No Impact Man: The Adventures of a Guilty…

No Impact Man: The Adventures of a Guilty Liberal Who Attempts to Save the… (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Colin Beavan

Member:jimrgill
Title:No Impact Man: The Adventures of a Guilty Liberal Who Attempts to Save the Planet, and the Discoveries He Makes About Himself and Our Way of Life in the Process
Authors:Colin Beavan
Info:Picador (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 288 pages

No Impact Man: The Adventures of a Guilty Liberal Who Attempts to Save the Planet and the Discoveries He Makes About Himself and Our Way of Life in the Process by Colin Beavan (2009)

The Story of Stuff: How Our Obsession with Stuff Is Trashing the Planet, Our Communities, and Our Health-and a Vision for Change by Annie Leonard (lemontwist)
    The Year of Living Biblically by A. J. Jacobs (Deesirings)
    Deesirings: Both of these are a memoir of a "rules-based" experience of living for a one year period
    The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg (mene)
    mene: In "The Power of Habit", it is described why people do things a certain way. The reason people buy so many things is also explained. "No Impact Man" is a good example of someone changing their habits (in a very extreme way). The author of "No Impact Man" also talks about why people buy so many things, among other things.… (more)
    Plastikfreie Zone: Wie meine Familie es schafft, fast ohne Kunststoff zu leben by Sandra Krautwaschl (mene)
    mene: Both books are about families who try to live more green, though Plastikfreie Zone focuses mostly on plastic and No Impact Man focuses on reducing the impact on the planet in general. "Plastikfreie Zone" has only been published in German (so far).
    Fast nackt: Mein abenteuerlicher Versuch, ethisch korrekt zu leben by Leo Hickman (Camaho)
    Sleeping Naked Is Green: How an Eco-Cynic Unplugged Her Fridge, Sold Her Car, and Found Love in 366 Days by Vanessa Farquharson (Camaho)

English (29)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All (31)
Fantastic & inspiring. ( )
  scott.myers | Mar 16, 2017 |
There have been a lot of books lately in which the author gives up some modern convenience (or some combination of them) for some period of time. Some of them are pretty awful. But Beavan manages to be both humble and even occasionally funny while narrating his family's attempt to make the smallest negative environmental impact possible while living in New York City and maintaining their usual social commitments, work etc. This is an inspiring book and, while I consider myself to be a "not-that bad" person in my habits (i.e. I buy organic, don't eat "much" meat, walk "most of the time" etc.) I really started to re-evaluate things after reading this book. I especially appreciate the author's openness about discouragments and doubts, but also his emphasis on the personal benefits of living with less, the enhanced family and social time etc. ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  Lunapilot | Jul 19, 2016 |
More than what I remembered the documentary to be, this book is full of wisdom. Especially as I've recently been questioning all the "stuff" I have that I never look at, all the materials I waste when I go to the stop and find every morsel of food wrapped in plastic... this is pretty extreme, but it sure makes you think. ( )
  bjoelle5 | Feb 10, 2016 |
Full disclosure: I just read the biographical parts - I did not read about the studies, facts and examples of how we are screwing up the environment. I already know we're doing a crappy thing to the earth... ( )
  jrsearcher | Feb 12, 2015 |
Our sages taught:

A man should not move stones from his ground to public ground.

A certain man was moving stones from his ground onto public ground when a pious man found him doing so and said to him,

"Fool, why do you move stones from ground which is not yours to ground which is yours?"

The man laughed at him.

Some days later, the man had to sell his field, and when he was walking on that public ground he stumbled over those stones.

He then said, "How well did that pious man say to me, 'Why do you move stones from ground which is not yours to ground which is yours?'"

- Talmud Bavli, Masekhet Bava Kama 50b
To you, Michelle, with my deepest love and the hope that you will always write on walls
For one year, my wife, baby daughter, and I, while residing in the middle of New York City, attempted to live without making any net impact on the environment.

Guilty Liberal
Attempts to erase footprint
Surprised by joy.
(Marissa_Baden)

A guilty liberal finally snaps, swears off plastic, goes organic, becomes a bicycle nut, turns off his power, and generally becomes a tree-hugging lunatic who tries to save the polar bears and the rest of the planet from environmental catastrophe while dragging his baby daughter and Prada-wearing, Four Seasons–loving wife along for the ride. And that’s just the beginning. Bill McKibben meets Bill Bryson in this seriously engaging look at one man’s decision to put his money where his mouth is and go off the grid for one year—while still living in New York City—to see if it’s possible to make no net impact on the environment. In other words, no trash, no toxins in the water, no elevators, no subway, no products in packaging, no air-conditioning, no television . . .

What would it be like to try to live a no-impact lifestyle? Is it possible? Could it catch on? Is living this way more satisfying or less satisfying? Harder or easier? Is it worthwhile or senseless? Are we all doomed or can our culture reduce the barriers to sustainable living so it becomes as easy as falling off a log? These are the questions at the heart of this whole mad endeavor, via which Colin Beavan hopes to explain to the rest of us how we can realistically live a more “eco-effective” and by turns more content life in an age of inconvenient truths.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:10 -0400)

Bill McKibben meets Bill Bryson in this seriously engaging look at one man's decision to put his money where his mouth is and go off the grid for one year--while still living in New York City--to see if it's possible to make no net impact on the environment. In other words, no trash, no toxins in the water, no elevators, no subway, no products in packaging, no air-conditioning, no television. After this mad endeavor, Beavan explains to the rest of us how we can realistically live a more "eco-effective" and by turns more content life in an age of inconvenient truths.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,871,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible