trashing the Planet, Our Communities, and Our Health-and a Vision for Change by Annie Leonard (lemontwist)
    The Year of Living Biblically by A. J. Jacobs (Deesirings)
    Deesirings: Both of these are a memoir of a "rules-based" experience of living for a one year period
    The Power of Habit: why we do what we do in life and business by Charles Duhigg (mene)
    mene: In "The Power of Habit", it is described why people do things a certain way. The reason people buy so many things is also explained. "No Impact Man" is a good example of someone changing their habits (in a very extreme way). The author of "No Impact Man" also talks about why people buy so many things, among other things.… (more)
    Plastikfreie Zone: Wie meine Familie es schafft, fast ohne Kunststoff zu leben by Sandra Krautwaschl (mene)
    mene: Both books are about families who try to live more green, though Plastikfreie Zone focuses mostly on plastic and No Impact Man focuses on reducing the impact on the planet in general. "Plastikfreie Zone" has only been published in German (so far).
    A Life Stripped Bare by Leo Hickman (Camaho)
    Sleeping Naked Is Green: How an Eco-Cynic Unplugged Her Fridge, Sold Her Car, and Found Love in 366 Days by Vanessa Farquharson (Camaho)

English (24)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (26)
Colin Beavan decided to do an extreme environmental challenge, and his wife and little girl were included in the challenge. For one year (though they brought each challenge in in stages, so it wasn't the entire thing all year), they would try to produce no trash, eat sustainably, not buy new things (though second-hand was ok), live without electricity and more. He wanted to see what concessions might even make them happier.

I am impressed! A lot of my friends think I'm extreme, but I wish I could do as much as Colin and Michelle did. Even Michelle, who grew up with money and loved to shop, seemed to get into most of it and even enjoy some of it. It seemed to bring them together as a family - with no tv, or even electricity, they talked more to each other and enjoyed each other's company. I do hope I can do more. Colin does stress that individuals can't do it all alone, though; companies, governments, and bigger organizations also need to help out; but it can start with individuals doing as much as they are willing to do. ( )
  LibraryCin | Aug 23, 2014 |
I wanted to enjoy this. I really did. The mission: have no impact on the environment for one year. Even when this was impossible (his wife couldn't do coffee, elevators in some buildings, etc.), the impossibility is an eye-opener.

Why didn't I like it? I didn't really like Colin. His writing styles oozes immaturity (he has a phobia of talking about toilet paper and sex). He rehashes environmental facts with unoriginal, high school-assigned drudgery.

This book gets three stars instead of two because it still is a necessary story in today's society. We must need take a close look at our lives. Even living in the recycle crazed country of Sweden, trash litters the streets. Excess packaging is an issue. Possession is becoming more and more popular. Do the things that you want really make you happy?

Just get through the Beavan, and it's a good book. ( )
  konrad.katie | Apr 24, 2014 |
A very inspiring book overall. I already recycle, use public transport, try to eat organic, etc., but Beavan's book shows how you have to try to do even more. He has lots of ideas on how to achieve that, and talks about the difference it makes in the quality of one's life (apart from helping the environment at large).

The problem I have with this book is that some parts of it are quite vague, and Beavan sometimes tends to focus in detail on things that are already well known to people of an environmentalist bent. So the content is great, but I wish the focus were a little different. ( )
  rashedchowdhury | Mar 31, 2013 |
This book is about simple living and social ties just as much as it's about the environment. I really appreciated Beavan's humble introspection and his Meaning of Life approach to the issue of lifestyle change. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking to start acting on their liberal guilt about the crazy wasteful American lifestyle.

On the other hand, I would NOT hire Colin Beavan to be my science writer, but oh well. You can't expect everything. ( )
  raschneid | Mar 31, 2013 |
Debates about individual v. collective action, is this a self-promotion vehicle for the author or no, aside.... this book was awesome to me because it inspired me to think about what I am doing and think about some changes I can make, as well as ways I can get involved. Also, being part of the knitting world, I agree on his answer to the individual v. collective action debate - when a few individuals start acting, they can inspire others and then it _becomes_ collective - I have seen it before.
A must read, if only for the list of resources/great variety of ways to take action included in the back. ( )
  sriemann | Mar 30, 2013 |
To you, Michelle, with my deepest love and the hope that you will always write on walls
For one year, my wife, baby daughter, and I, while residing in the middle of New York City, attempted to live without making any net impact on the environment.

A guilty liberal finally snaps, swears off plastic, goes organic, becomes a bicycle nut, turns off his power, and generally becomes a tree-hugging lunatic who tries to save the polar bears and the rest of the planet from environmental catastrophe while dragging his baby daughter and Prada-wearing, Four Seasons–loving wife along for the ride. And that’s just the beginning. Bill McKibben meets Bill Bryson in this seriously engaging look at one man’s decision to put his money where his mouth is and go off the grid for one year—while still living in New York City—to see if it’s possible to make no net impact on the environment. In other words, no trash, no toxins in the water, no elevators, no subway, no products in packaging, no air-conditioning, no television . . .

What would it be like to try to live a no-impact lifestyle? Is it possible? Could it catch on? Is living this way more satisfying or less satisfying? Harder or easier? Is it worthwhile or senseless? Are we all doomed or can our culture reduce the barriers to sustainable living so it becomes as easy as falling off a log? These are the questions at the heart of this whole mad endeavor, via which Colin Beavan hopes to explain to the rest of us how we can realistically live a more “eco-effective” and by turns more content life in an age of inconvenient truths.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:18 -0400)

Bill McKibben meets Bill Bryson in this seriously engaging look at one man's decision to put his money where his mouth is and go off the grid for one year--while still living in New York City--to see if it's possible to make no net impact on the environment. In other words, no trash, no toxins in the water, no elevators, no subway, no products in packaging, no air-conditioning, no television. After this mad endeavor, Beavan explains to the rest of us how we can realistically live a more "eco-effective" and by turns more content life in an age of inconvenient truths.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible